I’m guessing that most of these “jobs lost” they’re referring to if unemployment benefits aren’t again extended will be people who work at the unemployment office:

The White House on Thursday warned that the country could pay a heavy price for not extending federal unemployment insurance.

Failing to extend the jobless benefits could cost the country about 600,000 jobs by the end of 2011, according to a report from the White House Council of Economic Advisers (CEA), and depress economic growth by 0.6 percent.

The CEA’s report says that previous extensions of unemployment insurance provided a significant boost to the economy. Employment as of September was about 800,000 higher than it would have been without the extensions, the report said, while economic growth was 0.8 percent higher.

In one breath they tell us that jobless benefits are good for the economy but in the next they want us to worry about the negative economic impact of more people being jobless, which would lead to them getting the jobless benefits that boost the economy? Paradox overdose!

At what point does this “jobless benefits boost the economy” philosophy become stupid? Pretty much immediately. With this kind of thinking, the economy will only be healthy and functioning at 100% efficiency if everybody is on unemployment.

There’s no more of a lethal mix than politicians who are shady, disingenuous and dangerously incompetent.

Comments

14 Responses to “White House: Extend Unemployment Benefits or 600,000 May Lose Their Jobs (huh?)”

1. Marshall_Will on December 2nd, 2010 7:16 pm

"100% efficiency"!

The Boston Herald article MM links today noted, "The first was a 52-year-old civil engineer out of work since April 2007". Dude, given all that's transpired, that may as well have been in a different lifetime!

Keep in mind this pre-dates the Credit Crunch ( MAY 2007! ) and the stk mkt had positive returns for the year. ( Our engineer friend was hoping benefits could be extended thru Spring or at the very least the holidays ) Sure, why not. It's not like we're broke or nothin'?

Guys, at 52 y.o also, and I'm basically "starting over". It sucks, sure but that's life. Really, I'm ok w/ it! Actually I could have described the last 2 yrs. as being "Self-Unemployed"? This happens in my business ANYWAY! Wanna' know something? The only day that 'counts' is the actual DAY you go to retire! The rest of it is just the ups & downs along the way…. No guarantees, no regrets.

2. OK_Loyalist on December 2nd, 2010 7:40 pm

I'm sure these socialist parasites do not intend to use the Porkulus unused cash again. There is no end to these bastards!

3. Nanny on December 2nd, 2010 9:29 pm

My husband lost his job three weeks ago and instead of whining and crying we joined forces with another employee who lost his job and opened our own business. In Michigan no less!!! Life is what you make of it and we will never depend on government to provide for us. Not very appealing nor is it productive. And we are hiring two additional people come January 1st. By the way, I am 55 and my husband is 57 so never let it be said that age is a factor. It is the work ethic and drive to suceed that makes one take a big step like this at our age but we believe in ourselves and what we have to offer.

Sitting on your ass all day looking thru help wanted ads is not going to get you very far. You have to want to work.

4. Cold Fury » Demonomics 101 on December 2nd, 2010 9:35 pm

[...] Doug Powers explains it to you silly Wingnutzzz!!!™ In one breath they tell us that jobless benefits are good for the [...]

5. SignPainterGuy on December 2nd, 2010 9:43 pm

Good on ya` Nanny and Hubby and friends – I wish you great luck ! I too am 57 and as M_W called it, currently "self-unimployed" until things improve !

The illogic of this administration and congress is beyond understanding !

6. OK_Loyalist on December 2nd, 2010 9:45 pm

Congrats on the business opening. I love this story. Taking a negative and making the results a positive. May the blessings keep coming your way!

7. Marshall_Will on December 2nd, 2010 9:49 pm

Nanny!

Your post doesn't even allow us time to say "I'm sorry to hear that"! In my biz, one bad stock pick can leave you starting all over from scratch. It's a constant state of rebuilding. Clients die, get divorced, have a niece that just grad. college and they want to transfer the account over to her at… Merrill Lynch or whatever?

You're absolutely right. One of the things I've long argued is anyone that's been laid off should have the option to take their UE benefits Lump SUM if they so desire! That way they can pay off some debts, go back to college or ( as in your case ) start a business! But making ppl stand in line, fill out forms… FILE every damn week like a bunch of middle schoolers always left me feeling… nanny'd?

Please, without divulging anything proprietary, tell us more about this biz!

8. Marshall_Will on December 2nd, 2010 10:40 pm

SPG,

Going into this "man-caused disaster".., the wife and I had IRA's in the nabe of $300k, sold our house in 2004 and rented! ( pocketed Tax Free Capital Gains ) and stockpiled the cash, had very little debt, bracing for the worst. In short, we did everything -imaginable- to prepare for the coming Shock.

Now I'm not sayin' things would have been any less impactful under McCain, but what I 'am' saying is his response and the resultant fallout wouldn't have been near….ly as 'stupidly'.

Be that as it may, like Nanny and millions of other Americans, Mrs. Will and I have had no choice but to view it as a "bold new 'adventure' ". Oh and did I hear MM say "e'f that !" on Fox this am? They were discussing the BTC's and she said Fah… Tha… just sort of letting the words 'hang'. Then quickly added "Fah being 'Fiscal"! Rather clever I thought?

9. Doug on December 2nd, 2010 11:38 pm

Way to go! Hopefully you can grow and create many more jobs in a state that needs them.

Things are tough for many people and I have no problem with stopgap assistance, but almost two years of unemployment benefits, and talking about more? At what point does that become "welfare"?

10. White House: Extend Unemployment Benefits or 600000 May Lose Their … | The Daily Conservative on December 3rd, 2010 1:26 am

[...] is the original post: White House: Extend Unemployment Benefits or 600000 May Lose Their … Share and [...]

11. nannykins on December 3rd, 2010 11:34 am

My husband has been in the auto glass business for the last 17 years and his former employer was bought out and they started dismanteling the mid-west stores. When the new owners took over they wanted anyone over age 50 to sign a non-compete agreement (can I say age discrimination) and hubby refused to sign it so they terminated him. In the meantime we saw the writing on the wall and prepared for it ahead of time. Our store will be open for business this coming Monday! Along with another employee we took a chunk of our retirement money and are taking the plunge into owning our own business. In fact we have a quite a few jobs lined up already.

12. sizemorew on December 3rd, 2010 2:22 pm

I had to live on unemployment for six months. After sitting on that side of the fence while going to every job interview I could, I can say it's definitely welfare.

13. Michelle Malkin » Jobless Rate Jumps (altogether now) ‘Unexpectedly’ on December 3rd, 2010 2:25 pm

[...] “unexpected”), more people on unemployment means fewer people will lose their jobs (huh?), so what’s the [...]

14. Jobless Rate Jumps (altogether now) ‘Unexpectedly’ | Conservatives for America on December 3rd, 2010 2:31 pm