You may have heard that President Obama announced a wage freeze for all civilian federal employees for two years.

I’m not going to complain, because it’s a start — a very small start — but it’s a drop in the bucket. Actually, it’s a drop in Lake Michigan. Plus I want to see the fine print, because you know public unions aren’t just going to remain silent — and if they do, you’ll know there’s a good reason.

Philip Klein at the American Spectator has more on the impact:

Earlier this morning, I noted that President Obama’s proposal to freeze the pay of federal employees (excluding the military) for two years wouldn’t have much impact on the debt. Now we have more specifics. In his press conference, Obama claimed that the move would save the government $28 billion over five years. Taking that number at face value, that would represent a sixth-tenths of one percent reduction in the projected $4.52 trillion deficit over that same period (2011 through 2015). It would be the equivelent of a person who expects to rack up $10,000 of of credit card debt over the next five years touting the fact that he’s found a way to reduce his expenses by $60 over that time period. In football terms, it would be like a kickoff return that gains about a half of a yard.

AmSpec has a chart showing the overall impact:

I’ve had bigger slivers in my finger.

The problem is that the government is way too big, and that problem won’t be solved by merely denying salary increases to a government that operates at several times the size and at a tenth of the level efficiency is needs to.

Do any potential candidates have the guts to actually do what needs to be done? Governor Christie? Sarah Palin? Hillary Clinton? (just making sure you’re paying attention).

Comments

14 Responses to “About the Impact of Obama’s Federal Wage Freeze”

1. Robert on November 29th, 2010 7:31 pm

I really don't care about all of the rhetoric coming out of Washington by whoever chooses to open one's mouth at any given time until they get serious about "deficit reduction" and solid results.

2. SignPainterGuy on November 29th, 2010 8:25 pm

I`m with you Doug, I`ve had bigger motes in my eye !

In the early `70s, I worked for a large-machinery mfg. plant. After about 6 months, I had the best error free record in the buiding, had learned all but one job in that bldg. and was working on it when my supervisor came in, bragged loudly about me (known as "blowing sunshine up my skirt") and awarded me with a whopping 10 cent raise ! Gee, how UNDER-whelming !!

3. OK_Loyalist on November 29th, 2010 9:57 pm

I happen to catch Rush today discussing this when a Gov't employee calls in.

Pay attention to Brandon in Michigan about 1/2 to 2/3 the way down the page. "CALLER: Right. You have mandatory increases for inflation every year. That's all they're freezing. We still get our grade increases every year which means my salary will jump up an extra ten, 12 grand a year."

Once again, Prez YoMama pisses on the feet of the American public and tells them it's raining!

4. Mike S. on November 29th, 2010 10:15 pm

Marshall,

Indeed, it is refreshing. And btw, the first line of my previous post wasn't directed at you, it was just a general thought. Also, I fear that there will be some back-loaded raises for the civilian gov't. workers whose pay is (supposedly) about to be frozen that will more than make up for this two year freeze. One more thought: since this is nothing more than sheer tokenism, I'd like to see the all of the money that will supposedly be saved over the next 5 years go to increasing the pay of all active duty military personnel and active reservists. They deserve the money, if anyone does.

5. SignPainterGuy on November 29th, 2010 10:25 pm

Thanks OK_L, I get Rush and Glenn Beck on am radio and was driving in an area of lots of rf interference and missed the "still get the increases" part !

Your final analogy is spot on ! Insulting beyond words !

6. Marshall_Will on November 29th, 2010 10:48 pm

Mike S,

Oh and I didn't take it that way in the slightest! But you bring up an interesting point. Can there BE any doubt all this will be done w/ a wink and a nod that Obie will grease their palms ( on the down low ) after the Fuzz splits?

Insofar as the Active Duty guys, no doubt. But I'm in the Reserves ( and highly unlikely to get called up, training squadron ) so "I" am willing to take a pay cut even if it is "just a drop in the bucket".

Let's be honest here, Fed emp's KNOW they got a good thing going! They KNOW people or have relatives in the private sector ( and what they're hearing frankly scares the HELL out of 'em ) Everyone else has had their turn in the barrel. Man UP guys.

7. OK_Loyalist on November 29th, 2010 11:51 pm

It was just kind of ironic, was the only 15 minutes I caught.

I'm so sick of this empty suit BoZo! Is it 2012 yet ?

8. D J on November 30th, 2010 2:04 am

Hmm… two years worth of pay raises, that might be around 4%. (2% per year).
    Recently we learned that the average federal employee makes twice as much as a private employee.
    If someone was serious about saving money they would suggest cutting federal employee compensations in half, to make it even with private employees (seems fair – the federal employees are probably less qualified, and definitely less productive).
    So, if 4% is 28 billions then 50% would be 350 billions. Now that's some serious saving, especially since it will be saved every year.

To be nice you could even put a lower limit in there. Something like "all federal employee compensation should be lowered by 50%, with 25K as the lowest possible compensation". It would probably still save a quarter of a trillion per year, or 1.25 trillion dollars through 2015.

Just a suggestion…

9. Mike S. on November 30th, 2010 3:08 am

I owe you an apology. I didn't see you had your last name listed first on your user name. Sorry, Will…and I agree with your points. These fed guys should be worried. Let them experience some of what we private-sector guys feel every day. And I say this from the viewpoint of someone in a field that is always on the chopping block when the libs are in power: the defense industry.

10. OK_Loyalist on November 30th, 2010 3:32 am

People People … this is just smoke and mirror BS !!!

Just like the Repubs with the earmarks …

Instead of David slewing Goliath, the Feel Goods want to pop pimples on his ass !

Cut all Federal spending 50% prior to GW taking office!

11. OK_Loyalist on November 30th, 2010 4:00 am

For all the non-OKIES and them OKIES not paying attention :D

It's an mp3 from senate.gov

12. Clu Seatoe on November 30th, 2010 4:33 am

Jeez, man!

My first day at my new TSA job searching junk piles for stuff and I hear about this.

I was looking forward to starting down my chosen career path and shooting up to the top of the heap, and even though they said I didn’t need it, but if I did get it, it would show them how dedicated I could be, I went back and got my GED.

I knew it. I knew it. I just knew it. I even sold off my shopping cart, my 35 gallon plastic bags, and my cardboard sign with my favorite Sharpie. I’ve completely lost my entrepreneurial spirit, and my spot at the intersection.

Hope and Change. Now there’s a heap ‘o junk I won't be searching again.

13. Marshall_Will on November 30th, 2010 12:46 pm

Clu Seatoe,

Neat & Complete. Back in the late 80's when I was getting off active duty, the employment situation was similar. Seemed like everyone you knew had "carpet bombed" w/ multiple gov. job applications even if they had little/zero qualifications/interest in what they were applying for?

Throw enough spaghetti against the wall and 'some' of it is bound to start sticking! The Gov. Emp's ( read The Left ) would have us believe they are "uniquely qualified" and "it's not THEIR fault you guys drove the private sector into the ground!"

Again, it's all academic and completely inconsequential. As Loyalist notes "Cut all Federal spending 50%" ( and then we can have that adult discussion! ) The good news is that they are now Turning.On.Each.OTHER, claiming this that or the other agency/dept. is "non-essential". We'll see what comes out in the wash today?

14. sizemorew on November 30th, 2010 1:14 pm

How sure are we that this isn't some of Dear Leader's magic math that came up with the idea that Obamacare (which, according to that magic math, was going to save us money but instead is going to put us all in the poor house)? Because I'll bet you that it doesn't save nearly as much as he claims.