President Obama’s Iraq speech last night (transcript here) was predictable. Obama didn’t “take credit” for it as much as I thought he might, and made it clear that he disagreed with the war from the beginning, so I’ll give him credit for a certain measure of honesty.

But it was this line that grabbed my attention for some reason:

Our troops are the steel in our ship of state.

Anything sound strange about that? Ship of state.

Others might have said “ship of liberty” or “ship of freedom,” but I think that line is a Freudian window into the socialist soul of a president and his speechwriters.

When you hear the term “the state,” the first thought that pops into your head isn’t “freedom,” is it?

Maybe it’s parsing, but that was one of my problems with that speech. Ask soldiers what they’re fighting to protect, and I doubt the answer will be “the state.” They’re sacrificing for the United States and all it stands for. America turning into “the state” is what all those Tea Parties are about.

Otherwise, a giant “well done” and an even bigger “thank you” to America’s military, and let’s not forget that there are still about 50,000 troops in Iraq in “non-combat” roles.

Comments

6 Responses to “The Most Telling Line From Obama’s Iraq Speech”

1. Rogue Jew on September 1st, 2010 10:19 am

I pray to Hashem daily that this putz Obama is simply a one term blunder like Jimmy Carter and will fade into the darkness in 2012

2. TheZooKeeper on September 1st, 2010 12:19 pm

A strange choice of words considering his actions: http://bit.ly/cxKYnU

3. Clu Seatoe on September 1st, 2010 12:23 pm

This may afford me an opportunity to ask a question that I have wondered about for many years.

Given that the Jews were chosen to be given the Law of life by HaShem, and given the claim of faith by so many of them, I’ve questioned why they so much prefer to live over on the other side of the valley in the camp of the political left. The liberal, god hating, hedonistic, muslim supporting, etc., etc., political left.

In the course of time so much more than just the Law has been given, but if all there was was the Law it seems that that would be enough to keep them right of even the center of the valley. And the moniker you have chosen indicates you have a sense of what I‘m saying.

Can you shed any light on the mystery of the Jewish vote going consistently to the left?

4. Doug on September 1st, 2010 1:14 pm

I don't understand it either, especially given the tendancy Dems like Obama have to coddle people who want Israel wiped from the map. It is baffling, isn't it?

5. OK_Loyalist on September 1st, 2010 2:40 pm

A Statist can't help but slip!

6. SignPainterGuy on September 1st, 2010 3:04 pm

A "statist", yes. And lacks many of the attributes of an eloquent speaker; dull as a bowling shoe. Everything he says sounds disengenuous. His constant referral to our "democracy" grates on me like fingernails on a chalkboard, screaming, lying and drug commercials with all their possible side effects !!! Aaaaaarrrrrgh !!!!!!