One man has an easier suggestion for proper CFL disposal than the usual 87-step process: Simply mail them to your congressman.

If your member of Congress complains that you mailed them something that the EPA says contains a hazardous substance, ask him or her why then it’s okay to practically order you to install them in your home.

Comments

10 Responses to “How to Properly Dispose of Compact Flourescent Lightbulbs”

1. Mike S. on September 8th, 2010 6:05 pm

Why? Well, that's because the life of the Congresscritter is more important than yours, that's why.

/sarc now off…sort of

2. SignPainterGuy on September 8th, 2010 6:14 pm

Where shadow reduction is desired or even required, flourescent tube lighting is a must. They`ve served us very well for many decades and oddly, without much ado about their hazards. But make a screw-tailed bulb and watch out !!! The assembly process has ALWAYS included a tiny drop of mercury and a coating (inside) of phosphorus. Come into contact with mercury, you MIGHT be harmed (you`ll find out years down the road). Come into contact with phosphorus on moist skin, you`ll think the gates of hell openned up on you !!! And NOW !!! And not just anything will neutralize it, some things make the burning worse ! Why ONLY the mercury warnings ??
    Like Rush, I`m hoarding incandescent bulbs….

3. OK_Loyalist on September 9th, 2010 12:00 am

Wonder why the EPA allows the likes of Jeffrey Immelt and GE to poison our planet with these damn things. Never mind, he bows to the O!

4. SignPainterGuy on September 9th, 2010 3:29 am

And I heard on Wednesday that the last GE plant that manufactures incandescent bulbs is closing, leaving 200ish workers unemployed. Thanks, oh ye Wizards of Smart !!!

Hurry up, 8: o`clock, I`ve got to buy more incandescent bulbs !!!

5. sizemorew on September 9th, 2010 1:33 pm

I buy the CFL bulbs willingly because of chronic migraines and, for some bizarre reason, the lighting from the CFL bulbs helps when I feel like my brain's trying to punch its way out of my skull. However, I don't agree with how these eco-nuts are trying to shove them down people's throats.

6. SignPainterGuy on September 9th, 2010 7:51 pm

It`s likely the softer light and less glare. Whatever works, go for it !! I don`t be likin` th migraines !!!

7. Mel on September 10th, 2010 6:52 pm

Only a matter of time before LED lights overtake the inductry – this stop gap light solution is only temporary…

8. SignPainterGuy on September 10th, 2010 9:16 pm

Yeah, LED`s are great in many apps. but create a problem in traffic lights. They produce very little heat, therefore don`t melt ice off the lenses and can`t be seen in daylight – sometimes. Love`m in my flashlight !!

9. OK_Loyalist on September 11th, 2010 2:31 am

Too directional for my tired eyes :(

10. SignPainterGuy on September 11th, 2010 5:58 pm

I imagine bejewelled-spheres for those previously bare-bulbed apps. at the low-low price of only $29.95 ea. when purchased in designer 3-paks.!!

Just imagine the Ronco ads !!!