I’m not big on boycotts, but once in a while I don’t mind it when those who often call for boycotts are reminded that they’re standing on a two-way street — especially sports teams who rely on dollars from fans of all walks of life.

Since about 70% of Arizonans support the new immigration law, wouldn’t it be great if basketball fans in Phoenix reminded these rich, arrogant jerkoffs where their paychecks come from by making them look up tonight to see the stands only 30% filled — if that?

From ESPN:

PHOENIX — The Phoenix Suns will wear “Los Suns” on their jerseys in Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals on Wednesday night, owner Robert Sarver said, “to honor our Latino community and the diversity of our league, the state of Arizona, and our nation.”

The decision to wear the jerseys on the Cinco de Mayo holiday stems from a law passed by the Arizona Legislature and signed by Gov. Jan Brewer that has drawn widespread criticism from Latino organizations and civil rights groups that say it could lead to racial profiling of Hispanics. President Barack Obama has called the law “misguided.”

Let’s see how long Sarver can pay Steve Nash & Company with money from tickets & merchandise sold only to illegal aliens, Jesse Jackson and Shakira. That’s some “social justice” I’d like to see.

In the bigger picture, I think it’s hilarious that the NBA — Deadbeat Dad Central — is getting preachy about the rest of us not wanting to support illegal aliens. Get some of your fellow players to pay for their own f*#@*$g kids before you chastise the rest of us for not wanting to support somebody else’s family.

Phoenix — do the country a favor and don’t show up tonight.

And by the way, “Los Suns” is an Anglo-derived marketing ploy. Could the NBA be any more disrespectful to their Latino brothers and sisters?

Update: Here’s the jersey, which could be made to say “Losers” with some very modest modifications:

Michelle suggests “Los Moochers” — heh.

Update II: San Antonio was going to be “Los Spurs” but they couldn’t get the uniforms done in time. Charles Barkley is surprised that they couldn’t get any immigrants to knit them some. If this came from the mouth of a white commentator he would have been fired or at least suspended (isn’t that kind of like profiling, but worse?).

ESPN suspended Bob Griese last year for making a taco joke, but TNT will let Charles Barkley say anything, I guess.

Comments

25 Responses to “Los Boycott: Don’t Go to the Phoenix Suns Game Tonight”

1. Tom Anderson on May 5th, 2010 5:30 pm

Excellent idea! I WAS a Suns fan… not anymore. What in the world ever got into Steve Kerr's head? Whatever it was… he's crossed the line. Jordan's comment (above) is right on. I was given tickets for next Tuesday's game and I've decided to go to the stadium tonight and burn them in front of the arena. I, for one, will never attend one of their games again. Go San Antonio!

2. Michelle on May 5th, 2010 3:49 pm

Couldn't agree with you more! I live in Az and am a long-time Suns fan. I've already sent an email expressing my displeasure to the Suns organization. I don't have tickets to the game tonight, but I won't be watching it on TV either. That's just my little way of showing what I think of Sarver's blurring the line between professional sports and politics! Guess all 70% of us are "misguided". Yeah almost.

3. Rick on May 5th, 2010 3:52 pm

National Basketball Association?
    Which nation??

Everybody’s got a cause.Not so long ago,it was the United States of America…and there were 50!

4. Joyanna Adams on May 5th, 2010 3:54 pm

Great idea. Maybe if more of us hit these organizations by withholding our "dollars" they would stop this stuff, and that goes for all the sports owners and union groups.

5. Jordan Perlow on May 5th, 2010 4:29 pm

If I had tickets, I would burn them in front of the US Airways Center and drive home and read a book instead of watching the game. Since I don't have tickets, I might see if I can buy the cheapest ones I can find and then burn them in front of the arena. To read the dribble (i.e. opinion) coming from Steve Kerr comparing our straightforward law against something ILLEGAL is nauseating. Anyone who thinks they can bring up a fantasized corallary between this law and Nazisim need psychiatric help. The fact is that victims of the Nazis that escaped or were saved became immigrants themselves; LEGAL IMMIGRANTS; and these were my ancestors. Please Phoenix Suns, spare us your pathetic rationale for mixing sports and politics. Whatever the outcome of the game; your all a bunch of losers.

6. Tom on May 5th, 2010 5:29 pm

Dont support the Suns is the best way to send a message to those over paid kids playing kids sports

7. Tom Anderson on May 5th, 2010 5:30 pm

8. Jordan Perlow on May 5th, 2010 7:54 pm

Way to go JOECAT. That's all these people understand; the mighty $$$$$.
    They think they are so high and mighty and can say whatever they want without consequences. Reagan used the term "silent majority". We are quiet. We don't skip work to hold signs up when we have obligations to our jobs and our families. But we don't need to fork over our hard earned money and be subjected to the rantings of an owner, GM, commissioner and players who have obviously shown us that they DO NOT KNOW who their fan base is. Huge mistake on their part. I also have called and complained and sent an email at suns.com (look under "contact us" at the bottom of the site. Let them know. Silent no longer.

9. P J on May 5th, 2010 6:26 pm

It is a disgusting thing what the Suns are doing. If I had ever been a fan of theirs, it would end right now.

10. marty on May 5th, 2010 6:27 pm

Maybe the Suns should show they're not racist and open their doors tonight and let all the illegals just walk in the back door for free. That would probably last until they ate all the complimentry food, trashed all the bathrooms, had 2 or 3 families in each seat until the paying customers got fed up and left, when a player got hurt he would have to wait in line 4 hours to see the trainer, every ahchor baby that was popped was automatically given lifetime season tickets, they go back to their lockers after the game and everything is gone, when Nash here's he is being traded because they could save millions by signing a guy who would do the point guard job for $7.50 an hour cash. When they finally get fed up the next headline you would read, Racist Suns lock doors only allowing paying customers in, they need to be boycotted.

11. marty on May 5th, 2010 6:27 pm

12. Montana on May 5th, 2010 6:44 pm

I saw Jay Leno at Correspondent Dinner his best line was; “That was my favorite story (this year) Republicans and a Lesbian bondage club. It’s ironic, Republicans don’t want lesbian getting married but they do like watching them “tie the knot”. So I thought that was interesting.”

You can say the same about Tea Party (they are haters not debaters or as others have dubbed them screamers not dreamers), they say they respect the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence but they do not mind passing laws, through weak Governors (no one voted for this crazy) who only care about getting reelected on the backs of undocumented workers, that will not pass Constitution muster, just like Arizona’s House Bill 2779 from two years ago and your MLK Day ban, keep passing them Arizona and the rest of us will continue to challenged them in a court of law and you will fail again (and yes we will Boycott Arizona). Their phony patriotism is sickening; they are just racists going by another name. We all know you are just itching to put a sheet on their head? Let’s face it the Republicans had eight years to deal with health care, immigration, climate change and financial oversight and governance and they failed. It appears that the Republican Party is only good at starting wars (two in eight years, with fat contracts to friends of Cheney/Bush) but not at winning wars as seen by the continuing line of body bags that keep coming home. The Republicans party will continue turned inward to their old fashion obstructionist party (and their Confederacy appreciation roots) because they continue to allow a small portions (but very loud portion) of their party of “birthers, baggers and blowhards” to rule their party. I will admit that this fringe is very good at playing “Follow the Leader” by listening to their dullard leaders, Beck, Hedgecock, Hannity, O’Reilly, Rush, Savage, Sarah Bailin, Orly Taitz, Victoria Jackson, Michele Bachmann and the rest of the Blowhards and acting as ill programmed robots (they have already acted against doctors that perform abortions). The Birthers and the Tea party crowd think they can scare, intimidate and force others to go along with them by comments like “This time we came unarmed”, let me tell you something not all ex-military join the fringe militia crazies who don’t pay taxes and run around with face paint in the parks playing commando, the majority are mature and understand that the world is more complicated and grey than the black and white that these simpleton make it out to be and that my friend is the point. The world is complicated and people like Hamilton, Lincoln, and Roosevelt believed that we should use government a little to increase social mobility, now it’s about dancing around the claim of government is the problem. The sainted Reagan passed the biggest tax increase in American history and as a result federal employment increased, but facts are lost when mired in mysticism and superstition. For a party that gave us Abraham Lincoln, it is tragic that the ranks are filled with too many empty suits and the crazy Birthers who have not learned that the way our courts work is that you get a competent lawyer, verifiable facts and present them to a judge, if the facts are real and not half baked internet lies, then, and only then, do you proceed to trial. The Birthers seem to be having a problem with their so called “facts”. Let’s face it no one will take the Birthers seriously until they win a case, but until then, you will continue to appear dumb, crazy or racist, or maybe all three. I heard that Orly Taitz now wants to investigate the “Republican 2009 Summer of Love” list: Assemblyman, Michael D. Duvall (CA), Senator John Ensign (NV), Senator Paul Stanley (TN), Governor Mark Stanford (SC), Board of Ed Chair, and Kristin Maguire AKA Bridget Keeney (SC), she wants to re-establish a family values party, that’s like saying that the Catholic Church cares about the welling being of children in their care, too late for that. Yee Haw!

13. mike on May 5th, 2010 6:55 pm

i would say go to game put up signs that say you support the law and see if they respect you political views or they try to throw you out of the game that would be good

14. Joecat on May 5th, 2010 7:04 pm

I just finished calling and canceling my pack of tickets for next year. I had 4 tickets to ten games that cost me $2000.00 plus parking. The poor operator who helped me said she had already fielded several other calls from ticked off fans. Lets see how many paying fans they can afford to lose. I also emailed the Suns and NBA commissioner letting them know my disgust.

15. Jordan Perlow on May 5th, 2010 7:54 pm

Way to go JOECAT. That's all these people understand; the mighty $$$$$.

16. Jordan Perlow on May 5th, 2010 7:54 pm

Way to go JOECAT. That's all these people understand; the mighty $$$$$.

17. Pablo on May 6th, 2010 12:45 am

Suns, I am coming to your game tonight, but I am not buying ticket. I am going to just sneak in, but I will only take a seat the paying public doesn't want. If anyone asks to see my ticket I will call them a racist. If you have me arrested I will sue you for violating my civil rights. Can you tell me where to get the free beer and hotdogs?

This what I sent to the Suns. Do you think they will get the point?

18. Pablo on May 6th, 2010 12:45 am

This what I sent to the Suns. Do you think they will get the point?

19. AreYouHighOrWhat on May 6th, 2010 3:38 am

Add another to growing list of politicians, celebrities, and d- list wannabes entering "Jane Fonda" territory as they open their mouths and reveal their Anti-American sentiments. Beware the bitter American consumers and their ability to hold a grudge, I know I don't "play boycott" I make it permanent, ask the homephobes in Colorado (LOL)

20. AreYouHighOrWhat on May 6th, 2010 3:38 am

21. @1776blues on May 6th, 2010 3:40 am

I am in agreement with everything you wrote and all the comments were pretty spot on. The Suns just slapped every Arizonan who support this law in the face by doing what they did. Either the people who support this; don't work, have mega bucks or they are illegal cause it makes no sense to me how anyone can support illegal immigration. What on earth are they smoking?

See the numbers here; http://immigrationcounters.com/

22. NewBits May 05, 2010 « Gray3′s Thirdsphere on May 6th, 2010 4:05 am

[...] Too bad “Los Suns” defeated the Spurs but I still hold out hope the Spurs will defeat them over the series. Maybe when they lose it’ll teach them a lesson to stay out of politics and stick to basketball. Boycotting the Suns until they end their hysterical ignorance based childish and demeaning political stunts in Arizona. Los Boycott: Don’t Go to the Phoenix Suns Game Tonight : The Powers That Be [...]

23. Michael on May 16th, 2010 6:27 pm

Viva Los Suns

24. eric on March 23rd, 2011 12:26 pm

very silly

25. eric on March 23rd, 2011 12:33 pm

Funny then All Arizona street and some city names,And restaurant,and school,Names OHHH yeah political peoples name should be changed and banned.OHH dont forget the New home styles.Paint names,food, Furniture,Home decore,YOU GUYS ARE VERY SILLY. GROW UP.The people that want to enforce these silly laws come from imigrational decent.Dont forget where the settlers originally came from.So you arnt even A American..