Here in Michigan, Democrat Virg Bernero is running for governor (currently over 20 points down) and is also the mayor of my former hometown, Lansing. You know things are going bad for Bernero when he brings in Bill Clinton to Detroit and, between the two of them, they can only fill up one-third of a high school gym.

Even Bernero’s hometown paper isn’t buying his “I saved Lansing” line, because they endorsed the Republican, Rick Snyder:

“We can’t afford not to act.”

With those words, Republican gubernatorial candidate Rick Snyder properly identifies the magnitude of the challenge ahead for Michigan – and the biggest reason Michiganians should vote for him Nov. 2.

Snyder sees the mess that is Lansing and he actually is volunteering to lead an effort to clean it up. He comes to the task with a fresh eye, a fresh reputation and, most important, a significant mandate from the voters to do something different.

The LSJ Editorial Board endorses Rick Snyder for governor of Michigan.

What’s kind of pitiful about the LSJ’s acknowledgement of the horrendous mess Michigan has become is that in 2006 and 2008 the State Journal endorsed the lib/left politicians who they said were the best people to fix these problems. The LSJ endorsed Jennifer Granholm and they endorsed Barack Obama. Both have been economic disasters not only for Michigan but for the country (Granholm is one of Obama’s economic advisers — go figure).

Therefore, I can no longer endorse any of the State Journal’s endorsements. I’d have a lot more faith in Snyder’s ability to turn this state around if the Lansing State Journal thought he was bad for Michigan.

Comments

17 Responses to “Lansing State Journal Endorses Republican to Fix Problems Perpetuated By Democrats They’ve Endorsed”

1. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2010 11:56 am

"is that in 2006 and 2008 the State Journal endorsed the lib/left politicians"

Doug.., you're SUCH a disappointment to me! ( Hate the 'sin' not the sinner.., remember? )

Yeah don'tcha' just love when people come around AFTER the fact/debacle? Kind of like when an 18 y.o wants to sit down and "talk about their 'direction' in life" -after- they totaled your car, got booked on DUI, AND ruined his date's prom dress! Yeah.., let's 'talk'.

"He mentions his "value for money" budgeting concept" ( Rick Snyder ) You know, it's so -crazy- ( it just might work? ) There's a change in the wind says I!

2. Adam on October 27th, 2010 12:16 pm

Same thing happened here in Milwaukee. The Journal Sentinel which has been a democrat mouthpiece for the longest time is endorsing very conservative Scott Walker over liberal Tom Barrett. They've bashed Walker at almost any and every chance they had, and now they want him to lead the state after the dems sunk us into a god-awful financial mess. The question is, does anyone honestly vote for whomever a newspaper endorses?

3. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2010 12:36 pm

Adam,

I suspect we may be from different generations but in mine ( born in '59 ) yes, we do tend to at the very least weigh that. However… in the past, the paper carefully considered a candidate's track record before throwing their weight ( and reputation! ) behind them. You're right, it no longer carries the prestige it once did.

But on a more basic level, my question is, does this Abandon Ship! signify what we conservatives prefer to believe, that libs have had their "Come To Jesus Moment" and truly seen the light? Or is this just a childish temper tantrum exhibiting their disappointment for not dashing 237 years of American freedoms exchanged for entitlements in the time it takes to break up with a really tenacious girlfriend?

4. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2010 1:50 pm

nannykins,

Oh absolutely. But remember, we're leading in the polls right now so let's not muck it up w/ some mindless *b!tch and/or "back of the bus" comment! LOL

Yesterday I spoke out on confronting parents about their lack of child rearing 'skills' and I truly meant it. So many good parents are overly concerned that the other parents "won't like them" for ( tactfully ) pointing out their shortcomings.

Well la' de freakin' da! Who cares!? Will 'they' be there for you after their kid leads 'yours' astray? To bail them out of jail, drop them off at re-hab? Hell to the NO! My suggestion? Start early. Let the other parents KNOW you're not timid about "making a stink" over rude behavior. The ones w/ crummy kids anyway, won't want the headache so they are now free to seek the LCD ( lowest common denominator ) where decent behavior isn't even expected, and leave your kids alone!

5. nannykins on October 27th, 2010 1:52 pm

Ya know Adam – I followed that newspaper back several years ago when the big trial was going on over the Packers football player and some teenybopper who claimed he raped her at a prom party. Still love those defense lawyers – that whole show was addicting!

6. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2010 2:00 pm

nannykins,

Any chance we'd be able to reach Rick Snyder and talk him into doing a Guest Blogger Appearance here!? Anybody that talks about "value for money" is someone I want to hear more from!

Oh and the Voter FRAUD story MM is running with is nothing short of repulsive! Good God, it's 2010, wouldn't you think we'd have this voter fraud bs whipped by now? Let's make sure we don't let the Dem's get away with this.

7. Doug on October 27th, 2010 2:14 pm

Gee, I wonder who the LSJ would have endorsed if Bernero was tied or in the lead with Snyder?

We moved out of Lansing when Hollister was mayor, but not for that reason particularly. We just got sick of our stuff getting stolen all the time.

8. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2010 2:39 pm

Doug,

That's an excellent point, and small wonder print papers are well on the path to extinction. As Adam suggests, wouldn't these endorsements mean a lot more if they were made 'before' a race was basically over?

Sorry about your stuff. But what probably hurts more is that Lansing was once a place where neighbors could be trusted. Are you considering a move? While I always wish nothing but the best for Michelle M and would -never- blame anyone for wanting to get out of the "Beltway Swamp" she's still in that "honeymoon phase" of living out West. Thirty years after leaving Chicago for Oregon, there's still times where I wonder what Life would be like outside of "small market"?

9. nannykins on October 27th, 2010 2:43 pm

I work in Lansing and live farther north in the burbs. But here is a funny one. The city of Lansing charges you if they respond to a burglar alarm more than 3 times and it appears to be a false alarm. We have been billed 4 times now. Which means our alarm has gone off 12 times in the last 3 years. We have police reports and photos of the attempted 12 break-ins but the city said tuff – you pay. Our business caters to a lot of law enforcement and they think Bernero and company is a joke – including our current governor.

We really need a break in Michigan – just don't think Snyder is what is going to turn it around. Too liberal for me.

10. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2010 3:04 pm

"just don't think Snyder is what is going to turn it around"

Probably not! But he sounds like a step in the right direction, and for now that's just going to have to be good enough. The damage that we're forced to undo will take a long, looong time. Incrementally though, we'll get it done.

After all, we've seen what "pinning your hopes on (1) singular candidate to make all their entitlement dreams come true" can lead to, have we not?

11. Doug on October 27th, 2010 3:23 pm

At this point I'm not so much looking for somebody to "turn it around" as much as just to stop the freakin' thing from sinking… if that's even possible at this point.

12. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2010 3:59 pm

Doug,

Your comment about forcing just (1) Rangel, Reid, Fwank to step down being a major accomplishment was.., sobering. But I came here to learn and learn I did!

Pick your fights, count your blessings and take encouragement where you can find it. A big part of the problem is that so many of us have become so estranged from our own children there's no longer a sense of "preserving democracy for future generations". And what says "I'm all about 'today' " more than demanding free healthcare?

13. SignPainterGuy on October 27th, 2010 3:59 pm

All right, M_W, it`s your turn to steel that spine, stop mush-mouthin`, say what you really mean……I`m right here behind you, backin` ya up all the way ! No, no I`m not leaving, I`m just steppin` out for a smoke ! Yeah, that`s it , gotta smoke ! See ya !

14. SignPainterGuy on October 27th, 2010 4:16 pm

The Kennedy-Nixon campaign of `59-`60 is the first I remember, (born in `53), and one thing that has been consistant to the present is nearly every pol will shift position to the right during the campaign to have any chance of winning…..If a voter waits till the last month to decide who to vote for will have missed the boat ! It`s near impossible to sift through the BS at this point !

Our local lib. fishwrap has endorsed a conservative for sheriff over the incumbent dem………(pick up my jaw) ! Strange times !

15. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2010 7:50 pm

Jane!

Dearest.., any chance you could talk Rick into dropping by just to say a few words? When he said "value for money" I really connected with that! It's a message that deserves the biggest audience possible, evah.

Oh and God love you for pitching in, as an Oregonian I thought "doing my part" ended at dropping off the mail-in ballot, you know, when I'm not too busy? Call Rick!

16. Nanny on October 27th, 2010 8:40 pm

Jane – I work for a company that has numerous dealings with the state of Michigan and believe me – he doesn't get it. You cannot turn around a mentality ingrained into the state workers. He would have to fire them all and start over and you know that isn't going to happen. I can give you written proof just how they scam the system set up for purchases. Believe me I have tried – and all you get is the dumb look and a shrug of the shoulders usually followed by – why do you care it isn't your money.

I don't think he gets it at all or he is in for one helluva surprise.

17. Marshall_Will on October 27th, 2010 9:04 pm

"fire them all and start over"

I like it! I like it! Again, it becomes uphill to go again' a consensus of informed bloggers, and without knowing the first thing about the man, here's where I reserve judgment and hold out hope:

Going forward, we just have to mold these candidates into what WE want as voters! Look, when there were two pot plants in every chicken ( Chief Wanna Dube? ) and we were gettin' fat & happy off our 401k's ( who cared! )

Well now there's plenty of UNemployed voters that have nothing but time on their hands and the will to hound these guys into oblivion if they don't do our bidding! At 5% unemployment, the only people that don't 'have' a job are the ones that don't WANT a job! So pols had salt o' the earth on one hand, too busy to be bothered and on the other a group too stoned to care. This is a game changer. I'm… I'm… hopeful.