This year I’m proud to be a member of the US Marine team taking part in the Project Valour-IT fundraising competition. This competition featuring four teams: The Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines.

Here’s a brief explanation of what this great cause is all about:

Project Valour-IT, in memory of SFC William V. Ziegenfuss, helps provide voice-controlled/adaptive laptop computers and other technology to support Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines recovering from hand wounds and other severe injuries. Technology supplied includes:

Voice-controlled Laptops – Operated by speaking into a microphone or using other adaptive technologies, they allow the wounded to maintain connections with the rest of the world during recovery.

Wii Video Game Systems – Whole-body game systems increase motivation and speed recovery when used under the guidance of physical therapists in therapy sessions (donated only to medical facilities).

Personal GPS – Handheld GPS devices build self-confidence and independence by compensating for short-term memory loss and organizational challenges related to severe TBI and severe PTSD.

Click the “learn more” button to, well, learn more, or click the “give now” button to help the heroes who sacrifice so much to keep us secure and free:

learn more

learn more

The goal for Team Marine is now $25,000, but goals are made to be eclipsed, so let’s do it! Thanks for any help you can provide our men and women in uniform! The competition ends Veterans Day, November 11:

As a related item, Cassy Fiano has a great feature about UFC fighters experiencing US Marine training. I feel like a total wimp right now.

Comments

16 Responses to “Project Valour-IT Fundraiser”

1. OK_Loyalist on November 4th, 2010 1:17 pm

Seems like a dandy cause Doug and I am able to give a few $

2. Marshall_Will on November 4th, 2010 1:36 pm

Doug,

Thanks so much for posting this. My sister volunteers for the DAV and have sent her the link. Also forwarded to our Chaplain on base for inclusion in the weekly Squadron Newsletter. Will donate from there ( I could use the brownie pts. ) Ironically our Chaplain's name is pronounced "Croaker".

Great, you're lying in a pool of your own blood and 'who' do they send to read you your Last Rites? Yeah.., f#@kin' great… Nice guy though!

3. Doug on November 4th, 2010 1:39 pm

Awesome! Thanks!

4. Doug on November 4th, 2010 1:51 pm

'who' do they send to read you your Last Rites?

Hahaha!

A friend of mine has a pastor named "Bater." Yeah, introducing himself as "Pastor Bator" never gets him any chuckles…

5. Marshall_Will on November 4th, 2010 2:38 pm

LOL, yeah, imagine being a young couple explaining which Pastor performed your service when tying the knot. You did 'what' on the altar?

Ahem, like your oft "flummoxed" friend, I just can't get my mind wrapped around what unraveled in Nevada? Show me a stockbroker that doesn't have side bets and I'll show you a liar every time.

The money I don't mind so much, keeps life interesting after the market closes. But I have enough champagne on my face to rate a DUI. How can the polls have been so wrong! The only lesson I can take away is, totally IGNORE the damned pollsters next go 'round and trust 'em about as far as you can THROW them!

I mean this IS what those guys do for a "living", right?

6. SignPainterGuy on November 4th, 2010 3:50 pm

Doug, my NORTON sec. prog. just alerted me, "This w/s has been reported to be dangerous !" Clicked over to MM`s place and saw this same f/r post, read it there and decided to give…then on a whim jumped back here and wouldn`t you know it, no alert this time ! HMMM, what does this mean ?

Just thought you should know ! Feel free to "self-meter" your panic !

BTW, thanks for your service to this great cause !

7. Doug on November 4th, 2010 4:13 pm

Hmm, that's weird. Please let me know if it happens again. I have McAffee and it's never alerted me. Maybe some raging lib is in charge of Norton's alert system…?

8. Marshall_Will on November 4th, 2010 4:34 pm

Hey, could be worse, any idea how many times that's happened when I went to check The Drudge Report!?! I swear, some of -the- worst viruses my desktop has gotten over the years have been through Drudge.

With all the unemployed 'former' Dem. staffers, expect more of the same. Like Michelle M says, "If you're not taking flak ( you're not over the target! )"

9. Carrie on November 4th, 2010 4:44 pm

Thank you so much for all your support for the Marine team in the Valour IT fundraiser!!
    We greatly appreciate it.
    Carrie Costantini

10. SignPainterGuy on November 4th, 2010 4:47 pm

Been here 4 times total today, only got the alert the first visit ! Hmmm! Will keep you apprised !

Agreed M_W, Doug should take it with pride, the libs know your "dangerous" !!! Norton came pre-installed and earned a second year after cleaning out "conficker" last year !

I`ve gotten a couple alerts on Drudge, but Townhall gives me more issues !

11. Marshall_Will on November 4th, 2010 5:02 pm

SPG,

As have I. I read Joyanna Adams ( linked lower left, God she's a scream! ) and her Blog is thru Townhall. Just trying to post there can seem like a real labyrinth?

Oh, by the by caught MM on Fox this morning and for someone that doesn't do impersonations for a living, her rendition of the -former- Speaker was hilarious! You could tell she was having one hell of a time keeping a straight face. ( How 'does' one emulate The Face That Launched a 1,000 Botox Parties? ) Who am I to talk, probably couldn't have kept a straight face either!

12. Doug on November 4th, 2010 5:17 pm

Thanks Carrie! It's an honor to be a part of it!

13. SignPainterGuy on November 4th, 2010 5:49 pm

I missed MM again ?! Dangit ! (hangs and shakes head) Maybe FOX has it saved !?

"-former- Speaker"; fewer words taste so sweet !! Were it plural, I`d have gone into a sugar coma for days !!

14. SignPainterGuy on November 4th, 2010 5:51 pm

Our GALANT MEN and WOMEN deserve no less and SO MUCH MORE !!!

And THANK YOU !!

15. Marshall_Will on November 4th, 2010 6:01 pm

"Were it plural" LOL!

After the drubbing R's took in Oregon, I could use all the laughs I can get! That isn't true, we're now neck & neck in the State house and picked up several seats. I just would've given my right eye to not have another Dem. gub'nor.

Since this @ssclown proved he can ruin our economy even in the 'best' of times, what is he trying to prove? Evidently you "can't fix stupid" so what are we doing, "doubling down"?

16. SignPainterGuy on November 4th, 2010 9:02 pm

NC House and Senate both went R for the first time in ONE HUNDRED YEARS ! Sorry, I had to shout it !

Our guvner-ess, Beverley Perdue, aka: Ma Bev, (D) and waay lib, is better than the previous guvner, Mike Easley (of Blago`s mentor for pay for play-fame) only because she has changed the traditional state capitol attitude of, "NC has a western end – who knew ?" That`s why you`ll notice I stress Western NC ! We are req. by law to contribute to the state`s rainy day-, highway- and other funds but by law cannot receive any benefits from those funds ! No joke ! After hurricanes Francis and Ivan clobbered us in `04, we had to sue Easley for the rainy day monies ! Guess what ? He had looted those funds ! Cue Gomer here !

IOW, I be feein` yer pain, bro !