Blowing off a photo op with Barack Obama falls into the sacrilege category, doesn’t it? It used to at least, but the times, they are a-changin’ according to an interview with Obama in this month’s Rolling Stone:

Dylan, 69, was “sceptical” about performing his protest song “The Times They Are A-Changin” to the assembled dignitaries at February’s event. And while most musicians who perform for the most powerful man in the world ask for a “meet and greet” during their visit, Mr Obama told Rolling Stone magazine that Dylan refused to even speak with him. “He wouldn’t come to the rehearsal; usually, all these guys are practising before the set in the evening. He didn’t want to take a picture with me; usually all the talent is dying to take a picture with me and Michelle before the show, but he didn’t show up to that.”

After performing, it was the same story. “He finishes the song, steps off the stage – I’m sitting right in the front row – comes up, shakes my hand, sort of tips his head, gives me just a little grin and then leaves. And that was it. He left. That was our only interaction with him.”

Mr Obama nonetheless described the experience as “a real treat,” adding: “That’s how you want Bob Dylan, right? You don’t want him to be all cheesin’ and grinnin’ with you. You want him to be a little sceptical about the whole enterprise.”

How come when Bob Dylan’s skeptical about the whole enterprise he’s cool, but when the Tea Party is skeptical about the whole enterprise they’re misguided, wrong, hateful and racist peckerwoods who want kids and old people to die without health care?

“Usually the talent is dying to take a picture with me.” Obama makes Bill Clinton look like a beacon of humility.

Comments

10 Responses to “The Times They Are A-Changin’”

1. Marshall_Will on October 1st, 2010 6:48 pm

Hate to say it but… I saw the same level of snubbing when Bill & Hillary basically crashed The Rolling Stones little party on Martin Scorscese's "Shine A Light" '06 performance.

Say what may but -nobody- works harder than musicians. And nobody's been doing it longer than The Stones. So now ( likely at Martin's invite ) they're being told to schmooze w/ these "bloody clowns" ( judging by their facial expressions and demeanor ) I won't venture as to what Mr. Dylan's motivations were, res ipsa loquitor? Perhaps Bob feels there can be only 'one' visionary that speaks for everyone?

2. SignPainterGuy on October 1st, 2010 7:32 pm

My chosen profession sometimes acquires a croud of on-lookers and I really do appreciate their appreciation of the skills required and the tallents expressed… It`s tha smart-ass who perhaps just jokingly states, "I / anybody can do that !!" That`s when I silently offer brush and paint !! So far, no takers !!

Give your fans their due….

3. Marshall_Will on October 1st, 2010 8:14 pm

"So far, no takers !!"

Well exactly. Where the -contempt- enters into it is, unlike politicians, musicians can't "buy gigs"! Nor can Doug, yourself or any of the rest of us. It simply won't make economic sense.

I was never a Dylan fan previously ( but now I'm willing to reconsider? ) It's not reasonable to expect Bob, Mick or Keith to view a politician of identical longevity as equals? You can have 1 may…be two bombs and, you're gone! If only we could do the same w/ politicians?

4. Nanny on October 1st, 2010 8:24 pm

Ummm how about this: Usually the "dying talent" is waiting to take a picture with me.

Let's face it – some of these so called talents are completely washed up, old hippies waiting for the Obamacare death panels to finish them off. For some of them – it can't come quick enough for me. I won't name names.

5. Marshall_Will on October 1st, 2010 8:41 pm

Nanny,

Well, if you're talking about Gary Glitter, then yes! But in many ways, touring bands are the ultimate expression of capitalism and… RISK! Keith Richards said of their most recent tour that given the hundreds of millions they pump 'in' to it, on a 200-day tour ( they don't break-even until the 140th day! )

Any idea how many things can go -wrong- in a 4 mo. period? Even young performers can fall ill, strikes, "man-caused disasters" you name it. These guys put it all on the line every time they go out on the road. Don't forget, the reason The Stones hung out in France during 1971 was because they were tax exiles ( 94% bracket ) from the U.K. Hence the album is titled "Exile On Main Street". They're self-insured so not to worry.

6. OK_Loyalist on October 2nd, 2010 12:28 am

I find this interesting. I wish more entertainers were like Dylan of today. Stick to what you do best, entertainment and stay as apolitical as possible in public life.

As a side note, Bob Dylan is an incredible talent IMHO.

7. Doug on October 2nd, 2010 10:18 am

To some degree for an entertainer, staying apolitical is just good business. I know some of them are dying to believe that they can save the world and the baby seals and all that, but as much as I can appreciate an entertainer not afraid to express his or her conservatism on those rare occasions, I think I like the ones who just "shut up and sing" most of all.

I remember when Bush was gov of Texas he named Dylan an honorary Texan, and Dylan thanked Bush and said he loved Texas and refused to say anything nasty about the Bush family when he was interviewed by Rolling Stone. This actually angered the left — so sometimes "saying nothing" IS a political statement… to certain loons.

8. Doug on October 2nd, 2010 10:21 am

Hey, I think somebody who can sing the same songs every night for 35 years without going crazy deserves SOME credit! Haha!

As for Bob Dylan, I'm not any particular fan, but the guy has written some undeniably classic songs. His voice never really caught on with me though… I used to say "my favorite song is any Bob Dylan song that is being sung by somebody else."

9. Clu Seatoe on October 2nd, 2010 4:54 pm

I can see Obamao sitting in the front row throne holding out his limp-wristed hand and thinking, “Come, come now Mr. Dylan, we have our hand here for you to shake. Come ahead, take our hand and shake it. You have our permission, you know you want too.”

10. Clu Seatoe on October 2nd, 2010 5:02 pm

Just don’t be wearing a tee shirt with your Medal of Honor wining dad’s picture on it.