Once the effectiveness of lies and misrepresentations wears off — after all the straw has been plucked from the straw man and a story has worn out its effectiveness due to a drastic lack of evidence for the charge — you can always count on the media to get bored and flirt with the truth before moving on to something else.

There’s a piece on the Washington Post’s website today entitled “Few signs at tea party rally expressed racially charged anti-Obama themes.”

Obama’s calling the WaPo as we speak to ask why they didn’t hold this story until after next month’s election:

A new analysis of political signs displayed at a tea party rally in Washington last month reveals that the vast majority of activists expressed narrow concerns about the government’s economic and spending policies and steered clear of the racially charged anti-Obama messages that have helped define some media coverage of such events.

“Really this is an issue of salience,” Ekins said. “Just because a couple of percentage points of signs have those messages doesn’t mean the other people don’t share those views, but it doesn’t mean they do, either. But when 25 percent of the coverage is devoted to those signs, it suggests that this is the issue that 25 percent of people think is so important that they’re going to put it on a sign, when it’s actually only a couple of people.”

Ekins spent the summer researching the tea party movement and also as an intern at the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank in Washington. The survey was for her UCLA graduate studies.

Do you know what this means?

“That this alleged ‘researcher’ named Emily Elkins is in fact a Tea Party co-conspirator and a swastika-carrying racist?”

No, but nice try Ms. Pelosi… it means that the Washington Post just stripped the ball from their columnist Eugene Robinson, who very often runs with the “racist tea party” generalizations based on hearsay — not that this will stop him anyway.

Comments

6 Responses to “WaPo: Hey, Maybe Most Tea Party Signs Weren’t Racist After All”

1. Marshall_Will on October 14th, 2010 4:03 pm

"you can always count on the media…"

?

( Read… READ ) "to get bored and flirt with the truth before moving on to something else". Schwew! ( Almost gave me a heart attack! ) As a Tea Party member ( w/ an Asian wife btw ) I'm not racist but I'm willing to learn!

( Just trying to be helpful? )

2. SignPainterGuy on October 14th, 2010 7:35 pm

This sign expressed the truth as clearly as could be and served as a "cold-wet dishrag of reality" slap to the faces of all the msm ! How many libs saw it ?

When the WaPo turns this singular flirtation with the truth into SOP, they`ll earn some credibility from me……until then, this amounts to casting a spoonfull of sugar over a shipload of salt…. it is a good, though small sign !

NRO e-mail alerts give a synopsis of Eugene Robinson`s new columns; that`s ALL the attention I`ll pay him ! He`s featured in my local (liberal) fishwrap….After reading his headline I move on to "Mallard Filmore" which is FAR more accurate and informative and usually good for a snicker !!

3. Marshall_Will on October 14th, 2010 7:51 pm

SPG,

Now imagine what this would have been like had it not been for good folks like Doug, Michelle and others putting the word out there that the usual lib-blog suspects were planning to saturate Tea Party events w/ racist/unflattering signs of their 'own' making!?

We'd be so busy back-peddling and fumbling for an explanation no one would -ever- gain any traction. Which of course was the design all along.

4. SignPainterGuy on October 14th, 2010 8:13 pm

I am greatful beyond words for the good and faithful work of Doug, Michelle Malkin (I wish I had posting privileges there) , Glenn and Rush , just to mention my personal favs., and other conservative sites ! We would be so much poorer of truth and knowledge without them ! It`s beyond cringing to think of life with only the msm for news ! Baghdad Bob and Tingles ……..(shakes head and shivers)…

I thank God nightly in my prayers for these warriors and their families !! Their senses of humor are icing on the cakes !! Thanks to you all !!

5. Marshall_Will on October 14th, 2010 8:49 pm

"(shakes head and shivers)" LOL

You know, I just sent my Tea Party RSVP for the big Election Night Party we're going to be having up in Portland, OR and fwd'd it to my wife. I added the comment that the difference in just two years is incredible!

Two years ago was one of the lowest nights of my life ( and trust me I've had a few ) I think the only reason I went down to the office the following day is… I just didn't know what else to do? Well not THIS year! I'm gonna' par-tay!

6. SignPainterGuy on October 14th, 2010 9:44 pm

"Two years ago…….." Me too !! Same as when Billy Jeff won, I felt like I`d been kicked in the groin (cleaned that one up a bit) !! I`ve had more than my share of Louis Grizzard`s, "They tore out my heart and stomped that sucker flat" moments!!! Got the calluses goin` now !!

I usually don`t stay up late watching election returns, but this year may be too exciting to wait till the next morning……..PAR-TAY OUT, M_W !! ALL OVER THE HOUSE !! Is that allowed in Oregonia ?