Are they going overboard these days? It would appear so. But hey, anything to avoid the appearance of profiling:

I for one would have felt a lot safer on the plane after witnessing that patdown — the kid looked a little shifty.

Things like that accomplish nothing with the possible exception of encouraging pedophiles to apply for TSA jobs.

The actual threats to our national security must be getting a real kick out of what they’ve managed to cause.

What’s the solution? Somewhere in between the extreme over-reaction above, and this:

Update: The Danish MP thinks he has a better idea for national security — he believes that displaying photos of women’s breasts will help make the country safer, thinking it will keep fundamental Islamists from entering the country.

However, ZIP over at Weasel Zippers displays a helluva sample picture but points out that because terrorists blow themselves and others to bits because they want to see boobs, this method might backfire.

(h/t Hot Air)

Comments

9 Responses to “If the TSA Can’t Grope Kids the Terrorists Win”

1. Marshall_Will on November 15th, 2010 1:08 pm

One of my first objections to the unveiling of TSA was the casual ( dog catcher ) nature of their uniforms. Guys, there's a REASON military uniforms are so damned uncomfortable! They're tailored by design to look their best when the wearer is at ATTENTION!

( TSA's otoh ) strike me as being perfect for that gal on the go to catch a quick catnap and coming back to 'work' looking every bit as frumpled and unprofessional as when they left? In this 'case', napping in plain sight of the taxpaying public! Try doing 'that' in Marine "dress blues"? Hell, our Air Guard uniforms are uncomfortable when attempting to sit? Oh and Doug's a raaaacist!

2. TexasBarb on November 15th, 2010 2:07 pm

PUT OUR TROOPS IN CHARGE AT AIRPORTS – ENOUGH SAID

3. sizemorew on November 15th, 2010 2:10 pm

And people are shocked that I don't want to fly anywhere. My dad almost choked when I called it the TSA "flashing versus groping" procedure over lunch when he came home on leave this weekend.

4. Marshall_Will on November 15th, 2010 2:34 pm

Remember, a lot of these "hires" are the product of our 'last' economic meltdown, the fall of the dot.com craze. Now I understand, much as when the Texas Rangers first started out, the all-volunteer military etc., in the early going, finding someone willing to dodge bullets for sub-par pay, well you learn you can't be too 'picky'?

That was 2002. Now w/ double digit unemployment, I think virtually ANYONE hired today would be a better replacement! But at it's core, this is the product of our unwillingness to do what Israelis have done for years? I once caught a NatGeo special and the agents ( 'sharp' looking agents btw ) are well indoctrinated in spotting potential problems.

'Why' are you getting on this plane? 'Who' are you going to visit? All the while maintaining 100% EYE CONTACT w/ the individual! They're versed in detecting body language, pupil dialation, the slightest nuance that might indicate deception. In other words, security basics. Not here! We shake down your grandmother w/ equal vigor. Enough!

5. Clu Seatoe on November 15th, 2010 10:17 pm

These are the ones that were rejected by your local DMV. They tried the SSA but it required eye-hand coordination and some thought.

Crymeny, you want me to do three things at once?

****************************

A couple of decades ago we had to stand in line to get our punch card unemployment tickets ‘wait behind the red line on the floor, sir’ the behemoth on two stools used to growl while pulling on her cankle supports, and all the time we’re hoping we could get to the counter before her break time.

I used to have to look into her eyes from across the chest-high counter with pleading in my eyes and shudder at the low rumble of elephant exhale. I could swear I heard that rumble from across the table on my last flight.

It’s OK for libs to subject national citizens to this humiliation but God forbid they be accused of profiling by a foreigner.

Ever notice that profiling is “profiling” and not “allegedly” profiling.

6. Marshall_Will on November 15th, 2010 10:52 pm

"rejected by your local DMV" TOO damn funny!

That's about the 'size' of it. But I think you bring up a good point regarding the 'perception' of all of this? We've talked about giving food stamps via "debit cards" so no one feels in any way "demeaned" but we're perfectly willing to subject America's MOMS to cavity searches?

Somethin' just ain't right here. I flew quite a bit in the days directly after 9/11 ( worked for FleetBoston Bank ) and… at-the-time! ( I didn't mind so much? ) Here we are nearly a decade later and we're still playing games! Suffice to say, I'd rather walk than be subjected to this any more.

7. SignPainterGuy on November 16th, 2010 1:26 am

What was the reasoning for NOT following El Al`s example for security screening, which btw has the best safety / security record IN THE WORLD unless I`m mistaken ! And does NOT include full-body nude scanning / feeling up aunt Ethel or little Susie ? Oh yeah, we can`t PROFILE ! It`s OFFENSIVE !

IDIOTS ! ABSOLUTE IDIOTS !!

8. TSA goes after man who dared defy their ultimate autority! « The Daley Gator on November 16th, 2010 9:52 pm

[...] course,a s we all know, and as Doug Powers points out, we are so obsessed with NOT PROFILING,that accosting toddlers is OK. Jim Hoft points out that the Fourth Amendment has become the latest [...]

9. Pear Harbor Day on December 7th, 2010 12:36 pm