I thought I’d mention this before somebody started saying that the lunatic who crashed an airplane into an IRS office in Austin, Texas was a teabagging right-winger, but… oh wait, too late:

Anyway, like I was saying, before anybody at the Democratic Underground or somewhere else has a chance to say that this guy was a Palin and Cheney following teabagger, I want to point out that … oh crap… wait a minute

Um, in any case, anybody who takes the time to read Joseph Stack’s manifesto will realize that he was a depressed mental case who hated Bush/Cheney, was anti-corporate, anti-church, thought the American medical system needed fundamental change and loathed private health insurance companies.

The last time I checked, most of those things aren’t large planks in the Tea Party platform.

So, before anybody else has an ignorant kneejerk reaction

Okay, nevermind.

Comments

11 Responses to “Friendly Reminder: Loon Who Crashed Plane Into IRS Office Wasn’t a Tea Partier”

1. Scott on February 18th, 2010 9:21 pm

LOL

You'd think that the lip-strumming morons at MSNBC (or any other feeble attempts at printing or broadcasting the "news") would get their facts straight before foisting their curious beliefs on the casual news consumer.

Oh, wait a minute. They have never let that stop them before, so why fact check now?

2. Rick on February 18th, 2010 7:44 pm

I don’t know about the other stuff but most Americans are flying with him when it comes to the IRS.

It is sad when anyone breaks down or is broken down.

3. Nanny on February 18th, 2010 11:06 pm

From what is coming out in little bits and pieces it sounds like he started two companies that were suspended by the State of California. And by his rants about wealthy corporations – sounds like he had sour grapes and a poor business approach about making it as his own boss. And some severe mental health issues to boot.

4. Sam on February 19th, 2010 4:12 am

I sincerely hope that you are a licensed mental health professional, as your "prognosis" smacks of ignorant psychobabble

5. Sam on February 19th, 2010 4:16 am

I agree. I really feel for Mr. Stacks. Suicide is the one sin one can never be forgiven for. And yes, it is sad that anyone has to be broken on the wheel, to be sacrificed to the greedy IRS. However, I also sincerely believe that, when the economy breaks down this year (I'm an investment professional), that many more will "break" – and that many who feed at the public trough will pay for what they've done to those like Mr. Stacks.

6. Sam on February 19th, 2010 4:10 am

Stacks was not a "loon." That is sheer psychobabble. The poor man had been stepped on one too many times by an out of control government. He could not take it anymore. In America you are supposed to succeed on your own, but it has become so corrupt that it now depends on either who you know, or if you are a minority. I really believe that, when the economy crashes this year, there will be many more Joe Stacks – only that they will not die, but will cause the death of many who feed at the government trough.

7. archer52 on February 19th, 2010 1:20 pm

This is my take on this. I actually understand the very real fear and concern some have over being subject to an all powerful government and its abuses. However, this guy was not running on eight cylinders. His desire to buck the system had to stem from something other than making a principled stand.

That said, I do get the frustration many feel. In my post, I remind people of the nineties and how the ATF went seriously insane for a while. I was a detective back then and we had some serious discussions about the limits of law enforcement. My decision on how to handle my responsibilities was to follow this principle- "First do no harm." Just because the law says we can doesn't mean we should.

The Feds forget that because of the lack of accountability. As I say in my post the trouble with poking someone's eye out is they are likely to poke yours out as well. McVeigh was the shot across the bow and I do think it made a number of people in the federal government take a step back.

Recently, the IRS upgraded some of its small arms, including their assault shotguns. That caused quite a stir. My take was that it is a mistake to arm anyone to the level they think they are invincible because it is human nature to go out and try to prove it.

As I concluded in my post-

"Violence against people who work for the government is not the answer. Changing the policies of the government by voting out the offenders is the best method. However, if the government loses its collective mind and becomes violent itself, then all bets are off. I think that was the message they learned back in the nineties and I hope have remembered up till today.

When citizens and the government start shooting at each other, nobody wins."

8. Nanny on February 19th, 2010 1:40 pm

I would say he had mental health issues because no one who is sane would blow up their house and ram a plane into a building. No matter what your problems are personal responsibility trumps violence. I would compare him to the nut job Amy Bishop who murdered her fellow professors in Alabama.

9. classicfilm on February 20th, 2010 12:51 am

Well said.

10. classicfilm on February 20th, 2010 12:50 am

Everyone has pain, everyone has been stepped on, everyone has baggage in their lives. However, for Joe Stack to steal a plane (and how in the world is THAT even possible in the Golden Age of Obama with "increased national security"???) with the intention of RAMMING it, a la 9/11, like a fiery missile into a building because he blamed everyone in his life for his poor choices is NOT sane. Empathize if you will – this man had many demons in his head, as did Dr. Amy Bishop – but to justify this is akin to justifying jihad or serial killing or child rape or any other number of heinous crimes against humanity.

Sorry, Charles Manson was a loon and this guy was, too. Thank God no innocent people were killed by Stack's maniacal actions.

11. Kathy on February 20th, 2010 4:45 am

LOL! You mean libs need a friendly reminder, just like how neocon wingnuts have to be reminded CONSTANTLY that Obama is not a Muslim who "pals around with terrorists" and did not go back in time to plant his own birth announcement in a Hawaiian newspaper?

That aside, this person, as do all people, need to learn some personal responsibility and coping skills. I'm sorry, but it's not right to blame the government, corporations, or others for your own personal problems. Yes, they may do crappy things, but you always have a choice. ALWAYS.