Last week I wrote about a ridiculous article in New York Magazine citing a Harvard Business Review study which concluded that Michelle Obama has generated $2.7 billion in value for clothing companies. This is due to what is claimed is the public clamoring for anything worn by the First Lady.

In that post, I cited evidence to the contrary — two designers who have done exactly what you might expect in an Obama economy and gone out of business.

Here’s another story that makes the Harvard Business Review’s “Michelle Obama is a one-woman fashion stimulus!” story even more laughable:

Even a boost from Michelle Obama hasn’t helped ease New York designer Tracy Feith’s financial woes.

Feith and longtime partner Susan Winget have been virtually invisible as of late, which may have something to do with the more than $200,000 he and his company owe to landlords in Manhattan and in Montauk.

In January 2009, Feith got the most coveted fashion seal of approval – outfitting the First Lady – when Obama stepped out in his floral frock during inauguration festivities. By May of that year, however, Feith was evicted from the Madison Ave. storefront (between 93rd and 94th Sts.) where he operated his boutique. By December, a judgment was issued in Manhattan Supreme Court ordering Feith’s corporation to pay $77,060.38 in rent he owed to his landlord, KPLJ LLC.

And last August, another judgment handed down in Supreme Court determined that Feith himself was on the hook for an additional $152,745.27 because he had personally guaranteed the lease. (The amount includes court costs and damages.)

I’m thinking “fashion designer bailout.”

If Michelle Obama is giving the fashion industry a $2.7 billion boost, it’s only because most of that $2.7 billion is not being used to pay debts.

Comments

12 Responses to “Michelle Obama Retains Title as the Bermuda Triangle of Fashion Designers”

1. Michelle on October 25th, 2010 2:09 pm

I FINALLY saw someone wearing one of Michelle's signature C-4 belts in real life, although it was one of the oh- so- sophisticated ladies of the Jersy Shore ripoff, Jersylicious. What is even more interesting to me is the east coast elite attitude about flyover country folks and their lack of intelligence and sophistication. Those blue staters in Jersy are sure something to imulate, LOL!

2. Doug on October 25th, 2010 2:19 pm

C-4? Not sure I'd wear a belt named after a type of plastic explosive… could make it tougher to get on a plane.

3. nannykins on October 25th, 2010 2:24 pm

Like this entire administration – Moochelle's wardrobe is a complete train wreck!!!

4. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2010 3:00 pm

"Moochelle"

How perfect. Don't change a thing! Is it just me or are other posters starting to see some incredible Imelda Marcos parallels? Hell, they could be shopping buddies.

5. Michelle Obama and fashion felonies « The Daley Gator on October 25th, 2010 6:38 pm

[...] important. Yes, I agree, it has nothing to do with her abilities. Yes, I know all of that! But damn it is still funny. I mean come on, who wears that outside? Yes, OK a crazed homeless person might. But besides a [...]

6. SignPainterGuy on October 25th, 2010 6:41 pm

Those $500.00 "gardening boots" from a few days ago – for cryin` out loud !

I have yet to see her wearing anything traditionally "first lady like" !

7. Mazzuchelli on October 25th, 2010 6:47 pm

The sleeveless sheathes are fine for anyone BUT the first lady. She's simultaneously ignorant and arrogant. Plus, her rear end is as big as all outdoors.

8. Nanny on October 25th, 2010 7:52 pm

Speaking of mooching – did you see that Zero and company are completely taking over the Taj Mahal hotel – every room – along with several other venues for his trip to India. WTF! This is a just another example of the elites thinking they are way more important than those they are supposed to be "serving".

9. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2010 8:45 pm

"along with several other venues" My gawd…

No, actually, Nanny I hadn't seen that. Until you mentioned it that is. Blech. Here's the bright side, while that number of rooms may 'sound' impressive it now comprises the total number of Team Obama loyalists!

10. SignPainterGuy on October 25th, 2010 10:00 pm

It has been explained that the intire hotel was taken over for "security reasons"……that makes sense, but not such a huge place !! I`ve heard "in the range of 1,000 rooms total " ! I say, "Take that out of p`bo`s book deal or his own damn stash !" We should not be stuck with paying for such excesses !!

11. SignPainterGuy on October 25th, 2010 10:11 pm

Your point is well taken and I don`t disagree, but I live in an area, Western NC, where morbid obesity is near epidemic………our ideas of "as big as all outdoors" are a wee bit different ! MO can climb AF-1 stairs w/o assisstance !! By my reckoning, we have more than our share of 400 pounders! Thank God, they are offset by our share of lovely lasses !

12. Dandapani on October 25th, 2010 11:26 pm