A while back I wrote about my family’s little runaround with the Census Bureau.

Many of the problems can be due to the general incompetence of the bureaucrats who organize the count — or disorganize it rather — but this time around much of the disarray is intentional:

Last week, one of the millions of workers hired by Census 2010 to parade around the country counting Americans blew the whistle on some statistical tricks.

The worker, Naomi Cohn, told The Post that she was hired and fired a number of times by Census. Each time she was hired back, it seems, Census was able to report the creation of a new job to the Labor Department.
[...]
Each month Census gives Labor a figure on the number of workers it has hired. That figure goes into the closely followed monthly employment report Labor provides. For the past two months the hiring by Census has made up a good portion of the new jobs.

Labor doesn’t check the Census hiring figure or whether the jobs are actually new or recycled. It considers a new job to have been created if someone is hired to work at least one hour a month.

Another worker wrote to John Crudele, the author of the article, to say that he was on his fourth rehire with the Census Bureau, and each rehire is recorded as a “new job created,” and each time he’s paid to take the same re-training.

Last month, Plugs Biden said that the economy would be creating 500,000 jobs a month soon — and I don’t doubt it. Hell, they’ll probably get to that number just by hiring, firing and rehiring four Census workers 125,000 times each.

With this kind of sleight of hand accounting going on, you can’t help but wonder what the real unemployment rate is in this country.

Comments

8 Responses to “The Government’s ‘New Jobs’ Sleight of Hand With the Census”

1. OK_Loyalist on May 27th, 2010 12:31 pm

If you think that this is outrageous, imagine if ACORN still had their tentacles a hold the Census.

Hopefully November will get it's "boot on the throat" of this destroyer!

2. Nick on May 27th, 2010 2:14 pm

Yea, maybe we can get Bush back!!!!!

You are a moron. You are like a teabagging cliche. Violence and ignorance in one stupid comment.

3. OK_Loyalist on May 27th, 2010 8:36 pm

And have it be known that your 1st reply to me ever, May 27th, 2010 is nothing but name calling. Only reason I bring this up, in the future, you will whine & cry that you are being called names. Guess what? You started it, you leftist weenie winder, now skip off and smile like a doughnut!

4. Dandapani on May 28th, 2010 11:10 am

Yea, maybe we can get Clinton back!!!!!

You are a moron. You are like a looney left leaning liberal cliche. Violence and ignorance in one stupid comment.

5. Nick on May 28th, 2010 8:37 pm

There was no suggestion, even via metaphor, of violence in my comment. Nor did I demostrate any ignorance of fact.

And BTW, people would take Clinton back in a heartbeat. Did all that peace and prosperity tire you out?

6. Nick on May 28th, 2010 8:38 pm

That's all anybody ever does to me on this blog. Christ, read much?

7. OK_Loyalist on May 28th, 2010 9:17 pm

No need to give me messianic titles. I just joined here 1 week ago and have read most (current) of everything here. So I ask you, pull your head out of your alimentary canal exit hole much?

8. Connie on May 29th, 2010 9:44 am

what a group you got here, Doug. Totally keeps me laughing despite the tragedy of the country….