Somebody finally came up with the perfect insert — if you’ll pardon the expression — for tax notices, but a local tax office didn’t think it would be a good fit:

GRANGEVILLE, Idaho — An Idaho treasurer resisted a doctor’s push to include colonoscopy reminders in annual tax notices, fearing some taxpayers would find the notes “ironic.”

Idaho County Treasurer Sharon Cox denied the request from Dr. Andrew Jones in a letter Tuesday.

Cox says she does not find colon cancer humorous, but given many taxpayer opinions of taxes, “recommending a colonoscopy in the same envelope as the tax notice may be considered ironic.”

That’s not ironic — “ironic” would have been to place “this is a stick-up” notes in with the tax collection forms… maybe along with a free sample:

Even though the government declined the colonoscopy announcement, the government did end up offering the doctor a job with the TSA.

Comments

10 Responses to “Proctologist Wants to Place Colonoscopy Announcement in Government Tax Notices, Government Doesn’t Want the Competition”

1. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2010 2:07 pm

As I learned with my toys as a kid and later with tools and cars and stuff as an adult, "If you want to use it again tomorrow, you gotta take care of it today !"
    As many folks view taxation as an "a** reaming", the inclusion of a Proctological / Colonoscopy notice with the tax notice is not ironic at all; it`s just good maintenance !

Come on, somebody had to say it ! I LIVE to serve !

2. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2010 2:40 pm

Idahoans are TOUGH! Super tough. In fact, so much so unless you've had an amputated limb while operating farm equipment..!? Let's just say we don't think much of those doc-types around these here parts?

It's not that it's a 'bad' idea, but where does it end? Why couldn't 'I' lobby Salem, OR to include a "Free Retirement Account Check-Up!" speaking of taxes ( being as how you're in the 50+ crowd? ) I'm pretty touchy when it comes to blurring the lines between private & public sectors. For a reason.

How about when ID's renew their driver's lic. any time it expires after age 50 ( provided said Doc. pays mkt. rate for what is essentially 'advertising' ) Then I'm fine w/ it. I'm not sayin' Oregonians are tougher than Idahoans ( but when I had a vasectomy, I did it MYSELF! ) Top that Boise State Fans.

3. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2010 2:46 pm

You owe me a new keyboard, tough guy !

4. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2010 3:12 pm

True story : A carpenter acquaintance was trimming rafter-ends while perched atop the stud walls, when he "slipped" and cut his thigh ! He pitched the circular saw, climbed down to the ground, packed the gash with red clay mud, ripped the sleeve off his flannel shirt and tied up the wound. He got another saw and climbed back up and continued the job ! Sorry, I never heard whether he used bailing twine or rawhide lace to self-suture when he got home ! That was a joke but he did heal just fine !

Here in NC, my age bracket was slated for shorter DL periods (5yrs down to 4 or even 2) until this fall when it was decided to extend it to 8 yrs for those without health issues or DL points ! Yippee ! I haven`t had a ticket since 1976 and only 2 in my life ! Now to disguise the scales over my eyes !

5. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2010 3:37 pm

"packed the gash with red clay" ( red from Yankee soldier BLOOD no doubt )

Yeah I was watching Greta last night and she had "Debt Commission" mbrs. Alan Simpson and Erksine Bowles and I don't believe she ( nor I ) found their little quips amusing?

Saying, "Look, if you're not talking about Defense, Soc. Sec. or Medicare cuts, you're talking about "pennies" ( or words to that effect? ) Disingenuous Disinformation at it's finest! "I don't think shutting down the North Dakota Lawrence Welk Band is going to save us a lot of money?" quips Alan!

Gee dude, maybe NOT, but the truth is… we're BROKE! If it cost five bucks a year, it's five bucks we ain't got. Besides, other than NPR/PBS "listener supported" mindless drones ( who the hell listens to LW any more? ) There's PLENTY of places and agencies that could use a good trimmin'. Pick one and start. And NO, Poor planning on YOUR part does not constitute an 'emergency' on OUR part" but nice try fellas.

6. sizemorew on November 19th, 2010 3:54 pm

That TSA worker looks far too cheerful doing his job. *shudder*

7. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2010 4:25 pm

"Red from Yankee BLOOD….", either that or `backer spit, not sure which ! Amazing healing powers either way !

Erksome Bowles wants to shut down LW ? Unthinkable ! Is Bobbie still dancing w/ them ? I think LW shows were the first shows recorded around here when VHS players hit the market ! Off w/ their heads – no sacred cows ! $5 is $5 !

"Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part !" is a MUCH used expression around the race circuit and said at the sign shop on Labor Day / Christmas parade morning (often as I`m heading out the door to go watch the parade so I`ll be near to help strip parade floats and cars !) Amazing ! Occasionally, someone will offer enough money, I`ll whip out their signs, warn them about handling care, they`ll show up in the parade w/ smeared fingerprints all over them ! What can I say ?

8. Doug on November 19th, 2010 4:31 pm

Yeah, I know!

9. Marshall_Will on November 19th, 2010 4:38 pm

SPG,

What irked me wasn't the inference that "Well… gov't is running about as lean & mean as it possibly CAN right now so on a cost/benefit analysis there's not much to be gained by nibbling at the edges?"

That's not it at all! The inference ( or so it seemed to me? ) was that; "We're so f_@cking out of control, in an unrecoverable TAILSPIN, nothing shy of field-hospital amputations will save us 'now'..!?!" Hey, that may be true. Probably is, but it doesn't change the fact we have bloated ( and frequently -totally- unnecessary agencies ) and nothing, I mean NOTHING should be off the table right now!

Save the cutesy cr@p for ribbon-cuttin' ceremonies guys.

10. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2010 4:57 pm

It drives me nuts when local govs. (for example) will absolutely predictably announce having to cut police and first responder budgets FIRST, all the while ignoring the "obvious to us citizens" bloated work crews out holding up shovels or sleeping in city owned vehicles 3 hrs before quitting time ! Or the asst. to the asst. to the asst. positions ! The list goes on and on ……..