Planned Parenthood has a new logo.

How Gail Collins could write this without tears of laughter falling by the gallon and shorting out her laptop is beyond me — but I shed them on her behalf when I read it. I kept waiting for a point in this New York Times article where Collins had to stop herself and write, “I can’t go on — this is just a joke…” But, that point never came:

I think it is time to take back the mama grizzly.

“In real life, they are famous for their reproductive freedom,” said Gloria Steinem over the phone.

This is one of the many things I love about Steinem. When things are darkest, she will come up with a very cheering factoid about Iroquois women in pre-Columbian America or the private life of female bears.

“Mama grizzlies mate later than other bears,” she continued. “They have two cubs instead of four. They wait four years — about twice as long as other bears — between having cubs. And after they’re pregnant, if winter is hard or their health is not good or the food supply is uncertain, they re-absorb the embryo into their body.”

This is certainly a side of grizzly home life that we have not been getting from Sarah Palin, who has adopted the bear as the symbol of her movement.

So there you go — grizzly bears are pro-abortion liberals. And did you know that when humans aren’t watching, grizzlies turn into birkenstock-wearing vegetarians who drive Priuses?

If they want to play that game, I could also point out that in the grizzly world there’s no unemployment compensation, no welfare checks, no coddling of enemies, no political correctness, and most importantly, no radical feminist insanity.

Moonbat liberal feminists are so funny.

(h/t Darleen Click)

Comments

26 Responses to “Desperate Argument Du Jour: Sarah Palin Shouldn’t Use ‘Mama Grizzlies’ Because Bears are Pro Choice”

1. ken on November 7th, 2010 2:02 pm

next will be Rudolph was gay!

2. huffanpuff on November 7th, 2010 2:08 pm

What I met to say is we all will have to study up on all things in general before we even say a word about things,places &life for all I know I will be told that my Christmas animal "Rudolph" was gay.

3. Clu Seatoe on November 7th, 2010 2:15 pm

Once again Steinem breaths life into the adage:

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you a fool than open it and remove all doubt.

And to be honest I think I would have to agree with Gail Collins, "This is one of the many things I love about Steinem" – her stupidity.

4. Doug on November 7th, 2010 2:15 pm

Yep, that'll be next, but there is some evidence that Rudolph liked girls:

5. SignPainterGuy on November 7th, 2010 2:23 pm

I`ve known for a long time that bears will "(>HOLD<)" their fertilized embryos till the next season (occassionally two seasons) if food sources are insufficient for a healthy jestation period…an "involuntary response" ! NEVER have I heard or read that mama-bears to-be make a concious decision to do this ! It is a natural response to body stores of nutrients or other environmental stresses …. Not their "pro-choice" or "pro-life" idealogical leanings !!

Isn`t it funny how lib. idiots seem compelled to fly their stupidity like bright yellow flags ?!

6. SignPainterGuy on November 7th, 2010 2:26 pm

Well, I`d have to say, "The science is settled" !

7. SignPainterGuy on November 7th, 2010 2:47 pm

DOUG, re: your latest post at MM`s place- "….Fife Security"… not only have we outsourced our jobs to India, now it seems they have been cherry picking our Hollywood icons ! Barney Fife LIVES !!!

But relax folks, all this outsourcing is creating jobs here – Teh One done said so !!

8. Moonbat Liberal Feminists: “Grizzly bears are pro-abortion liberals” « Mayrant&rave on November 7th, 2010 3:47 pm

[...] by Doug Powers – The Powers That Be – 11/07/2010 [...]

9. Jiggs on November 7th, 2010 6:41 pm

Who knew? Next they'll be using IUD's. Ahhhh! Another source of income for Planned Parenthood.

10. SignPainterGuy on November 7th, 2010 7:50 pm

Can you imagine the whole new set of gummint subsidies that would create ?! Probably even several new college study courses and field trials ! Land set-asides and volumes of new rules and regs. ! Cue Gomer here ,"Gaawlleeeee !"

11. Alvin691 on November 8th, 2010 12:30 am

Sorry Progressives, Grizzlies don't abort their cubs and ask for government subsudies to pay for them.

12. Marshall_Will on November 8th, 2010 1:04 pm

SPG,

I'll take you at your word. ( And where's The Zoo Keeper to weigh in on all of this!? )

Unreal. "File under Moonbats"? Doug, I make a practice not to tell someone how to run their business, but this rates a whole new sub-category. In ways, this can and should be a good sign. Libs are clutching at straws so flailing, they're literally drowning each other to save themselves.

To wit: Banner at top of PTB reads: Sign The "Petition To Save Olby!" They just aren't getting it. 'Save'? From what, himself?

13. sizemorew on November 8th, 2010 1:34 pm

"Mama grizzlies mate later than other bears."

That sounds more like an argument on the pro-life side to wait before having sex, an action which could result in kids.

"They have two cubs instead of four."

Still not seeing this as a pro-abortion…er…pro-choice argument. Collins, you do realize that even pro-lifers make a choice of when to stop popping out babies and, y'know, get their tubes tied, right? Just a thought.

"They wait four years — about twice as long as other bears — between having cubs."

Pro-lifers don't pop out new kids every nine months, Collins. The mothers don't live their lives in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant. Some couples wait longer between kids than others both on the "pro-choice" and pro-life side.

"And after they’re pregnant, if winter is hard or their health is not good or the food supply is uncertain, they re-absorb the embryo into their body."

A grizzly doesn't actively look around, think "Aw, gee, I can't do this to my cub", and will its body to abort the baby. This is something beyond the mama grizzly's control much like a natural miscarriage.

I'm not convinced, Collins.

14. SignPainterGuy on November 8th, 2010 1:42 pm

Bears are interesting critters, and here, with a really good food supply this year, wildlife officials are looking for a bumper crop of cubs next year ! This year there has been a record no. of in-town (downtown) black bear sightings; they`ll be on the couthouse steps next !

"Libs…….are….drowning each other…." Yep, a GOOD sign ! Prayers answered ! I`m reminded of the addages, "It`s always darkest before the dawn." and "The enemy fights hardest just before his defeat."

Have you seen that Olby will be back on tuesday ? Not much punishment in my mind ! Comical, though !

15. Marshall_Will on November 8th, 2010 2:22 pm

sizemorew,

Further… not long ago Doug did a great piece on the Gore Family ( complete w/ fam. photo ) AND… Mrs. Will and I stopped at TWO! Then again, who puts the 'hip' in hypocrite quite like Al?

Facing the same brand of economic uncertainty we do today in the late 80's ( Stock Market Crash of '87 and grinding… unemployment ) we did a coin toss and uh… I lost. Snip-snip. Often, heartfelt "balloons were sent up" as to whether I was disappointed in not having a son..? NO! I'm 'perfectly' happy… ( and other white lies you tell one another to stay married… )

Nothing from the Left surprises me any more. Don't get me wrong, if you want EIGHT kids, bully for you! ( Just don't tell others what they should do, right? )

16. sizemorew on November 8th, 2010 2:29 pm

Didn't mean to sound like I was telling someone what to do. I just found it ridiculous that they make the argument of "grizzlies limit their cubs so therefore they're pro-choice"! I was making the (poorly-worded) counterargument that there are people out there who're against abortion that limit their kids by different means. If someone wants to have eight kids, that's their choice to do so and more power to them.

17. Marshall_Will on November 8th, 2010 3:21 pm

sizemorew,

Oh that was the furthest thing from my mind. Not at all. My point was that, take for instance ( and one of these days Doug will get around to telling us about his kids! ) but Michelle M and her husband have what.., two? The same number Mrs. Will and I do. Al and Tipper had like what, six..!?

So… if we're Conservatives ( and hate the Earth, refusing to"live simply so that others may live"… etc. ) shouldn't we be having like a baker's dozen or so? We're very happy w/ the family we had ( and I don't think I could have 'made' it thru a third? ) but the point being, conservatives will NEVER get credit for practicing what liberals 'preach'! ( I walk to work and we own (1) car ) They love to gloss over that too.

18. DEO on November 8th, 2010 9:07 pm

$arah PAYlin is ALSO TOO giving Pit Bulls a bad name….I'd like to take that mantle back ALSO TOOOO.
    The Pit Bull is a noble creature, and $arah is just a tap dancing vaudeville act doing the hoochy koochy for a buck or maybe a carny sideshow doing the shimmy to the tune of cha-ching….
    Poor grizzlies and pitbulls. ain't fair.

19. Marshall_Will on November 8th, 2010 10:45 pm

Cute! Work on those prepositional phrases though? ( Typically covered in the 6th Grade )

20. OK_Loyalist on November 9th, 2010 4:33 am

Don't hold me to this. And regardless of any hurt feelings, I won't be retracting anything I say, because I don't have to. What Gail and Gloria was trying to say to Palin… Ursus horribilis, is like a democrat, it will fight to the end to keep a murdering child molester from execution, but pass the auger for my choice of birth control.

21. sizemorew on November 9th, 2010 11:22 am

Ah, I getcha. :D I misunderstood. Sorry about that.

And, yeah, you're totally right. We've got eco-nuts leaving "carbon footprints" the size of Montana yet they're griping about the number of squares of toilet paper we peons use.

22. sizemorew on November 9th, 2010 11:23 am

I really should go with your policy, but I enjoy doing "argument jujitsu" on liberals. It's fun to watch them turn purple when you take their argument and disprove it. :D

23. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 7:17 pm

So many I run into don`t slow down long enough for me to give them more than my "You actually believe that sh&* ?" look !! I have an expressive face that can be read like a book ! I wanted to be a mime, but after being left in the box all afternoon, I thought better of it !

24. sizemorew on November 9th, 2010 9:15 pm

LOL! Must be hard to get out of an invisible box since you can't find the exit.

25. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 10:43 pm

I learned only too late that I could have climbed over the walls and gotten out ! (no top) That was a really cold rain ! And I missed supper !

26. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 10:48 pm

Townhall.com had a cartoon a few days ago of two French cops walking away from three rioting mimes that they had locked in their invisible jail (right on the sidewalk) saying something to the effect, "They can stay in there till they rot for all I care!"

Ahh, the French ! They`re such a riot !