If you needed any more evidence that Obama has taken over the health care system, here you go:

Narcissistic personality disorder, characterized by an inflated sense of self-importance and the need for constant attention, has been eliminated from the upcoming manual of mental disorders, which psychiatrists use to diagnose mental illness.

As Charles Zanor reports in today’s Science Times, the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders — due out in 2013 and known as D.S.M.-5 — has eliminated five of the 10 personality disorders that are listed in the current edition. The best known of these is narcissistic personality disorder.

What do you think about this news, Mr. President? Mr. President?

(h/t Instapundit)

Comments

14 Responses to “Narcissism No Longer Diagnosed as a Mental Disorder”

1. ReaganiteGOPer on December 1st, 2010 12:04 pm

Hey that's great, now they can finally stop bad mouthing Pol Pot- he was just misunderstood, apparently

2. zillaoftheresistance on December 1st, 2010 12:52 pm

I think the folks who put together the DSM were pressured by Hollyweird & DC into doing this or are probably narcissists themselves.

3. sizemorew on December 1st, 2010 1:39 pm

Well, darn it. I guess that means I can't say that Obama's got mental issues anymore.

Off-topic, but did you see this article on The Blaze, Doug? I figured you'd have something to say on it.

4. Doug on December 1st, 2010 1:46 pm

Oh geez, I think Michelle Obama has found her "Let's Move!" poster girls.

5. sizemorew on December 1st, 2010 1:57 pm

Apparently.

I would've hated to be among the security people who had to search them for all those goods.

6. clu seatoe on December 1st, 2010 2:02 pm

All the publishers have to do is keep saying it until this generation passes and the next comes of age. Then it will be wholly accepted. Just like the lie that homosexuality is an acceptable perversion.

7. SignPainterGuy on December 1st, 2010 3:11 pm

The TSA folks have already expressed dread at having to search the "fat and smellies" ! There will be no repreave !

8. SignPainterGuy on December 1st, 2010 3:16 pm

Right you are ! It has been the MO of the left since the `60s at least !

9. sizemorew on December 1st, 2010 3:20 pm

I feel no sympathy for the TSA folks. The security guys at that store had a just cause for a search of those two shoplifters, so I can sympathize with their discomfort.

10. SignPainterGuy on December 1st, 2010 3:33 pm

Ditto !

11. OK_Loyalist on December 1st, 2010 3:40 pm

Mirror Mirror on the wall … who's the biggest Marxist of them all !!!

12. SignPainterGuy on December 1st, 2010 3:44 pm

At first blush, I thought this must have been done to stop us from commenting on The One`s "issues" of self importance, but after reading the linked article, Zero may not appreciate being ignored and may fall into the Marianas Trench of depression ! He`d better be careful that he doesn`t add to the evidence of incompitence !

13. Marshall_Will on December 1st, 2010 4:12 pm

"acceptable perversion" LOL!

Had to read it a few times, talk about an oxymoron!? Kidding aside, I'll have to agree w/ 'some' of their findings. Narcissism can and normally 'is' a natural phase virutally ALL of us go through. Female batted eyelashes and hair touching stir welling senses within young males they're not quite sure how to 'express'? ( Maybe I really 'am' a rockstar? )

Difference IS: ( most of us outgrow it! ) Nothing like the cold reality slap of last minute scrambling for a prom date and a half-dozen "sure things" turned "you've GOT to be kidding me!?" to clear that up like a bad case of acne?

Welcome to The Real World son. Where real women say 'No' ( and say 'No' a lot ) Good to have you aboard.

14. Joe Redfield on December 1st, 2010 9:29 pm

It's the "…no longer…" part that bothers me; if 'narcissistic personality disorder' was ever a classifiable mental disorder, how did so many Members of Congress manage to slip through the net?