But not just any opinion — an unflattering opinion about the protected Religion of Peace and Toleranceâ„¢. But it wasn’t even an opinion really — more like a shared emotion — and what liberal doesn’t like sharing emotions? Dhimmi liberals, that’s who.

NPR fired Juan Williams for saying this on Bill O’Reilly’s show:

“I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.”

Dan Riehl says Williams wasn’t fired because of these comments specifically, but because he’s black. Why so racist, NPR? Dan makes a good point though about what happens when you even remotely stray from the progressive plantation.

Okay, just for kicks, since NPR claims that what Williams said is grossly unfair, let’s replace “Muslims” with something else and see if it’s equally unfair or just plain ridiculous:

“I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Jewish garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Jews, I get worried. I get nervous.”

Or how about this:

“I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Catholic garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Catholics, I get worried. I get nervous.”

The latter two wouldn’t have gotten Williams fired, but they also have nothing to do with reality, meaning Juan would have continued to be a perfect fit for NPR.

There’s no downside for NPR in this over-reaction to a fit of honesty from one of their former brood. That’s the beauty of living in a publicly funded fantasy-land.

Update: Nannykins in comments mentioned a Brent Bozell article featuring things said on NPR in the past. Give it a read here. Suffice to say, denigrating Christians is perfectly acceptable there.

And don’t forget, NPR also got a kick out of “Teabag” videos.

Update II: Having read the above update makes this even funnier — NPR’s CEO: “We expect our analysts to behave like journalists.”

********
Watch the first minute or so of this scene from Soul Plane and you’ll see why the people who made the movie certainly won’t be considered to take Juan’s place at NPR:

Comments

20 Responses to “Naturally: NPR Fires Opinion Journalist for Offering Opinion”

1. Marshall_Will on October 21st, 2010 1:37 pm

"even remotely stray from the progressive plantation"

Doug, that's 'really' what this is all about. Stay in line w/ the group-think or we'll CAN your @$$! Juan should actually be flattered.

I'll have to admit, I didn't much care for JW initially. In fact, I couldn't -stand- him! But over the years I grew to have a healthy respect for the man and if the Left actually 'listened' to him once in awhile, they wouldn't be painted into the corner they now find themselves? ( Basically running 'as' Republicans just to stay elected! )

More power to ya' Juan! ( Who here wouldn't love… to get a Malkin Award? ) Hell, I'm jealous…

2. SignPainterGuy on October 21st, 2010 1:54 pm

NPR – "Quality Listener Supported Programming"….Dispite taxpayer funding and annual fundraising drives (dog years ? – 4 or 5 for my local stations) and some not well publisized commercial sponsorship, NPR stations still have a tough time staying on the air ! The same for PBS tv stations ! Their lefty agenda permiates all they do ! I`d rather watch paint dry – at least dry paint pays for itself !

Back in the `70`s, I liked watching NOVA and a few other docu-shows, until I began noticing the copyright dates in roman numerals and realized the shows touted as "leading edge tech" were at least 20 years old……..

I hate this for Juan, one of the few really nice guys on the left ! He still has a place on FOX where his opinion serves as balance…Maybe he`ll learn !?

3. Rick on October 21st, 2010 2:35 pm

NPR…

NoPrayerRadio

NotParticularlyRelevant

NutzPromotingRadicalism

NeoProgressiveRacists

4. nannykins on October 21st, 2010 2:43 pm

NPR must be getting an earful – their servers are down!!! Keep it up – let them know how biased and raaaaaaacist they are!!!!

5. Marshall_Will on October 21st, 2010 3:01 pm

nannykins,

Right, keep them in meltdown mode! And a kind email of encouragement to Juan wouldn't hurt either. This totally discounts years and years of track record the man has built and now they're throwing him under the bus insofar as 'I' can tell, purely out of their own frustration?

( Remind me never to be honest about how I'm feeling ever AGAIN ! )

6. OK_Loyalist on October 21st, 2010 3:01 pm

I too have learned to find Juan tolerable. Hope he learned what a crock Politically Correctness is.

7. nannykins on October 21st, 2010 3:10 pm

Go over to Newbusters and read Brett Bozell's column on some of the most disgusting things said by NPR "journalists" and talking heads – then let NPR have an earful and let them know the taxpayer gravy train is coming to an end!!!

8. Ken in Texas on October 21st, 2010 3:22 pm

It's been said that , "A Conservative is a Liberal who's been mugged". Welcome to the Tea Party, Juan!

9. Doug on October 21st, 2010 3:24 pm

Funny how Rush Limbaugh was just reading from a Homeland Security website with pointers on noticing possible terrorist acts before they happen: "Be aware of your surroundings" — unless you're surrounded by Muslims and work for NPR.

10. TheZooKeeper on October 21st, 2010 3:48 pm

Wait a minute, a good lib like Juan axed from NPR?? – When Muslims fly.

11. joetote on October 21st, 2010 7:40 pm

This is the second time I’ve seen the liberal yo-yos take off on Juan Williams when he has “overstepped” his bounds and spoken a truth that was against the “party line”.

I have said more than once in the past that a government run co-opted media is but one step towards the Soviet style dictatorship that we witnessed with the old USSR. This is beyond Big Brother. This is not only the squashing of Free Speech, but is in fact taking away one of our most sacred rights. And he wasn’t even on an NPR show!

This Political Correctness, which is nothing more than a Gestapo style propaganda issue has to stop!
    I for one do not agree with some of Mr. Williams stands. however, he has never been afraid to call it as he sees it and in this case he was correct! Whether I agree with him or not, I find him to be candid and honest in his views. To be fired for relating the truth is beyond everything we hold sacred in this country.

Kudos to Mr. Williams for daring to stand up to the kind of censorship that is so warmly welcome by leftist Soviet and NAZI style governments!

12. SignPainterGuy on October 21st, 2010 7:44 pm

Muslims DO fly , they just find little use for safe/smooth landings !!

13. SignPainterGuy on October 21st, 2010 7:52 pm

NeoProgressiveRacists – Neo means "new" or "new to" or "newly returned to" – NPR`s progressive agenda and racism are nothing "new" !! Yeah, just being picky !! The term NeoConservative used by the left as a derogatory term over the last several years has really bugged me !!

14. SignPainterGuy on October 21st, 2010 7:57 pm

According to Rush, Juan has already spun around and (trying to get his job back ?) again called the Tea Party "raaaaaacciist!!"

15. Marshall_Will on October 21st, 2010 8:09 pm

Could be. I just read on http://www.hotair.com that Juan got a really, really nice check from Fox? Hey, he's having his moment in the sun, who am I to pee on his parade?

16. SignPainterGuy on October 21st, 2010 8:14 pm

Juan was repeatedly admonished for not adhering to the standards required of "news analysts" which are different from the standards for journalists/reporters….seems to me ALL on NPR/PBS/MSM are required to give the news "the proper lib/progressive spin" !! STICK TO THE SCRIPT !!

17. SignPainterGuy on October 21st, 2010 9:57 pm

Now I`m wondering how much George "Spooky Dude" Soros` Open Society Foundations` recent donation of $1.8Mil to NPR to hire new journalists had to do with the firing of Juan Williams and is Mara Liasson next in the gunsight !?!?

18. OK_Loyalist on October 21st, 2010 9:58 pm

It was a no brainer that Roger Ailes would pick him up, can't wait to hear the leftist spin about Fox not being "Fair & Balanced".

19. SignPainterGuy on October 21st, 2010 10:21 pm

(So this may prove …. ) Prophetic indeed !! Good call !

*(….) , There are many ditzs of the male persuation, sadly, yours truly on occasion !! (the ol` "I`ll never do that" moments) and the "Hey, watch`is !! No wait, that`s the redneck confirmation ….nevermind !!

20. SignPainterGuy on October 21st, 2010 10:33 pm

Oh, the BS will be "hip-wader deep" ! It should go well with tomorrow morning`s coffee !! Maybe I`ll get a snicker before I get to the comics section !!