In the past couple of years, I never could figure out for what reason or reasons the left and many even on the right had for praising Barack Obama’s competence and intelligence. That’s not a slam on Obama, it’s just that there is simply no part of Obama’s past that anyone can point to — with the obvious exception of successful political campaigns (that’s all a lot of successful politicians are good at) — to demonstrate that he could successfully run a lemonade stand or organize groups of people to do anything except instigate, agitate, demonize and discredit.

“Intelligent”? How do we know? They won’t even release his college transcripts.

“Competent”? This is a man who can’t go to the bathroom with out a teleprompter.

This is why Peggy Noonan’s piece in the Wall Street Journal, “He was supposed to be competent,” is comical. Peggy, you see, was one of the early Kool Aid drinkers who is now waking up laughably late.

I like Peggy Noonan, but if she thought that Barack Obama was as exceedingly competent and superiorly intelligent as his lap-dog media painted him to be, she’s not nearly as bright as I once gave her credit for — and that’s not the president’s fault.

(Note: I know I said yesterday that I wasn’t going to post here this weekend, but, like Robert Gibbs talking about the Sestak mess, I lied)

Comments

6 Responses to “Wake-Up Call for Peggy Noonan”

1. swede on May 30th, 2010 1:27 am

Dead on Doug. I read Noonan's book "What I Saw At the Revolution" a while back – about her speech writing days for Reagan. Facinating perspective inside the WH in those days, and she did indeed write some of Reagan's most memorable moments. But I think something in the book forshadows her Obama problem. Before going to work for Reagan, she worked for Dan Rather, and she liked him and deeply respected him. She heaps very high praise on him. Rather to Reagan? Quite a jump, no?

If you read her '08 election pieces, it seemed she was gaga over Obama for much the same reasons she admired Reagan. Charisma, a vision that moves people, and the ability to sell it. She thought Obama would be a Reganesque leader, and that Barry had the charisma, swagger and intellect to pull it off..

Now she is deeply confused by his messianic incompetance. I think what she missed was that Reagan had substance, character, integrity and LEADERSHIP gifts that Obama in large measure lacks. The fact that it took her this long to grasp that doesn't speak well for her powers of human observation and analysis. IMHO

2. Doug on May 30th, 2010 12:03 pm

I read her "Revolution" book too… but you're right that Noonan, as a former speech writer, often analyzes politicians based purely on the words they read and not on whether or not the person saying them even believes what he or she is saying, let alone the people listening believe it.

Somebody can just say "hope and change" and Noonan, Buckley, Jr and others smile and jump on board? I still admire their writing talents but, like you said, that doesn't speak well for their ability to spot a BS-er.

3. snapples on May 31st, 2010 5:29 am

Peggy Noonan is a loon. Democrats have NO intention of deserting the President. He is not responsible for this drilling disaster. The incompetence here belongs to BP/TransOcean/Halliburton. The right wing attempt to deflect the blame for their insane "Drill, Baby,Drill" mantra will hang around their lying necks like a smelly, oil coated albatross. Wear it with style. You guys are nothing more than a low information base who listen to Glenn Beck & Sean Hannity 24/7.

4. OK_Loyalist on May 31st, 2010 4:12 am

I just love it when the leftist of the DailyKosak and The H-PO crowd run lockstep and then project, it's entertaining.

5. archer52 on May 31st, 2010 1:04 pm

When I saw the headline about being competent and her face, I thought the question was about her! Y'know that self awareness moment we all have when we go "Hey, maybe I'm the idiot here!"

She's a fool.

6. swede on May 31st, 2010 3:49 pm

If you want to be reasonable, sounds unlikely but let's give it a shot, blame for this goes all the way around the table. If you like, you can point a finger at just about anyone of any political flavor back to Kennedy.

That's hardly the point. Leaders are defined by crises. When a crisis occurs, a real leader gets all hands on deck – deals with the crisis, and worries about blame later. This is an unprecidented and complex crisis. No one expects Obama to know the solution, but I certainly expect him to find one. Bring in the best people available in the field (even – don't say it – Haliburton?), bring all resources to bear, get it done. Carivale definitely had a point here. Assessing blame is useless at this point. He just admitted a two week delay that he said "should not have happened."

Having said that – it is legitimate to wonder how he would handle an escalation of hostilities in N/S Korea, Iran/Israel, Pakistan/India, or HERE – real and imminent possibilities and things that could spin into major international crises.