Sixty-nine years ago today, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. 2,402 US personnel were killed — 1,177 of them were sailors on the USS Arizona.

Google seems to have forgotten, but we haven’t. Sadly there are people whose only knowledge of Pearl Harbor comes from the 2001 Jerry Bruckheimer film, which means an entire generation has been led to believe that the Japanese only bombed Pearl Harbor to prevent Kate Beckinsale from having a threesome with Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett.

Here’s President Roosevelt’s Pearl Harbor address that day to a joint session of Congress on December 8, 1941:

Update: Pearl Harbor honored at Bing and Google.

Comments

28 Responses to “Pearl Harbor Day Remembered”

1. danic on December 7th, 2010 12:12 pm

Bing.com didn't forget.

2. Pear Harbor Day on December 7th, 2010 12:32 pm

USA did a coward act by throwing Nuclear when they could not bear the pearl harbor attack.

3. zillaoftheresistance on December 7th, 2010 12:49 pm

Anti-American troll.

4. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2010 12:49 pm

Thank you ! Bing is my default search engine for this very reason !

5. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2010 12:51 pm

Going nuclear on the Japanese to end the war saved hundreds of thousands of lives on both sides ! Even the Japanese agree !

6. zillaoftheresistance on December 7th, 2010 12:53 pm

Google stinks! Bunch of leftist goons, they even manipulate search results to try to steer people away from negative stories about their commie pinko cohorts or positive stories about GOOD Americans. They also alter search results to favor islamic supremacists & anti-Semites.

7. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2010 1:04 pm

Zilla,

The pre-order of Purple Heart Medals anticipated for the attack on Japan Mainland was only 'recently' exhausted. That included Korea and Viet Nam.

But hey! It's a Great Day all around! We finally… have resolve on the Tax 'Cuts', O-hole Asswand is learning all about body cavity searches and Zilcho's inability to negotiate OR address our broader economic issues laid bare.

We Honor The Fallen. ( And there's no WAY I'm going to allow (1) stinking little TROLL befoul THAT! )

8. teguh on December 7th, 2010 1:06 pm

I came for a while just 10 minutes, just read your post;)

9. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2010 1:10 pm

"manipulate search results"

I've long suspected that ( you just can't -kill- that damned "Auto-Complete"! ) and that's why I've joined SPG over at Bing. But I didn't realize they were anti-Semite to boot?

Not that I doubt you, but can you provide examples? If true, we will force them to drop their "First ( don't be evil )" motto.

10. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2010 1:17 pm

Agreed !!

I was just puckering up to relate that Purple Heart "pre-order" story ! I wasn`t aware that the supply had finally been exhausted, thanks !

11. Clu Seatoe on December 7th, 2010 1:17 pm

Yeah, the country is much safer with someone in charge like the marionette that’s incapable of speech without being fed the words by others through TOTUS.

And look what his latest bout with decision making (other than where to go on vacation) has done to the Maoist Dem party. I mean it’s good for conservatives, but that’s not the point, the Dems are seething in disarray.

12. sizemorew on December 7th, 2010 1:32 pm

Beat me to it! It's why I use Bing as my default search engine as well.

13. Ohiomom on December 7th, 2010 1:45 pm

Farewell Google, and Hello Bing. I shall encourage all my contacts to make Bing their default engine too. Thank you Bing for honoring our fallen on that horrific day.

14. imran on December 7th, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi – very good web site you have established. I enjoyed reading this posting.

15. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2010 2:10 pm

"marionette"

Hey! ( I like marionettes! ) Anyone remember Thunderbirds Are GO?

"seething in disarray"

Correct, MM has the skinny on how much the 'bill' is for small employers getting hung out to dry making good on said marionette's promises! By one MD poster's account, his UE Ins. premiums have gone up 1,100%.

"Bottom line: Tax relief = temporary. Jobless benefits = interminable" ( Deal with the devil )

16. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2010 2:13 pm

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH, ALL HERE WHO HAVE AND ARE SERVING !

My raised coffee mug to you all ! Cheers mates !

17. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2010 2:26 pm

"Anyone remember Thunderbirds Are GO ?" I don`t, but there was a 5 member Mexican band outside WallyWorld a while back, incl. a very pretty senorita ! Does that count ?

MM`s post describes the height of hypocracy – the very groups that pushed the hardest for passage of Obamascare are the first to get waivers and the groups promised to benefit most from the bill are slammed with the high costs; which were supposed to be actual savings !?

Get in bed with the devil, get up with burns !

18. zillaoftheresistance on December 7th, 2010 2:26 pm

There've been many flaps over the years about this, the last one was the auto-complete feature when you type the word "Jews" intoi the box it would add nasty things like "are evil" and such, type "islam" and you'd get "is great" or some similar sycophancy. A quick search got me these links, its been happening for years:
    from 2004

WND was on it in 2008, searches for "yiddish" suggested death camps and parts of Israel were labeled "stolen Palestinian land" by google maps:

2007- google honors anti-Israel writer on Rosh Hashanah: http://www.nysun.com/national/google-criticized-f

Michelle Malkin from 2005:

btw this year Google also forgot D-Day: http://michellemalkin.com/2010/06/06/its-june-6th

More recent things have happened but (big surprise) I'm having a hard time finding it in search results. I know I posted it to that page I run at facebook sometime in the past few months when the story broke so it might be in my archives (which are a pain the the butt to access).

19. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2010 2:32 pm

WELL DONE, Zilla !! Ask and ye shall receive !

20. Marshall_Will on December 7th, 2010 3:43 pm

Zilla,

+1 and many thanks. Right "( big surprise )".

Here's where I'm even -more- torn on the entire issue! Or… why aren't search 'engines' more like the Dewey Decimal System?!?

Melvil Dewey ( father of the Dewey Decimal System we ALL had to learn! ) had never let me down all my years in school! Never. Any time you challenged where a ref. book 'should' be, turns out you were WRONG! Also turns out, simple statement of fact, Dewey was a KNOWN Anti-Semite!

Further, even though on a personal level ( the guy was a total d!ckhead ) does that mean we should throw the baby out w/ the bath water? It was a good, no GREAT system. In order for Dewey to have prominently displayed anti-Jewish pub's, it would have compromised the very ORDER he stood for! ( Did I just distill my 'own' feeble argument down to The Lesser of Two Evil Anti-Semites? ) How much have things really changed?

21. nannykins on December 7th, 2010 5:33 pm

What is so sad about this is that we are losing all of our WWII veterans at such a rapid rate and when they are gone so will too the commemoration of this event. The MSM will not/refuses to cover such events to any extent because it stirs patriotism. And God knows how much the liberal/socialist/Marxist MSM hates anyone who loves the USA.

22. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2010 6:42 pm

I just heard on radio news a few minutes ago, there are about 3,000 survivors left, (I`m not sure if that is WWII or Pearl Harbor – static on am radio) who recently voted NOT to disband their organization ! Good for them !

You`re right, It will take patriots to keep Patriotism and Memorials alive !

23. Mike S. on December 7th, 2010 6:59 pm

As an aside, every June 6th I watch "The Longest Day", and every December 7th, I watch "Tora! Tora! Tora!", not that piece of Disney-ized crap "Pearl Harbor".

24. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2010 8:06 pm

Both good choices and your right about the 3rd, I`ve never allowed myself to watch it ! Tora, Tora, Tora was the last movie my Dad and I saw together in a theater !

Thanks Mike for your service ! My Dad was also a Navy man, South Sea Islands, WWII – if everyone`s military experience could be like his, one adventure after another, there`d never be a recruitment problem !

25. Mike S. on December 7th, 2010 9:17 pm

Thanks SPG

I'm the only Navy guy in my family ('74 to '86). My father and uncle were both retired Air Force (Korea and Vietnam), my sister was Air Force, and my brother was Army. Between the five of us, we served for a total of 61 years.

26. December 7 1941 Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 2010 9:57 pm

December 7 1941 Pearl Harbor…

The United States was at peace with that Nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its Government and its Emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific. Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had c…

27. Nanny on December 7th, 2010 10:00 pm

Both great movies and worthy of the commemoration but wait for another 10 years – those movies will not be aired because Hollyweird will find them too pro-America.

My in-laws made the trip to Hawaii back in the 80's and they still talk about it today. Father-in-law is a now 86 yr. old WWII vet and he broke down when visiting the memorials in Pearl Harbor. Mom said it was the first time she ever saw him cry – uncontrollably.

28. SignPainterGuy on December 7th, 2010 10:57 pm

It`s fascinating about these guys, they seem to be tight-lipped or geysers, very little in between !

Two of Mom`s brothers were Army Sergents in WWII Europe. Both had their patrols shot out from under them, one of them twice (he had 2 PHs)…..other family told me, my uncles never talked about it !
    During estate split and settlement, I found a ton of medals and awards !

Amazing individuals all !