Harry Reid’s “pet” Chris Coons was asked in a debate about once writing that his college friends referred to him as a “bearded Marxist.”

Coons claims it was a joke (hilarious!).

Christine O’Donnell found it ironic (transcript via HAP):

O’Donnell: “If you’re saying what I said on a comedy show is relevant to this election, then absolutely you writing an article saying you learned your beliefs from articulate intelligent Marxist professor and that what’s made you become a Democrat, that should send chills up the spine of every Delaware voter.

Read the article in question written by Coons (PDF). He describes his “Republicanism” that was washed away by a trip to Africa where he studied under an “eloquent Marxist professor at the University of Nairobi.” Does any of that remotely resemble tongue-in-cheek humor?

One of the parts of that article in question is this:

My friends now joke that something about Kenya, maybe the strange diet, or the tropical sun, changed my personality; Africa to them seems a catalytic converter that takes in clean-shaven, clear-thinking Americans and sends back bearded Marxists.

The Soros-bots at Media Matters immediately jumped in saying “Coons never said he was a Marxist!” Well, not really, but he didn’t have to.

In any case, here’s the Coons/O’Donnell exchange:

More on this debate, how the moderators were in the tank for the Dems and how Coons had trouble containing his disdain for O’Donnell here.

On Fox News, Michelle Malkin had the line of the day about the makeup of the debate participants and the moderators (paraphrasing): “It was 3 on 1 and difficult to tell which ones were running for office.”

Comments

10 Responses to “Christine O’Donnell on Chris Coons Bearded Marxist ‘Joke’”

1. TheZooKeeper on October 14th, 2010 11:40 am

Good grief, why is it so difficult for someone to simply and forcefully say, "NO, I do not believe that this utterly complex thing we call 'life" happened by just random happenstance. And for goodness sakes, memorize some Supreme Court rulings. If for nothing else, for debate purposes.

2. Marshall_Will on October 14th, 2010 11:45 am

Caught a bit of Michelle on Fox while I was getting ready for work and she described the 'debate' as " 3 on 1 " and "You couldn't tell who was running for office?" ( which I found totally hilarious ) but not altogether surprising.

At least there actually 'was' a debate! The Chicken Dance spot was hysterical, I'd debate it w/ you guys but instead I'll have my staffer send over a DVD.

3. @Ted__B on October 14th, 2010 11:53 am

Coons will win.

4. Doug on October 14th, 2010 12:09 pm

Maybe, but if it's a "sure thing" then why is Obama going to Delaware to campaign for the bearded Marxist?

5. Jeremie Jordan on October 14th, 2010 12:27 pm

Doug, you have to admit this was her chance to score some well needed points and I think on most accounts she failed. And I agree with the earlier comment, memorize a few Supreme Court decisions and have solid opinion on one that you can defend.

If nothing else, maybe she will distract the Dems attention away from other, closer races.

6. Marshall_Will on October 14th, 2010 12:28 pm

Hmm… interesting. Why indeed. I should have thought sending a Collector's Edition Presidential DVD would've been sufficient? Notice too the Dems are pulling the plug on funding a number of lost cause candidates and simply throwing in the towel.

As an Oregonian I DO wish we could get some nat'l attention for our Republican candidate for governor? Chris Dudley is the first Rep. to lead in the polls for that position since I moved here from Chicago in 1977! ( Little 'bump' here? )

7. Doug on October 14th, 2010 1:10 pm

I hardly ever see a debate participant do nearly as well as I'd like… and this is one of them… but in what was pretty much a 3 on 1 situation, the fact that she was still standing at the end of the thing makes me willing to throw a few points her way.

8. Marshall_Will on October 14th, 2010 1:44 pm

Well… other than the debate in "Old School" where we def. got our money's worth! But you're right, the same thing happens on BLOGS! Dems only attack in packs or when they have overwhelming force.

Seldom will they take you on one-on-one. Hell, I've even had them use multiple screen names and then support 'each other's' points! And at that point, they're not even making all that much an effort to disguise that fact to 'you', their only objective by then is how it will 'appear' to others who stumble on the exchange.

9. Christine O'Donnell on Chris Coons 'Bearded Marxist' Article : The … | The Daily Conservative on October 14th, 2010 2:48 pm

[...] from: Christine O'Donnell on Chris Coons 'Bearded Marxist' Article : The … Share and [...]

10. Soul on October 14th, 2010 3:22 pm

I didn't watch the CNN debate, but others i know did. Most of the guys I hang around with at our hobby shop kept commenting how one sided, and biased the press was against O'Donnell. We sometimes talk politics at the shop, and I'm the one bringing up press bias, but this time it was them that did and were upset by it. I'm figuring the one sidedness of the debate questions must have been bad and obvious.