So far the government’s case against Arizona is going about as well as their case for the drilling moratorium:

“Why can’t Arizona be as inhospitable as they wish to people who have entered or remained in the United States?” U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton asked in a pointed exchange with Deputy Solicitor General Edwin S. Kneedler. Her comment came during a rare federal court hearing in the Justice Department’s lawsuit against Arizona and Gov. Jan Brewer (R).

Bolton, a Democratic appointee, also questioned a core part of the Justice Department’s argument that she should declare the law unconstitutional: that it is “preempted” by federal law because immigration enforcement is an exclusive federal prerogative.

“How is there a preemption issue?” the judge asked. “I understand there may be other issues, but you’re arguing preemption. Where is the preemption if everybody who is arrested for some crime has their immigration status checked?”

Writes Ed Morrissey: “Based on the initial reactions of Bolton, the White House may get laughed out of court more quickly than first thought.”

Obama is his own worst enemy — he obviously believed all the “walk on water” press clippings he got from the Obamaniacle media and figured the courts would buy into it too. So far it doesn’t seem to be turning out that way.

In the meantime, Jan Brewer has a 19 point lead in the Arizona governor’s race.

Update: La Shawn Barber has a piece at Pajamas Media about a state’s right to enforce immigration law.

Comments

8 Responses to “Early Score: Arizona 1 – Obama Admin 0”

1. cdl on July 23rd, 2010 7:19 pm

If this judge was a demoncat appointee don't think for a second that it won't rule for der furher.

If it were a republican appointee it would have already ruled in favor of him.

You can't trust them s.o.b.'s either.

2. DLD on July 23rd, 2010 7:51 pm

She's a Clinton appointee, so I won't get my hopes up too much.

3. MarkJ on July 23rd, 2010 8:22 pm

"She's a Clinton appointee, so I won't get my hopes up too much."

I don't know about that. I suspect a lot of "Hillary Democrats" are now smirkily their Obama-voting family members, "We told you what would happen if you voted for Obama, but nooooooooo you wanted 'hope and change. How's all that working out for you?""

4. SECREV on July 23rd, 2010 8:24 pm

I hope she rules against AZ, and then AZ defies the judicial 'strike-down'. (Just like Obama has defied two-times being struck down of his drilling moratorium.) THEN it will all come to a head.

5. Rhonda on July 23rd, 2010 9:33 pm

I don't think Hillary is very happy with Obama, neither are those who voted for her in the Primaries. Check out on YouTube a documentary called "We Will Not Be Silenced". About four clips from it are available, nine minutes each.

6. Doug on July 23rd, 2010 10:30 pm

She's a Clinton appointee, so I won't get my hopes up too much.

There's a MAJOR disconnect right now between the Clintons and Obama, so I'm not going to assume that just because she's a Clinton appointee that she might be more inclined to side with Obama.

7. Ken in Texas on July 24th, 2010 2:53 am

I'm with you, Bud, and thought the very same thing. If AZ loses, do it anyway and let the Chosen One deal with Joe Arpaio one-on-one. That'd be a "beer-summit" for the ages!

8. John on July 24th, 2010 3:57 am

The "One" will find a way to bribe or scare her into submission. He will send his union thugs to visit her.or the Obama media will whine until she surrenders. Holder has probably already started judge hunting for a liberal to say yes sir yes sir

Chicago politics