The New York Times published an article about President Obama’s days as a boy in Indonesia.

The nanny must have been the one who taught Obama how to throw a baseball:

His nanny was an openly gay man who, in keeping with Indonesia’s relaxed attitudes toward homosexuality, carried on an affair with a local butcher, longtime residents said. The nanny later joined a group of transvestites called Fantastic Dolls, who, like the many transvestites who remain fixtures of Jakarta’s streetscape, entertained people by dancing and playing volleyball.

No wonder everybody took a pass whenever Barry’s dad invited them over for burgers. “The butcher is delivering some meat” took on a whole new meaning in that neighborhood. But I digress.

If you’re wondering if “transfer of wealth” politics was something Obama picked up in college, think again — he leaned that way early on:

One time, recalled the elder son, Slamet Januadi, now 52, Mr. Obama asked a group of boys whether they wanted to grow up to be president, a soldier or a businessman. A president would own nothing while a soldier would possess weapons and a businessmen would have money, the young Obama explained.

Mr. Januadi and his younger brother, both of whom later joined the Indonesian military, said they wanted to become soldiers. Another boy, a future banker, said he would become a businessman.

“Then Barry said he would become president and order the soldier to guard him and the businessman to use his money to build him something,” Mr. Januadi said.

Some things you never outgrow.

Comments

13 Responses to “Obama’s Youth in Indonesia: The Transfer of Wealth Mentality Started Early”

1. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 2:57 pm

Just plain freakin` WOW !! That explains a BUNCH !

I read recently that a teacher of the future teh one said, regarding baseball (I think), he swung both ways ! Kinda takes on multiple meanings , huh !?

Watch your back and keep a close eye on the butcher !!

2. Marshall_Will on November 9th, 2010 3:16 pm

Um… the reason that Indos/Filipinos are so 'tolerant' of Gay society there is… absolutely NO ONE takes them seriously! They have -zero- 'agenda' ( zero status ) and as for In Your Face militant tactics.., forget it.

Remember, in these countries ( and the cultural overlap is more sig. than most westerners understand, particularly in the south ) where having a television is still considered a luxury, the "Bennie Boys" are… the "entertainment"! Let's not mistake "harmless/mildly amusing" for general societal 'acceptance'. That's just plain intellectually dishonest.

3. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 3:33 pm

Interesting perspective ! Food for thought and a re-evaluation of the pre-cable days when it took rabbit ears and a roof mounted antennae to get 4 over-the-air channels ! Much in your post to be nostalgic for !

4. Marshall_Will on November 9th, 2010 3:55 pm

SPG,

Primarily, as is the case in much of Asia, being 'gay' ( is really more "having a 'gig' " ) than anything. Virtually every nail salon, bar, rest. etc. had one. Errand boys mostly. Often they had day jobs on the Base or elsewhere and their manner and dress was very much in keeping w/ societal norms.

Additionally ( as… is the case in much of Asia ) things are seldom what they appear on the surface? You'd see them working at DMV, the gas sta. etc. and almost blurt out… "I… 'thought' you were that…!?!?" and invariably their response was, "Dude, cut me a break ( I got four kids to feed! )"

My wife was always kind to them and threw 'em a few pesos now and again. It's tolerance for doing what it takes to 'survive', not "endorsement" of a lifestyle.

5. sizemorew on November 9th, 2010 6:38 pm

I want to be shocked. I really do, but judging by his upbringing, I'm not surprised he made that statement.

6. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 6:56 pm

I must remember to be thankful for having more options !

7. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 7:00 pm

Shock has become so common, it`s like background noise…..it takes something REALLY BIG to stand out and be noticed ! A shame ! Hurry up 2012 !!!!! Go Tea Party !

8. Iva Biggin on November 9th, 2010 7:49 pm

Gotta throw a BS flag here. Li'l Barry didn't have a teleprompter back then. There is no way that mannequin ever strung that many interlacing thoughts together all at once off the top of his head.

9. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 8:12 pm

That is an interesting point , Mr Braggin` `bout your Biggin, but keep in mind, this alleged bit of "interlacing thought-stringing" occured long before he became a drug-addled college student and commununity adgitator ! I`m just sayin` it coulda happent !

Fits the narrative !

10. Iva Biggin on November 9th, 2010 8:36 pm

Yeah you are right. It COULDA happened. It does fit the narrative. The story just sounds like a zealot spinning tales of the wisdom he heard from the lips of the young Messiah. Can't remove the odor of BS from this one, imho….

11. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 8:49 pm

At Doug`s very similar post at MM`s place, commenter "I Took the Red Pill" made an interesting point….Obama`s life narrative includes his job at a Baskin Robbins in Hawaii. He would have had to have a social security number / card to work legally. His SS card was issued in ……..wait for it…..Connecticut ! Can this be explained away ?! Come on folks, help me out here !

The more I learn, the more questions I have ! I want answers !

12. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2010 9:07 pm

I`m with you, big guy, it doesn`t really pass the smell test ! Not much about him does !

13. OK_Loyalist on November 10th, 2010 12:15 am

Sign seen in butcher shop … "Everyone beats our meat" !