As makeshift “protests” go, the turnout at the state Capitol wasn’t too bad considering it was a Friday afternoon and the temperature in the mid-20′s. I knew the turnout wasn’t going to be fantastic though when I was able to find a parking spot just a couple of blocks from Capitol (here’s a pic taken from where I parked… the “tea party” was on the other side of the building).

I was at a 2nd Amendment rally about ten years ago in the same place and there were at least 10,000 people there. At this event, there were between 500 and 750 people, by my best estimate. My conclusion would normally be that we’re not pissed enough yet. However, when you consider that this is Michigan, this was probably every Republican who lives in a 50 mile radius of the Capitol — and I’m almost not exaggerating.

Here’s a shot I took from the podium (click the pic for a larger version):

And of course there were lots of signs (again, click the pic for an enlargement):

Click here for a picture of the Capitol that I uploaded just because I liked the shot.

Republicans are usually notoriously bad protest organizers, and they need some serious work in this area if they’re ever to have an “impressive” turnout. First off, this kind of thing is what Saturdays are for. When you’re organizing a protest that will consist of hard working people who are angered at continued theft of their earnings, you may not want to schedule the thing while your target protester is working.

That said, it was a good start — though unfortunately not enough for Congress to bat an eye at.

Next time I’d suggest one massive protest in DC instead of many smaller ones in flyover country. After all, the purpose of the Boston Tea Party was to protest out of control tariffs on tea by dumping tea in the sea. So what’s the best way to protest out of control taxes levied by politicians? To go to where they are and… ::splash::

Update: Michelle Malkin has tea party pics from around the country, including one from yours truly.

Comments

33 Responses to “Tea Party, Lansing Edition”

1. Michelle Malkin » Tea Party photo album: Fiscal responsibility is the new counterculture on February 27th, 2009 6:50 pm

[...] Doug Powers in Lansing [...]

2. Your mortgage is not MY problem! - Highlights from Friday’s “tea party” protests all over the country | Fire Andrea Mitchell! on February 27th, 2009 7:42 pm

[...] Doug Powers in Lansing [...]

3. Are Tea Parties Racist? « Locust blog on April 24th, 2010 6:16 am

[...] held on Tax Day — April 15 (a map of all the locations is here). In late February, I attended a tea party in Lansing, Michigan, and will be there again next Wednesday. While there, I spoke with several people, and, while [...]

4. ryan reynolds on August 17th, 2011 9:24 am

Looks like they had a pretty amazing turnout to me!

5. love quotes on September 5th, 2011 2:04 pm

6. scrabble word finder on November 10th, 2011 7:24 am

The purpose of the Boston Tea Party was to protest out of control tariffs on tea by dumping tea in the sea.

7. Padjad on February 14th, 2012 5:09 am

So what’s the best way to protest. Just not to protest!!!

8. teksad on February 17th, 2012 1:01 pm

I’m extremely pleased to read through this original content! Your site appeared to be extremely completely unique and possibly a must read! Compared with other posts, your site was full of subject matter which is fascinating to see! Hope you like my quick remark. Keep publishing! Korstnad

9.  hard wood stairs on February 23rd, 2012 8:32 am

Next time I’d suggest one massive denial in DC instead of many smaller ones in flyover country. After all, the intention of the Boston

10. scrabblefinder on March 17th, 2012 2:10 am

I have read your article..Its quite nice and unique..Keep it up the good work..

11. methylhexaneamine on March 20th, 2012 8:36 am

read your article..Its quite nice and unique..Keep it up the good work..
    buy phenibut

12. shizandrol a on March 20th, 2012 8:37 am

alpha yohimbine cream
    schizandra

13. Parasol on March 28th, 2012 1:27 pm

14. the energy egg on March 31st, 2012 9:19 am

You can see it anywhere and any country. It's common when someone don't agree but publishing it is not common. Thank you, this will be a guide.

15. sano on April 1st, 2012 7:46 am

wooden playhouse

16. sano on April 8th, 2012 1:59 pm

schisandra chinensis berry
    what is yohimbine hci

17. ddasf on April 22nd, 2012 11:09 am

one don't agree but publishing it is n
    ot common. Thank you, this will be a guid
    garden furniture

18. web design cambridge on May 3rd, 2012 7:05 am

one don't agree but publishing it is n
    ot common. Thank you, this will be a guid

19. parasols for sale on May 8th, 2012 5:21 am

Democracy is the most important and common way to describe the view point to the government. I think it is TEA PARTY

20. wooden sun loungers on May 11th, 2012 3:26 pm

I want stylish and comfortable wooden sun loungers
    for my garden can anyone guide me where to purchase?

21. sano on May 27th, 2012 3:53 am

alpha gpc

22. S Buckinghams on June 6th, 2012 12:01 pm

Are you looking for stylish briefcases at reasonable price, no more need to search. You just have to visit a site named S Buckinghams.

23. floor lamps uk on June 6th, 2012 12:04 pm

I currently own two floor lamps uk both are identical to each other and stylish as well.

24. Silver cufflinks on June 20th, 2012 7:51 am

The lansing edition sharing the information about the tea party.

25. Webdesign on July 29th, 2012 2:05 pm

Oh well ladies, I guess it's my turn. Because Willie and I are together this weekend. Were in Chicago if you wanted to know lol. I got him this weekend. Just came back from an Italian restaurant. I'm so full and bout to get really full if you know what I mean.

26. lot for sale in cebu on August 11th, 2012 11:36 am

I know many people want that especially if it is new to them. Even me i been ignorant for than but it give me a good reactants and i knew it so much great about that.

27. beef jerky on August 13th, 2012 6:42 am

The people action by a mass group or collection of groups of people in favor of a political or other cause is what we see in this blog. Because people don’t like the decision or action taken by their government.
    beef jerky

28. mobile price in Pak on August 14th, 2012 6:24 am

You can see it anywhere and any country. It's accepted if anyone don't accede but publishing it is not common. Thank you, this will be a guide.

29. click here on October 19th, 2012 3:21 am

Take a bigger challenge and move forward to succeed. Amazing in here indeed. thanks for sharing.

30. airmax2013 on March 18th, 2013 12:03 am
  31. air max 90 on May 25th, 2013 7:13 am

cheap nike air max 90 http://www.findairmax90.com/

32. Karen Millen on June 4th, 2013 5:21 am

it beautiful. Regarding the first scenarios are used as it will most suitable for even the Yangyang ivory, but only when specific needs. Consequently, the next winter your first big camping Shelco – see a wife. mty

33. wigs canada on September 30th, 2013 1:39 am

We have look start over on the blig posses in the row shape against in buy facebook likes in seems the correct. wigs canada