I have a theory that most politicians who get nosey and intrusive in the world of sports were the pencil-neck dorks who were picked last — if ever — when teams were being formed in high school gym class. As a result, they’ve been hell-bent for payback against those jocks ever since.

Enter New Jersey Rep. Frank Pallone, who can’t even watch a baseball game without getting an ass-pucker about something:

The chairman of the Energy and Commerce subcommittee on health asked the heads of the World Series teams on Monday to ban the use of chewing tobacco on the field and in the dugout during this year’s World Series, which begins Wednesday

Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) made the request in letters to the presidents of the Texas Rangers and the San Francisco Giants. Pallone held a hearing in April to examine the effects on youth of smokeless tobacco use by MLB players.

I don’t want kids using tobacco, but if we’re going to express concern for their well-being and what they’re exposed to, I can think of better areas to start. Check out Pallone’s horrendous pro-abortion record. I’d say that if he really cares about kids, he should start revising those stances and then get back to baseball players about their tobacco habits.

And San Francisco? Sure, lets tell the team from the the city that hands out free heroin needles and condoms not to use tobacco because it sends the wrong message to kids.

Try minding your own business and putting a clamp on record debt, Rep. Pallone, and I’ll make sure my kids aren’t unduly influenced by Josh Hamilton. Fair enough?

Comments

10 Responses to “Congressman Tackling Pressing World Issue of Baseball Players Chewing Tobacco at World Series”

1. nannykins on October 26th, 2010 1:11 pm

Millions of people out of work – and all the D's are concerned with is chewing tobacco. Ummmmmm I guess when you are a politician………

2. Marshall_Will on October 26th, 2010 1:32 pm

To quote John Kruk of the Phillies…

"I'm not an athelete… I'm a ball player!"

( Full Disclosure? I've chewed since I was in my teens, not 'proud' of it, just sayin' ) I'm doing my best to quit and my alcohol consumption is down to a trickle of it's former self. Both of our son-in-laws chew ( when hunting etc. ) but started long before even dating our daughters. This IS Oregon after all?

But "Pressing World Issue"? You've GOT to be kidding me! As nannykins points out, we're basically in what The Onion laughingly describes as "The Financial Fallout Shelter" but we have time to worry about 'this'? Like anyone in Jersey is watching a Texas/Cali Series anyway! Move along people… there's free smack to be doled out.

3. sizemorew on October 26th, 2010 2:47 pm

"I have a theory that most politicians who get nosey and intrusive in the world of sports were the pencil-neck dorks who were picked last — if ever — when teams were being formed in high school gym class."

Only the ones that desperately wanted to be jocks in spite of their dorkiness. The rest of us knew that karma would catch up to the jocks that picked on us the most at the first high school reunion.

4. nannykins on October 26th, 2010 3:22 pm

Yeah I agree athlete wanna bees like Anthony Weiner and Henry Waxman! How would you like to encounter that in the locker room?!!! Ughhhhh

5. sizemorew on October 26th, 2010 3:45 pm

Oh God. That mental image can never be unseen.

6. sizemorew on October 26th, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm afraid I'm not following what you're saying, Marshall. Care to explain?

7. Marshall_Will on October 26th, 2010 4:02 pm

Keep in mind, I live 38 miles ( and about a hundred years ) from Lib Catastrophe Portland, Oregon. Before they elected an openly gay mayor, we had a lesbian mayor.

Vera Katz took up the cause of -mandating- local merchants install ( I am not making this up! ) "third sex bathrooms" so those that didn't immediately identify w/ either sex, would not feel uncomfortable having to chose between ( standing or sitting.., I presume? )

This was the 90's and we were all makin' BANK off the dot.com craze so… with the Wealth Effect at her back, she thought the timing was right for that 'push' ( no pun intended ) It's the same thing here! Having the luxury to debate the things only the idle rich have the time to pursue?

8. sizemorew on October 26th, 2010 5:03 pm

Ah, I live in Florida in probably the most conservative county in the state. (Where I commute to work, however, is a lot more liberal.) So having some background helped me understand what you were saying.

And apparently that's the case because, Lord knows, most people don't have time to worry that their kid is going to be influenced to try chewing tobacco while watching baseball.

9. Marshall_Will on October 26th, 2010 7:03 pm

Right, and I'm by no means endorsing it but against the backdrop of all the vices Doug lays out for S.F.., chewing seems relatively harmless?

Kind of like how Dem's get all bent out of shape over the Capital Gains Debate but whoTF has cap. gains any more? They've SEEN to that!

10. sizemorew on October 27th, 2010 10:40 am

I hear ya. Compared to all that's going on in San Francisco, why is chewing tobacco considered more of a threat to kids than the free needles and condoms? California is like the front gate to Bizarro World.

I actually have a theory on that! By making a big deal out of the Capital Gains Debate, the Democrats make it look like they're trying to protect the little guy from greedy big corporations when, in reality, they're making it harder and harder for employers to hire those same little people. The suckers that buy into the Democrats' talking points provide Democrats with votes.