Early evening yesterday, about 35 miles west of Los Angeles, a missile launch lit up the sky. The problem is, nobody claims to know who launched it:

A mysterious missile launch off the southern California coast was caught by CBS affiliate KCBS’s cameras Monday night, and officials are staying tight-lipped over the nature of the projectile.

CBS station KFMB put in calls to the Navy and Air Force Monday night about the striking launch off the coast of Los Angeles, which was easily visible from the coast, but the military has said nothing about the launch.

KFMB showed video of the apparent missile to former U.S. Ambassador to NATO Robert Ellsworth, who is also a former Deputy Secretary of Defense, to get his thoughts.

Did somebody accidentally lean on a “launch” button in a sub? Was it Nancy Pelosi taking one last joyride on her private Speaker’s jet? You be the judge:

Did that guy theorize that maybe Obama was trying to somehow intimidate Beijing while he was overseas? How? By scaring the crap out of Los Angeles?

You’d think a missile launch 35 miles off the coast of Los Angeles that our military had no part in would have triggered some national defense measures, wouldn’t you? At least a switch to “DefCon WTF?” might be in order — but we’ll have to wait and see what’s going on with this.

Whatever happened, sleep well, America — Janet Napolitano is on the job!

Or… maybe it was Napolitano!

Update: Possible validation of my “Nancy Pelosi’s last joyride” theory from the Washington Times: Smoke plume may have been aircraft

(h/t Michelle Malkin)

Comments

46 Responses to “Hmm: Mystery Missile Launch Off California Coast; Updated”

1. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 3:38 pm

You get more military-response from a UFO sighting ! This is NOT confidence-inspiring, to say the least !

2. Clydeconspiritor on November 9th, 2010 3:55 pm

The Obeyone's cop out: Ididn't do it…it wasn't me….if it was me, I'm sorry for America, and I promise it'll never happen again.
    Bye the way…..yer on yer own…good luck.

3. Scott B on November 9th, 2010 6:03 pm

A training exercise, isn't that the usual B.S., Rhody? (a la Tony Stark)

4. Marshall_Will on November 9th, 2010 6:18 pm

Scott B,

I went back to nearest like incident and found TWA Flight 800, July 17th 1996 over Long Island Sound, that ( according to the TFHC, tin foil hat crowd ) was a "friendly fire incident" before the wreckage came back down to earth? ( With all due respect to those who lost loved ones )

Interesting in that, back in July of '96 ( when the internet was just gaining traction ) it had already become a fertile env. for "Pierre Salinger Syndrome" and those that see a conspiracy around every corner!

While not identical ( during Clinton ) and no passengers involved, funny how the MSM thus far has elected to steer clear of speculation, as compared to say, if… Bush were in office? I never worked in the CIC ( Combat Information Center ) but I know for a fact missles don't launch 'themselves'! There's a whole protocol and Chain Of Command that must be followed.

5. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 6:27 pm

Nappy Strangetano ? Janet Nappylove ?? Regardless, She`s just doing the job no one else would do, right ?

I`ll give you a pass, Doug on the photoshopping of Slim Pickens riding the big firecracker down (from "Dr. Strangelove") rather than Nappy Jan or anyone else riding a missle up……`cause you can rightfully claim, it`s somebodyelse`s fault !

6. Michelle Malkin » Mystery missile: Shades of Scare Force One; Update: Was it a missile or not? on November 9th, 2010 7:01 pm

[...] mystery missile theory from Doug Powers: It was Nancy Pelosi on her last joyride. Posted in: Homeland Security Printer Friendly comments (106)   trackbacks [...]

7. co2insanity on November 9th, 2010 7:02 pm

Nancy Pelosi's broom had a flame out.

8. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 8:21 pm

On a more serious note, Rush pointed out today that China is very displeased with Bernanke monetizing our debt, and have in the past mentioned that it would be easy for them to park a sub off our west coast and lob a missle onto our shore ! (or words to that effect) It does explain one reason why the Pentagon and NORAD and other military sources seem to be clueless about exactly what happened !

Something else to make us go, hhmmmm !

9. BruceMajor on November 9th, 2010 8:47 pm

Breaking News on California SLBM missile:

Barney Frank denies knowing his boyfriend was an international weapons dealer.

10. Marshall_Will on November 9th, 2010 9:09 pm

We'll assume the trajectory was 'westerly' ( but 'where' in the Pacific did it land? ) Any word on that yet?

Missle launches are expen….sive! All the time I spent in the Navy I saw (2). Most missle launch exercises are 'simulated'. In those years the 'Nav' used the Sea Sparrow.

11. sizemorew on November 9th, 2010 9:16 pm

+5 internets for the Iron Man reference. XD

12. Hmm: Mystery Missile Launch Off California Coast : The Powers That Be | News On Trend on November 9th, 2010 9:18 pm

[...] Hmm: Mystery Missile Launch Off California Coast : Th&#1077 Powers Th&#1072t B&#1077 Tags: cbs, cbs station, joyride, kfmb, nato, navy [...]

13. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 9:49 pm

Just heard on FNC (I think the guy was a retired AF Gen.) says it was most likely a jet contrail seen at an odd angle and distorted by the sunlight !

I ain`t buying that one ! The rocket-burn is too obvious as such and NOT a reflection ! And contrails, to my experience, don`t expand that quickly !

I think it was "swamp gas" ! Yeah, that`s it ! Got caught up in a weather baloon and tripped all over some sunlight ! Folks, it`s a real mess out there, so, for everyone`s safety , please return to your homes and lock your doors ! And unplug your microwave ovens for at least 24 hrs. !

14. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 10:23 pm

The guy was retired Navy Fleet Admiral . Sorry, multi-tasking !

I still like the swamp gas explanation !

15. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 10:26 pm

Coincidentally Doug ! TCM is showing "Dr. Strangelove" at 8: ET !

16. zbeeblebrox on November 10th, 2010 12:35 am

Just an FYI, I work in Newport Beach and my friends saw that cloud trail yesterday. But more importantly, we went out for a walk along the coast today on our break, and we saw it again.

Whatever it is, it has a recurring schedule.

17. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2010 12:41 am

To my knowledge no word yet on splash sight ! I`ve been reading MM`s post on subject, lots of knowledgable critters there ! Funny too !

18. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2010 12:44 am

Two launches ? And our gubermint is still mum? Cue Gomer – "Shazaam !'

19. Doug on November 10th, 2010 1:47 am

Weird, I noticed that earlier… I changed the channel right before Slim Pickens was riding the bomb too!

Best movie line in the last 50 years: "You can't fight in here. This is the war room!"

Well, maybe the 2nd best, just behind the "nice beaver" line in the Naked Gun.

20. Doug on November 10th, 2010 2:27 am

Ha! Yeah, "swamp gas"… the default explanation for the unexplainable.

If it's an airplane of some sort, it's a military fighter jet, because in portions of the video you can clearly see flame, which makes it appear to be a rocket-propelled whatever… unless that's also an optical illusion.

21. danicro on November 10th, 2010 3:09 am

Boston's Channel 5 news had the most plausible theory that I've heard so far. They had a retired military officer on the newscast that he thought it could be a test launch from a US sub off the West Coast with the purpose of sending a message to Asia as reminder of our capabilities. This might explain our military's response of not having any knowledge of a missile. You get bet they'd have the details if it was another country's submarine launching the missile.

22. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2010 3:35 am

Timing is the key to comedy ! Eee haw ! "Nice Beaver" = #1 w/o a doubt !

23. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2010 3:42 am

If you haven`t already, check out the sister post at MichelleMalkin.com, the commenters debate is excellent with experience and no small bit of humor !

No slight Doug, the commenters are just thicker over there ! (?)

24. mannyoda on November 10th, 2010 6:05 am

So, whatever it was/is (twice?), clearly the truth is being withheld from us. No way does strategic command not know about it. Of course, they lie to us all the time, and have for years. I'm pretty sure that 'our guys' are the real evil doers and they're up to no good.. is this about more war?

25. slim on November 10th, 2010 11:41 am

Dear HOUSEWIFE,
    Your probably not as far off as you think.

26. guest on November 10th, 2010 11:47 am

That wouldnt suprise me a bit . It has become a terrifying world , with mainstream citizens having no way to protect thenselves from whatever IS going on.I heard in texas that the government tested certain chemicals on its unsuspecting citizens and a relative of mine and thier family became horribly ill , along with the people in the entire area that they lived in . Thier family under went chelation treatment for many months to recover with every test run , unable to determine what it was that had poisiond them . It was horrible . Who knows whats really going on but id be willing to bet good money that we will never know about it

27. Zilla on November 10th, 2010 11:59 am

I was inspired to write a poem about this last night at my blog, with a hat tip to the post:

28. Doug on November 10th, 2010 12:17 pm

Hey, good stuff!

29. Doug on November 10th, 2010 12:18 pm

If that's the case, leave it to the government to try to do something "in secret" and choose 35 miles from Los Angeles in order to do it.

30. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2010 12:18 pm

Well done ! And your blogsite looks nice as well…who`da thought a spilled jug of vita-gels could be pretty ?

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road ?
    A: To prove to the `possum (and armadingbat) that it CAN be done !

I just love that ! Said to show even Hollywierd and California Can produce someone with intelligence, wit and wisdom ! I do so miss Ronaldus Magnus !

31. sammi on November 10th, 2010 1:23 pm

I told Deputy Barney Fife to keep his damn bullet in his shirt not in the durn gun!

Now see what a commotion ya dun caused there Barn??

Oh Andy! I didnt mean nuthin by it……..

32. Sammi on November 10th, 2010 1:25 pm

and the only airplanes that fly vertically are military jets!

or helicopters and they dont leave a contrail like that. nu uh, not buying the "Its an airplane" BS

33. Zilla on November 10th, 2010 7:27 pm

Thank you, Doug! After watching the "news" all day and scouring the blogosphere, I read my 5 year old daughter a rhyming fairy tale for bedtime and what mashed together in my head produced my little poem.

34. Zilla on November 10th, 2010 7:36 pm

Thank you, SignPainterGuy. I miss Ronald Reagan every day, I mourned his passing as if he were a family member.
    P.S. I'm from the other left coast, I live in New York.
    The vitamin pic is an ad that a friend bought space for on my blog, selling ad space helps me to pay my bills a bit. I agree though, they sure look pretty! ;)

35. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2010 8:29 pm

No one really "wants" to watch sausage being made, but it sure tastes good !

Good mommy !

36. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2010 9:00 pm

"the other left coast" Heh,heh ! As I`m fond of saying, I live just safely west of Asheville,NC-The SF of the east coast ! An eclectic mash of most everything under the sun ! Truely, the land of fruits and nuts !

On the "sausage making" idea, check out this guy http://WWW.STEEBO.COM/ . A fascinating character who makes "fascinating characters" !

37. Zilla on November 10th, 2010 9:49 pm

Wow! Those sculptures are amazing! My day has been enriched for seeing them. Thank you so much for sharing.

38. Zilla on November 10th, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks, aside from my hubby when he gets home from work, the only other grown ups I really get to talk to live in my computer. My kids are very young (5 & 3).

39. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2010 10:49 pm

I live to serve ! Not bad for a "junkyard rat / welderguy" is he ?!

My small town has a "chainsaw artist" whose specialty is bears ! He has a work in front of the public library carved into a standing oak stump featuring a mother bear reading to her cubs…..also, amazing detail ! Finished early this summer, currently being painted or stained !

40. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2010 11:11 pm

Tomorrow should be nice again, I think I`ll shoot some pics of the bear art and e-mail them to you . I`ve been waiting for an excuse ! Since it will be an e-mail w/ attachment and you haven`t seen my add. before, here`s a hint; it will contain that which ladies love to receive, especially long-stemmed !

41. noyfb on November 11th, 2010 5:28 am

If it was a plane, then our radar would of painted it and there should be a transponder code to the plane right? So why haven't they announced something that simple to explain? Or prob the Chinese sending a message to our gov saying they can fire on us anytime they want with their new subs. And right when Obama was in South Korea too.

42. Roy on November 12th, 2010 3:44 pm

Personally i think it was a test, and our sonar net grossly failed! Also 11/9 is 9/11 in reverse? Everyone knows that cold war era Soviet naval equipment (ie Subs) are going to the highest bidder. Our Pal BINNY has an pretty big check book not to mention Kimmy and the dude from Iran.

43. Missle Fired - Page 7 - Southern Maryland Community Forums on November 13th, 2010 1:59 pm

[...] [...]

44. missle launch california | World Top Trend on November 13th, 2010 3:09 pm

[...] A mysterious missile launch off the southern California coast was caught by CBS affiliate KCBS's cameras Monday night, and officials are staying tight-lipped over the nature of the projectile. CBS station KFMB put in calls to the Navy More… [...]

45. Zilla on November 13th, 2010 8:25 pm

Do you have my email addy? I'm not sure if it can be seen, oh wait, duh, it's on my blogs!

I'll go check my mail for it. :)

I'm so glad I started commenting here, you're all really cool! (especially you SPG!)

46. missile off california coast | World Top Trend on November 14th, 2010 9:20 am