My “good” laptop crashed yesterday, so I’m working off a different one that isn’t nearly as good, so while I get this sorted out posts might be a little slower in coming (does anybody know the DOS prompt that gets a computer to boot from a CD? I have a backup disk but can’t get a prompt to make the computer recognize it).

In the meantime, I thought I’d offer a suggestion if you’re planning a vacation next year:

Ukraine’s Emergency Ministry says the so-called Chernobyl zone will be opened next year for those who wish to learn more about the nuclear tragedy that occurred 24 years ago.

Chernobyl’s reactor No. 4 exploded on April 26, 1986, spewing radiation over a large swath of northern Europe.

Hundreds of thousands of people were resettled from areas contaminated with radiation fallout, and health problems persist. Officials say the site is now safe for tours.

I wonder what kind of stuff they’ll have for sale at the gift shop — besides a clerk that glows in the dark selling 22-pound apples grown in the reactor garden.

Comments

11 Responses to “Fission Trip: Chernobyl Open to Tourists Next Year”

1. Marshall_Will on December 13th, 2010 4:44 pm

Doug,

Techie neighbor across the hall suggested:

Can we assume it's Windows-based? Give us feedback and we'll braile our way thru this thing! ( I recently gave up the ghost on my old Dell Dimension 4550 ) so we feel your pain!

Be it glow-in-the-dark shop clerks or obscure DOS CMD's, there's 'another' place I'd just as soon not go? One being Ann Coulter's column last week in Townhall on DADT?

She starts out evenly enough and then goes on to include females and the whole thing derails. I know you all saw it. When she openly asks if it will jeopardize the mission/safety etc. when Males bend over backwards to 'save' Females in combat, I wondered if she knew that, our Capt. & Col. ( both Female ) finished the Annual PT w/ much better scores than -many- of the MALES! I guess in short, why would SHE come back to save 'me'? Ann I love ya' but you're just plain WRONG here.

2. Doug on December 13th, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks, I'll check that out! It's an Acer with Windows Vista (which I don't like, by the way).

Right now when I fire it up, it just goes nowhere and says it can't start. Before I was at least managing to get a DOS prompt, but not at this time.

3. SignPainterGuy on December 13th, 2010 5:39 pm

Maybe I`ll take`em up on that trip, I like LARGE apples ! Heh ! And then try my luck drownin` some of those LARGE earthworms Matthew Broderick was finding in the movie "Gaazzirra" !

FISSION !?!? Oh, never mind ! I`m probably a bit old to worry about having any more kids, but I like what hair I have left ! Besides, Miss Glow in the Dark clerk probably wouldn`t appreciate my boyish good looks and southern sense of humor, the gift shop girl in Gloucester, Mass. didn`t ! Bummer !

BTW, Doug, good luck with the `puter problem !

4. Marshall_Will on December 13th, 2010 5:44 pm

Vista passed me right by. I went from XP ( argghhh ) right to Windows 7 which seems to be 'ok' ( so far? ) Are you saying you can't even go to your Start Button and Right Click access to My Computer , Control Panel etc?

Sometimes ( unless you have a ton of stuff on it, I've heard you can wipe the C Drive clean and start over? ) Obviously not your 'first' option but..? I've also heard you can contract a "Rogue Security Program" ( Worm or 'Trojan' ) that will Disable you from being able to call up a Browser etc.

Did you get any bogus "MS Security Alerts" before having issues? Pop-ups you couldn't make go away or X-out of? It's getting BAD out there! Chernobyl looking better all the time.

5. Doug on December 13th, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks! We'll get there… or I'll get it fixed, I'm using the kids computer and it's just NOT as easy — I'm sure the kids aren't thrilled either.

6. Doug on December 13th, 2010 6:04 pm

Nope, I had no warnings other than it was getting clunky and slow for a few hours prior to totally freezing up.

Now I can't even start it in safe mode or in a command prompt line.

What I want to do is load Ubuntu Linux on it. That was loaded on the computer I'm using right now after THAT one had a Windows crash and it's worked fine for over a year. Probably is I can't even get a prompt line to get a data CD to load. Grr.

7. Marshall_Will on December 13th, 2010 6:42 pm

I'll bet they're not. I'm really an "analog guy", now if you were having problems with your "Marshall" AMPLIFIER then I'd be of some assistance! Bought my first Marshall in 1975.

From what you're describing, it doesn't sound like a Virus at all? Still, I'm reluctant to take anything to Best Buy etc. and get a soaking when it could be something simple. Can send/rec. email on it?

8. sizemorew on December 14th, 2010 1:13 pm

Is it weird that I really want to go?

9. SignPainterGuy on December 14th, 2010 1:28 pm

No, you can go fission with me !

10. sizemorew on December 14th, 2010 1:47 pm

Awesome! Giant radioactive worms should be able to catch loads of giant radioactive fish, right?

11. SignPainterGuy on December 14th, 2010 2:15 pm

Night fishing should be great !

Fisherman seeks new wife – must be able to clean and cook fish, must have own boat and motor. Please send picture of boat !