It’s nine years to the day since 9/11. Colin Powell is saying that the Ground Zero mosque should go forward, using the old “if we _____ the terrorists win” cliche. If Powell had said that on 9/12/01, when the overwhelming popular sentiment would have been “if we let them build it, the terrorists have won,” he might have been run out of the military. How times change.

But that’s all debatable — what’s not debatable is that if we need proof that the terrorists have won, all we need to do is go to Ground Zero and look at a hole in the ground that has, for the most part, remained a hole in the ground for nine years.

Within days of 9/11, there was already a proposed design for re-building the Trade Centers. Remember this?

That’s an American response — or at least what it would have been in decades gone by. If something remotely along these lines had been constructed, I don’t think that somebody wanting to put a tiny little mosque nearby would be nearly as big a deal as it is. Sometimes I think that the reason we’re so offended by somebody who wants to build a mosque (I’m sorry, “Islamic rec center”) near ground zero has less to do with a mosque and more to do with our own unwillingness to answer back in the best way possible, which would be to put those buildings back up — bigger and better than ever. “Mosque? What mosque? Oh, that little thing way down there?”

A few remembrances worth giving a read:

Michelle Malkin: Set your alarms and steel your resolve and Spitting on their graves

Matthew Avitabile: We should be ashamed

Heritage: Remembering 9/11

Cassy Fiano: 5 heroes to remember

CNN’s coverage of the morning of 9/11/01 is here. A full network TV archive of that day is here.

Via Cubachi, President Bush’s “bullhorn speech” at Ground Zero:

By way of Jumping in Pools, President Bush’s address to Congress just days after 9/11.

On 9/11, Congress broke into a spontaneous version of “God Bless America”:

Wow, where did those people go? Try that now and they’d get sued by the ACLU.

In the years following 9/11, unity and common purpose have given way to politics and a dangerously naive level of political correctness. Fortunately, however, most Americans do remember — and our troops are still making tremendous sacrifices on our behalf.

Everybody knows what happened on 9/11, but only those who are willing to admit why will play a positive role in ensuring that it never happens again.

Comments

8 Responses to “9.11”

1. Clu Seatoe on September 11th, 2010 1:05 pm

Not only “if we…will the terrorists win” but, and it only took nine year for the one-eighty to happen, we now have a Democrat political party who, out of fear, panic, greed for the Middle East oil money, and the afore mentioned naiveté, in their own nation, have become enablers and supporters of the islamophites.

These are impeachable offenses at any level of local, state, or national government. However, in addition to those offenses they have also packed the judiciary with sympathetic judges thereby insuring no convictions.

At what point does the first paragraph of the Declaration of Independence apply?

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

2. Rick on September 11th, 2010 2:07 pm

Proudly display the American Flag today.

It is a reminder to them that there is NO crescent on the Stars and Stripes.

3. OK_Loyalist on September 11th, 2010 3:25 pm

God Bless this great nation on a day that brought tears to my eyes and a heaviness to my heart.

Old Glory has been flying here 365/24/7 (sheltered) since 9/11/01 and I have no intention of taking it down EVER (except for replacement) as I for one, WILL NEVER FORGET !

4. SignPainterGuy on September 11th, 2010 5:30 pm

Nope, no crescent, no hammer & sickle, no skull & cross-bones. There are only white stars on a field of dark blue, red and white stripes and all in colors that DO NOT RUN !!!

5. SignPainterGuy on September 11th, 2010 7:10 pm

It had been an exhausting 3-day race weekend , having balanced 100+ m/c wheels/day and the 760 mile ride/drive ea. way. My plan was to enjoy the start of my day off w/ 2 mugs of coffee, the newspaper and channel surfing the tv. The 1st surprise was being served a summons to court. "What does the ex. want now??"

As I returned to my b/r, with paper, coffees and summons in hand , images of courtroom proceedings danced in my head. I`d barely placed the tray on the nightstand when I saw the north tower burning and the talking heads wondering if it was just a terrible accident, or something much more ominous !!! Doubts were removed only moments later as a 737 banked from screen right, disappeared, and then a huge ball of flame erupted from the left of the south tower. It was a long moment that I sat there , slack-jawed in amazement and building anger.

It was wonderful to see our nation come together against a common enemy- for about a month. 9 yrs. later, I`m still angry, but not just at terrorists !!!

No, I couldn`t forget if I wanted to !!

BTW, at the end of the court proceedings – I learned I`d been a grandfather for 9 months…..

6. Nanny on September 11th, 2010 10:52 pm

I was residing in a small community in NE Michigan on Lake Huron. I watched live on TV as the second plane hit the south tower. I went to work and returned home at about 11 am as it was too upsetting to remain at work. Our subdivision had a major thorough fare at the end of the street and I will never forget how quiet it was after noon that lasted the rest of the day. I remember where I was when Kennedy was shot and I was only 7 and I will never forget September 11th. Just like my parents and Pearl Harbor – it is burned into my mind.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families, our brave military and President Bush. Zero, Bite Me and company can go to hell as they are giving aid and comfort to those who killed, maimed and caused so much damage to our country back then and they are continuing the assault through their policies of dismantling this country one day at a time.

Get involved, vote and save this great nation. God Bless America!!!

7. Julie on September 12th, 2010 1:27 am

I was in Midtown Manhattan the morning of 9/11. I was buying my coffee when the first plane hit. We assumed there had been a terrible accident. When I got to my office, the second plane hit and we knew our city was under attack. Managing a hotel, I scrambled to help get rooms ready for our clients like Morgan Stanley – which had just lost their office space in WTC (along with a few of their employees, including a friend with whom I just had lunch). In panic mode all day, I stole a few glances at live TV coverage of the warzone less than 5 miles south of our hotel. I didn't know until later that I lost childhood friends from Larchmont NY. My good friend lost her fiance and her life begun to unravel after that. So many children were left without fathers and mothers. HOW COULD OUR CITY GOVERNMENT NOT THOROUGHLY RESEARCH THE FUNDING OF THIS "MOSQUE?" There was a more thorough investigation conducted on the funding of the NYC bus advertising by the families opposing the Islamic cultural center. How could our American government be so naive?? We need to do our homework – we are so worried about the terrorists' civil rights, all the while they are busy planning the next attack. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

8. @angelatc on September 12th, 2010 1:06 pm

Agree 100% about rebuilding the towers, There's not an Arc de Défaite in Paris.

But if we won the war against Al Qaeda, instead of expanding it to a war with Islam, we might win the more important war against a big federal government, and Washington certainly doesn't want that.