When it was clear last night that “Tea Party” Republican Christine O’Donnell would going to defeat entrenched RINO Mike Castle in Delaware, the National Republican Senatorial Committee quickly congratulated her, but made it clear they wouldn’t be supporting her in the general election.

But it turns out the NRSC picked up a few tricks from John Kerry, because they were against O’Donnell before they were for her:

“Let there be no mistake: The National Republican Senatorial Committee – and I personally as the committee’s chairman – strongly stand by all of our Republican nominees, including Christine O’Donnell in Delaware.

“I reached out to Christine this morning, and as I have conveyed to all of our nominees, I offered her my personal congratulations and let her know that she has our support. This support includes a check for $42,000 – the maximum allowable donation that we have provided to all of our nominees – which the NRSC will send to her campaign today.

It’s simple math, really. The backlash directed at the NRSC from peeved conservatives clearly would have cost the NRSC well in excess of $42,000 in donations alone, so they bit their tongues and sent O’Donnell a check.

This shouldn’t have happened in the first place, but this little incident is a clear sign that the Republican leadership at many levels doesn’t understand its base and doesn’t understand that 2010 is turning out to be about cleaning up the mess, whether the mess was made by a donkey or an elephant. Karl Rove and Charles Krauthammer don’t understand that — Sarah Palin does.

(h/t Gateway Pundit)

Comments

6 Responses to “NRSC Performs Some Basic Arithmetic, Decides to Support Christine O’Donnell”

1. SignPainterGuy on September 15th, 2010 3:18 pm

Way to go Mr Steele !!! Great recovery and damage control !!! Sparklers all around !!! Ffzzzzsst ……..As I keep writing on the NRSC / RNC pleas for donations poorly disguised as surveys ; I`m fed up with the rep. leadership`s elitism and they are "not nearly conservative enough" and I`m not sending them one red cent !!!
    Karl`s Rove(ing) last night just proved the point !

Go Christine !!!

2. nannykins on September 15th, 2010 4:33 pm

Another black eye for the GOP. They need to get over themselves. The Tea Party was formed to let these ass wipes know that we are not bending over any more! Their feet will be held to the fire. And that fire just got hotter after their stupid blunder last night with O'Donnell. I will only contribute direct to the candidate. Sending money to the GOP and their minions to insult the very voters they claim to represent is a joke. They can ALL go to hell! We the people are taking our country back from the thieves in Washington!!!

3. nannykins on September 15th, 2010 6:32 pm

And now watch the media hit job start – just like Palin -they are going to try to evisirate her.

4. SignPainterGuy on September 15th, 2010 7:01 pm

Let`s keep in mind that old fighter- / bomber-pilot`s expression, "You know you`re over your target when the flack is the heaviest !" And let`s continue to lend our support only where it`s deserved !

5. OK_Loyalist on September 15th, 2010 9:03 pm

If the NRSC wouldn't of backed her, I was going to send them my voter registration card. Everyone needs to write/call Mike Castle and let him know what a sore losing egotistical a-hole he is!

6. SignPainterGuy on September 16th, 2010 9:10 pm

One of my fav. Reaganisms is, "It`s not that liberals are dumb, it`s that they know so much that isn`t so ! " We so desperately need someone like him now who can explain our positions well without being insulting …. I remember him describing "liberalism`s lunacy and failures" and no one was pissed off ! Today, just accurately describe a liberal – you`ve got a fight on your hands !!

My local n/p ran the Obama speach about his "plea for tolerance". I stated , "pleas for tolerance would be much better received if non-muslims weren`t always the only ones expected to do all the tolerating" .. I could not believe how many people took that as a personal insult AND an example of christian hatred !! It`s truly "The Land of Fruits, Nuts and Jerks" !!