This video is probably reaching viral status as I write this, so pardon me if you’ve already seen it, but I’ll feel derelict in my blogging duties if I don’t post Jimmy McMillan of New York’s “Rent is Too Damn High” party at yesterday’s New York gubernatorial debate.

I’m a fan of quirky candidates no matter what their party affiliation — and Jimmy McMillan certainly has earned a spot on that mantle alongside Basil Marceaux, Alvin Greene and Chief Wana Dubie — so without further adieu, here you go:

Every election year these kind of guys seem a little less crazy, don’t they?

Gawker has some of his finest moments:

On the deficit: “It’s like a cancer. It will heal itself.”

On negative campaigning: “As a karate expert, I will not talk about anyone up here.”

On gay marriage: “The Rent Is 2 Damn High Party feels if you want to marry a shoe, I’ll marry you.”

On… Jesus, I have no clue what prompted this one: “We plan to bulldoze some of those mountains in Upstate to make New York an independent state. I want my own cable company; I want my own telephone company.”

On the rent: Too damn high.

Jimmy’s website, which, judging from the loading speed is hosted by Geocities circa 1995, is here.

Comments

7 Responses to “Jimmy McMillan Steals NY Gubernatorial Debate”

1. Marshall_Will on October 19th, 2010 2:02 pm

This is unfortunately what happens when males attempt to 'channel' other males they admire rather than simply being themselves. In this case; Samuel L. Jackson. ( Snakes On A MF'n PLANE! )

From '06 to '08 we were treated to "The Rock" ( Dwayne Johnson ) on a daily basis by The One! Right down to emoting of the eyebrows. Particularly his speech patterns, timing and delivery.

Truly surprised no one has made ( what seemed to 'me' ) was an obvious connection. Didn't anyone else find it alarming a man about to take the reigns of the free world had a personality so under-developed he's still mimicking an idol more normally reserved for teen boys? Rock! O' Rock.., where are you 'now'…!?

2. SignPainterGuy on October 19th, 2010 2:54 pm

While I feel this guy`s pain and certainly simpathize with his constituancy who find their wallets "too damn thin after paying the rent", it still isn`t clear how he plans to provide those "roofs and meals" other than through "politics as usual"; taxpayer funding !? Isn`t the main cause of NYC`s high rents its extremely high, higher and highest taxes accompanied by extremely restrictive regulations piled on top of more regulations (and those "off the books" fees) ?!

New box – same oatmeal !

3. Joyanna Adams on October 19th, 2010 4:21 pm

I've always wanted to marry my shoes.

4. TheZooKeeper on October 19th, 2010 4:30 pm

It's just a matter of time before this guy gets songified: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44mqiBrB0zI&li

5. Marshall_Will on October 19th, 2010 5:03 pm

LOL, right and if it had been a board-breaking competition ( instead of a DEBATE ) I've no doubt he'd have won! Just seeing the moderators and candidates trying to keep a straight face was worth it.

"Karate man bleeds on the inside" dontcha' know? Ever since Ronnie said; "Make my day" every pol and their long lost brother thinks they channel whomever, whenever. If you're going to be a total fake ( why not: "The World's Most Interesting Man"? ) That's what 'I' do.

6. Nanny on October 19th, 2010 8:31 pm

Is that Alvin (It's all Jim Demints fault) Green's "crazy uncle"? And the libs call our candidates nuts? Sheeesh!!!!

7. OK_Loyalist on October 19th, 2010 8:38 pm

This thing was viral by early morning. The Kristin Davis comment about politicians being whores and her being best qualified was priceless.