The Olympics is a corporate advertising event of gargantuan proportions, but participation is restricted to the Olympics Committee, broadcast network and advertisers.

The players can take no part in either advertising or “propaganda,” as the IOC calls it — as some US hockey players are finding out:

Trouble is brewing over United States ice hockey goalie Jonathan Quick and the “Support Our Troops” slogan on his helmet. Slogans of this sort are banned under Olympic rules and Quick will be told to remove it, the International Ice Hockey Federation has told Reuters.

Ryan Miller has also been told to remove the slogan “Miller Time” from his helmet while the third American netminder Tim Thomas had already placed a sticker over a slogan on his mask for the Vancouver Winter Olympics.

IOC rules forbid political propoganda or advertisements being placed on equipment. “If the players don’t agree with the interpretation they can ask the USOC (United States Olympic Committee) to petition the IOC.”

Miller said he had agreed to remove “Miller Time”, which is also a popular beer company slogan, but might fight to keep “Matt Man”, a tribute to a dead friend from being taken off his helmet.

“Your petition to the IOC will be processed just as soon as the Olympics are over.”

It seems like the IOC would want a stronger “support our troops” message — without troops there wouldn’t have been anybody to stop the madman who they chose to host the 1936 Summer Olympics.

You know who this will upset? Sean Penn. He told Larry King that he too supports the troops — well, as long as they’re not fighting anybody.

Update: According to Ace of Spades, the IOC has said nothing of having Ryan Miller remove this piece of American symbolism on the side of his helmet:

Comments

12 Responses to “US Olympic Hockey Goalie Ordered to Remove ‘Support our Troops’ From Helmet”

1. Nanny on February 16th, 2010 7:21 pm

I hope he does remove it and replaces it with F*$K YOU IOC!

2. Mike on February 17th, 2010 3:47 am

Amen to that. Before i saw your post I was thinking the last 3 words of your post.

3. TainoEdK on February 17th, 2010 2:29 am

I say replace it the back of a hand painted in desert camouflage and IOC under it. Let them read between the lines.
    Go on with the game of Hockey and beat them Freaking Socialists on the ice, get the gold.
    Our Hockey Girls Beat China 12-1 and blanked the Russians 13-ZIP and our boys won 3-1 over the Swiss
    Keep doing it bring home the goal.

4. Marie on February 24th, 2010 10:25 pm

The USA mens ice hockey team in the 2010 Olympics are great men!!. They represent our country in a positive light.
    They are not men of war off the ice. They can have an opition about their country. I'm glad they support the troops. On the helment or in their hearts. Going for the Gold! Go USA!

5. Hockey Equipment Stu on September 2nd, 2010 12:31 am

I personally believe he should be allowed to wear it. He's a hockey goalie and they are allowed to have personalized graphics on their gear, namely their helmet. I guess you have to look at who its upsetting though. Someone had to have complained that he was wearing it, and it probably wasn't a hockey fan.

6. venda de emails on October 31st, 2010 4:18 pm

I think it silly to have to remove the symbol of the helmet, has so many other more relevant thing to worry about. this is just a detail.

7. hotel furniture on May 13th, 2011 2:27 am

You've done an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I'm sure they'll be benefited from this web site.

8. loja de tecidos on May 15th, 2011 10:29 pm

hum really interesting, but it just dont seem to make a difference

Loja de tecidos
    fabrica de tecidos
    tecidos

9. braze weld equipment on May 30th, 2011 3:38 am

Very good article. Opened up my mind to many cool possibilities.

Keep em’ coming!

10. iui on June 11th, 2011 2:58 am

The post is really interesting and informative. I feel my time is not wested on internet. Thank you.

11. goog on August 17th, 2011 9:14 am

Very good data here.

12. Lista de Email on October 4th, 2011 10:46 pm

Nice.. Very good article.