These entertainers who back all manner of government theft from the paychecks of the rest of us to finance whatever their causes du jour are but who throw hissy fits when their “property” is pilfered never cease to crack me up.

Bono is the latest:

Irish rock star Bono called Sunday for tougher controls over the spread of intellectual property over the Internet, arguing that file swiping and sharing hurt creators of cultural products.

“The only thing protecting the movie and TV industries from the fate that has befallen music and indeed the newspaper business is the size of the files,” the lead singer of the band U2 wrote in an op-ed piece in The New York Times.

Aww… don’t like your property being stolen and re-distributed? Me neither, Bono. Glad to see it irritates U,2.

The “arts” crowd, to a great degree, loses my sympathy on the illegal download and file-sharing issue.

Bono, for example, calls for America to send billions of dollars per year to the world’s poor — and we do (well, we send it, but it doesn’t always get there). Other “artists” call for national health care, etc. That money has to come from somewhere — and in most cases the government must download it from our paychecks.

I consider our paychecks to be our intellectual property. The money a welder earns is because he or she knows how to weld — it’s their intellectual property in a sense. Somebody paid them for their talents or skills, just like somebody who bought a U2 CD. Who is Bono to tell the American government that they should reach in to that person’s paycheck, download their property without compensation, and distribute it around the world?

How come it’s okay to freely re-distribute the money taxpayers worked hard to earn but not the music U2 worked hard to create? In other words, I’ll give a damn about Bono’s property when he starts giving a damn about yours and mine.

Comments

8 Responses to “Downloading, Redistributing Bono’s Property Against His Will is Bad; Same Rules Don’t Apply to Your Property”

1. cdl on January 3rd, 2010 3:57 pm

Amen, brother!

Socialism is wrong because stealing is wrong.

I wonder if Bono and his fellow 'artists' got paid for the broadcast of their music for the enjoyment of the gitmo detainees.

I guarantee you there's a man named Muhammad down there that wishes he had never had the music of Bjork forceably downloaded into his brain.

Now that's torture.

2. Nanny on January 3rd, 2010 5:57 pm

What is the old saying – what's good for the goose is good for the gander? Bono is just like all the other liberals. They don't mind sticking it up our arse but when the tables are turned they just can't seem to bend over and take it.

And Doug thanks for the comparison – it is an excellent example of redistribution of wealth. And like Detroit – they still don't get it.

3. Scott on January 3rd, 2010 8:30 pm

Maybe another Live Aid concert? You know, WORK for the money you want to get.

4. Joyanna Adams on January 3rd, 2010 10:55 pm

I bet you his last hit that Bono makes more money being the left's big UN songboy than he has ever made off of any sales of his albums…

Which means, they have found someone in the future to take his place, so that's why he's screaming…

Also, they want more control over the internet.

Great points Doug!

Nobody complained then.

5. Jim T. on January 4th, 2010 1:36 am

"By the way, I remember a time when you could just pop in a cassette into your radio and tape your favorite song…and people still went out and bought the album."

Actually there were complaints. The RIAA lobbied the cassette makers to add a surcharge payable to artist royalties to make up for this supposed loss.

The RIAA did the same for CDR's.

11 years ago I set up my home studio using Roland mixing and recording gear with the ability to burn the songs to CD.

So, when I went to buy blank CDR's for burning music that I composed, recorded, mixed, etc., I had to pay royalties to other millionaire crybabies. I don't download and burn much of other people's music but when I do I don't have any qualms about it since the RIAA had already found me guilty just by purchasing blank CD's. Since they forced me to do the time I can now commit the crime.

But I don't disagree with your point Joyanna. There certainly wasn't as much of an uproar about cassette tapes as there is now. The difference being that the music industry these days just can't accept that their artists suck and nobody wants to buy their crap.

6. Joyanna Adams on January 4th, 2010 9:25 pm

You are so right Jim! I thought it was only ME..(and not because of my age) that thought the music of today was…pretty bad…Thanks for the info!

Now I know.

By the way, as a former professional musician, who still has a TAPCO four track downstairs collecting dust, I appreciate seeing someone who actually tried to put his stuff out…miking my drums alone was a big headache!

7. Jim T. on January 5th, 2010 12:33 am

I don't even want to begin thinking about miking drums. I've been in a number of studios and always appreciated having an experienced engineer set up the mics for our drummer.

For my own personal home studio work I program my drum machine and record direct. Guitars and Bass I go direct too. Miking is such an inexact science if you aren't paying enough attention to the room acoustics.

8. The Stupidest Things I Have Read Today | Benjamin B. Daniels on January 5th, 2010 1:34 pm

[...] January 2010 By Ben 0 In Democrats …are courtesy of Doug Powers: I consider our paychecks to be our intellectual property. [...] How come it’s okay to freely [...]