If this trend catches on, they’ll have to make a sequel to the “Bad Idea Jeans” commercial.

From Post Politics:

Donn Janes, a candidate for Congress in the 8th District, confirms that he will not file to run in the Republican primary but as an independent in the general election as a ‘Tea Party’ movement aligned candidate.
[...]
“As of today, I am no longer going to run for the U.S. House of Representatives as a Republican,” Janes announced. “We need to change the way we elect our representatives. We continue to rely on the two-party system to provide us with different choices; but thanks to this corrupt system, there is little difference between the two of them.

I understand and agree with the sentiment (I’m a right-wing extremist tea partier too), but a move to a third party is political suicide. Do you know who is happiest to see this kind of news? Democrats. The cogs in the existing machine — including the RINOs — would be thrilled to see this kind of thing catch on and the conservative movement fragmented between two or three different political organizations.

Why can’t third parties make it (gubernatorial elections seem to be an exception)? The two parties in power make the rules from ballot regulations to debate parameters, but also because the electorate is fragmented.

In 2006 I wrote a column entitled “Fight for Your Right to Third Party,” and I outlined why those of us who may instinctively believe that a third party is the way to fix the problem should think again (or at least put that instinct on the back burner for a while), and use the existing mechanisms to infiltrate an existing party and fix the problem from the inside-out instead of the outside-in. The latter isn’t possible barring a physical revolution.

Nationally speaking, third parties can play a spoiler, but they are rarely the victor — and certainly never will be to a degree where we have the numbers necessary to turn things around.

Comments

8 Responses to “Bad Idea: Congressional Candidate Bolts GOP for Third ‘Tea Party’”

1. Jeremie Jordan on January 12th, 2010 4:44 pm

Doug, I am not longer a registered Republican. I can't take swallowing shit just so we have viable response to the Donkeys. I am all for the Tea Party. The Sons of Liberty were greatly out numbered when they started too. With lobbyists running each party, I don't believe either can be saved. I don't want to start the country over, just want to start over with new people running it.

2. Nanny on January 12th, 2010 5:00 pm

I agree Jeremie – I too am no longer a registered republican. I do get email polls from Gallup and Rasmussen and when asked what party I affiliate with I always check other and when available state – Conservative. I am done with all politicians as they all pander to get votes but can't seem to find a pair once in DC. They are nothing but whores for our hard earned tax dollars.

3. Nanny on January 12th, 2010 5:05 pm

I also let the RNC know that they will no longer get one cent of my money. I will contribute directly to the candidate. They can't seem to pick a conservative candidate and waste useful money going after RINO's instead of backing the conservative. They are looking to sustain Republican numbers instead of putting principal over politics. It may take longer than 2010 or 2012 but we will get them to listen by withholding our money and MAKING them support a conservative, principaled candidate.

4. onthow on January 12th, 2010 6:27 pm

I agree with you Mr. Powers. I wish it wasn't the case, but all that third parties do is help the opposition get elected. I don't like the Republicans, but they are the only ones who can keep Democrats from getting elected. Growing and voting for a third party will just guarantee that Democrats will be running the country for years to come. Even if the Tea Party eventually wins some congressional seats, they will still have to caucus with Republicans. And by that time, the Democrats will have done so much damage that recovery will be impossible.

5. Rick on January 12th, 2010 5:56 pm

The Tn 8th & 6th dists. have “retiring” Dems.,either of whom might have survived a tough fight. Janes’I-TP calculation might be to distinguish himself from a crowded field of Repubs. I’m in the commie-occupied 5th so am not up to speed on the 8th. The 6th looks promising for Repubs.

Andrew Jackson-D once ran as a Whig-Democrat.

Tea Party-Democrat,anyone?lol.

6. Nanny on January 12th, 2010 11:21 pm

To All – I am not really for a third party but I do think the Tea Party can infuse the Republican party with a mandate. Stick to principals! And send a message to the RNC! Send direct contributions to candidates instead of letting the RNC CHOOSE these crappy candidates. Money does talk and when the RNC starts to see empty coffers perhaps THEN they will get the message and start listening to their base and support those running on CONSERVATIVE principals. The Tea Party can be a guiding force and keep the RNC on top of it's game.

7. d.eris on January 13th, 2010 2:22 am

The solution to this problem is very simple. If you don't want to split the conservative vote, then don't vote Republican, but rather for the conservative alternative to the GOP candidate.

8. onthow on January 13th, 2010 8:32 am

The solution is not only very simple but also quite obvious. The problem, of course, is implementing the solution. I think you have the five of us on this board, but unless you know of a way to contact and convince (depending on the election) all of the other millions of voters to vote for the alternative conservative candidate instead of the Republican candidate, a third party will always split the vote.