Last night over at Michelle’s place I wrote about how President Obama met with Bill Clinton to discuss Clinton’s support for the deal Obama made with Republicans that included continuing all Bush tax cuts at all levels.

Go here to read more about that generally odd scene that was an ill-advised move for Obama to call apparently on his own (in the NFL there’s a reason rookie quarterbacks don’t call their own plays — same goes for politics… usually).

President Clinton, who looked to be actively re-claiming that title, spoke of his support for Obama’s compromise.

Here’s what Clinton had to say about the “Bush tax cuts” at the 2004 Democratic Convention:

At home, the president and the Republican Congress have made equally fateful choices, which they also deeply believe in.

For the first time when America was in a war footing in our whole history, they gave two huge tax cuts, nearly half of which went to the top 1 percent of us.

Now, I’m in that group for the first time in my life.

And you might remember that when I was in office, on occasion, the Republicans were kind of mean to me.

But as soon as I got out and made money, I became part of the most important group in the world to them. It was amazing. I never thought I’d be so well cared for by the president and the Republicans in Congress. I almost sent them a thank you note for my tax cuts until I realized that the rest of you were paying the bill for it. And then I thought better of it.

There was a lot more tax-cut bashing from Clinton back then, but you get the point. At the presser yesterday he succeeded in pulling off his support for the Obama compromise and avoid any mention of his past stance on this issue. They don’t call him “Slick” for nothing.

Comments

8 Responses to “Bill Clinton Was Against the Bush Tax Cuts Before He Was For Them”

1. SignPainterGuy on December 11th, 2010 2:03 pm

Aaahh, shades of the over-estimable John Kerry (who BTW served in Vietnam)….
    the flip-flopper for all occasions ! Nice to see that our post-presidential triangulator-in-chief remains consistant and can rise (?) to the occasion !

My local fishwrap ran the story of Bubba`s substitute duties and included the same photo of our incompitant-in-chief looking on in admiration…..but for some strange reason, made no mention of Obumble`s exit ! Hmmmm, could the left also see that move as less than presidential ?

2. Joe Redfield on December 11th, 2010 3:15 pm

Clinton supports continuing Bush tax cuts…Oceania has always been at war with East Asia…

3. OK_Loyalist on December 11th, 2010 3:40 pm

If you notice, Bill didn't go ahead and keep paying the tax rates of his era. None of these malcontents did !

4. Clu Seatoe on December 11th, 2010 5:19 pm

Part I

The human psyche is a very complex thing. It’s said that the best police detectives would have made the best criminals and vice versa if their attributes were channeled otherwise. There are those who, for one reason or another, seem to have come into this world devoid of a moral compass and/or a conscience and, to varying degrees, they don’t seem to be bothered by immoral or criminal behavior.

Depending on how their attributes are channeled some may notably end up as mass murderers, some as serial murderers, and some as serial politicians. We know them as the back stabbers, liars incapable of the truth, and the cheaters who seem to know no other way than the “me first” and the “it’s all about me.” We know them as Maoist Dems and admittedly to a lesser degree some RINO and progressive Republicans.

5. Clu Seatoe on December 11th, 2010 5:20 pm

Part II

There are those who get into the arena and find they have those blessings and their compasses go out of kilter or consciences get pricked to many times so they have to pull out. Ones like John Kasich of Ohio, although he’s back in it now, or Fred Thompson of Tenn.

The pols will get to the point where they think that everything that comes out of their mouths is truth and they think that because they believe it themselves their listeners do too. To them it’s not even noticeable that that internal pendulum is swinging from one extreme to the other or to all points of a 360° circle without ever returning to that resting point in the circle’s center.

6. Marshall_Will on December 11th, 2010 5:53 pm

Clu Seatoe,

Mary Matalin once said; "Everywhere you go in Washington.., every 'thing' -everyone- is 'working on' ( is of the UTMOST importance ! )" Patented eyeroll follows.

I think what's she's alluding to is the DC Swamp Creature's narcisstic "sense of purpose". The same mentality prevails in the stock market.. "This stock HAS to go UP because I'm a "smart guy" and I wouldn't have picked this stock as a Winner UNLESS it was going to go up!" ( No matter 'how' many times they crash and burn! )

So w/ the same "board strapped to their ass" our swamp inhabitants believe their own BS and truly, truly believe "this program/subsidy/hand-out MUST be the correct future direction for the country because I…… am working on it!" Hence, any thing they're not 'behind' ( can't possibly be important? )

7. Marshall_Will on December 11th, 2010 5:55 pm

Oh ( with much apologies in advance to Mary, I'm sure I'm pushing the envelope of what can even be considered 'paraphrasing' )

8. SignPainterGuy on December 11th, 2010 7:30 pm

S`alright, M_W, you were just taking a bit of "awwtistic license" !