Go, Jim, go!

Republicans will paralyze the Senate floor for 50 hours by forcing clerks to read every single paragraph of the 1,924-page, $1.1 trillion omnibus spending bill.

Senate clerks are expected to read the massive bill in rotating shifts around the clock — taking breaks to drink water and pop throat lozenges — to keep legislative business on track, according to a Democratic leadership aide.

The bill is so long that it took the Government Printing Office two days to print it.
[...]
If Republicans follow through on their threat, legislative business couldn’t resume until late Saturday in order to give the staff enough time to read the bill aloud, according to a Democratic leadership estimate.

Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), the Senate Republican Steering Committee chairman, vowed not to back down.

“If they bring this up, they’re going to read it. It’ll take them a day or two to read it,” DeMint said on Fox News. “Again, we’re trying to run out the clock. They should not be able to pass this kind of legislation in a lame-duck Congress.”

They shouldn’t be able to pass that kind of legislation at all. The GOP has to stall it until the new Congress convenes on January 5th, and Harry Reid has vowed to keep the Senate in session until then. By the way, reading a $1.1 trillion bill in 50 hours is $22 billion worth of reading per hour — pretty impressive!

Obama’s never going to get to Hawaii, is he? Cash-strapped Honolulu ice cream shops were looking forward to an early stimulus, but they’ll have to wait until next year now.

And look who’s a Tea Partier — John McCain. At least he’s walking the talk this time, because McCain has zero earmarks in this bill. If McCain had gone at it with this kind of zeal in his first couple of decades in the Senate, he might be president right now.

You can find out what your share of the $8 billion worth of earmarks are using this calculator.

Footnote: In the name of equal time, I’ve agreed to pass along this rebuttal from Alvin Greene: “Jim DeMint started the recession.”

Update: Who says outraged Americans can’t make a difference?

Democrats controlling the Senate have abandoned a 1,924-page catchall spending measure that’s laced with homestate pet projects known as earmarks and that would have provided another $158 billion for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Nevada Democrat Harry Reid gave up on the nearly $1.3 trillion bill after several Republicans who had been thinking of voting for the bill pulled back their support.

GOP leader Mitch McConnell threw his weight against the bill in recent days, saying it was in his words “unbelievable” that Democrats would try to muscle through in just a few days legislation that usually takes months to debate.

Reid said he would work with McConnell to produce a short-term funding bill to keep the government running into early next year.

I love the smell of cooked pork in the evening.

Comments

25 Responses to “Jim DeMint Tries to Run Out Clock on Dems Attempted Grudge-Banging of America; Update: Harry Reid Pulls the Bill

1. sizemorew on December 16th, 2010 5:07 pm

Let's hope that those clerks know how to read slowly. Go, Jim, go!

Also just checked the pie chart. Apparently, I help pay 18% of the tax burden.

2. Marshall_Will on December 16th, 2010 5:52 pm

Heh… heh… here ya', leh… leh… let me ju.. jus… just ruh… ruh… read a little bit to ya'?

Puh.. puh… Page wuh… wuh… 1:

Yeah, I never got the whole Taibbi Hate F-List ( Grudge-Banging if you prefer? ) until now. If I'm understanding it the way I 'think' I do.., these are ALL some very sick people!

As Stephen Hayes ( The Weekly Standard ) noted this morning on Fox, all of this was -purely- intentional on the part of the Democrats! Good to see Murtha is still porking us from beyond the grave.

3. nannykins on December 16th, 2010 7:15 pm

And to keep the clerk reading it slow they need a sign translator for all of the tone deaf libs that didn't seem to hear us on Nov. 2nd.

4. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2010 7:31 pm

How about stopping the reading until a braille version can be printed for those too blind to see what`s so obvious to thinking people ?!

5. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2010 8:35 pm

Hold the phone – wait a minute – BACK THE TRUCK UP !! I`m confused !

Doug, please `splain to me what happened, or didn`t happen ! I thought someone had already called for the reading of a bill and the clerk was a few hours into it when it was announced that he had backed down and allowed the reading to stop ! Was that a different bill and not this same tax bill ? Or, or, somebody please tell me the aliens didn`t abduct me AGAIN !! I know I saw the headlines that someone had backed down – now I can`t find it anywhere !

Help me out here !!

6. Nanny on December 16th, 2010 8:59 pm

I think Demint backed off the reading of the START treaty bill because some of it is written in Russian – WTF!!!!

7. Doug on December 16th, 2010 9:14 pm

Correct… it was START that the Repubs decided not to read for that reason.

I'm guessing that the Dems will from now on write ALL their bills in foreign languages.

8. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2010 9:17 pm

Ok, that`s a releaf..it was a different bill ! Thanks bunches, but where did the "…Backed Off…" headlines go ? Oh, well, at least I don`t have to dread those nightmares and feelings of being probed ….and Agent Mulder asking those silly questions ! He always shows up when I`m in the middle of something !

9. Marshall_Will on December 16th, 2010 9:21 pm

"for all of the tone deaf libs"

Whitney 'wants' something. Whitney withholds 'everything'. Whitney waits… Whitney whiles away the hours whilst leaving mom & dad… won…dering?

[ In the weantime ] Whitney went and and wandered into something not-so-wonderful! Dad whirled into a worrisome windstorm. ( Mom wailed ) Whitney isn't the wholesome young woman we 'thought' she was?

Whitney wheeled over to the Wayward Women's Crisis Center whining woe is we every step of the way! Why wouldn't you know it!? Wonderful Whitney's wandering ways have become her -parent's- worries!

Whitney wants something.

10. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks Doug ! That`s a good idea and should come as welcome relief to John (who served in Vietnam) Kerry ! Headline at Drudge, Kerry: "Why should we have to read anything ?" (headslap)

11. Marshall_Will on December 16th, 2010 9:52 pm

Who… wants to be the last man to die for his Party's ridiculous Bill..? Who wants to be… ( snore, snore )

Ah ha! Never fear, I've completed my 1st Rosetta Stone lesson in Hebrew and can say cool stuff like 'boy', 'taxi' and 'goat's milk'!

( At least that's what I think it was? ) Is "Total Immersion" anything like 'drowning'?

12. Jesse on December 16th, 2010 10:07 pm

Mr. President, I Suggest The Absence of a Quorum!

13. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2010 10:26 pm

Good on ya laddy ! Immerse away !

Both my nephews did "language camps" during their grade school summers near Brainard, MN – learned French, German and a Russian language (TOTAL IMMERSION) and Spanish in school ! Overacheavers, both ! The older one is contracted to DoD as a computer tech wizard, has to travel a bit and deals w/ a bunch of foreigners up-dating / -grading os in smart phones n such and stuff ! He`s used Rosetta Stone for Japanese and a Chinese dialect and Hebrew will be coming up soon ! Did I mention over-acheaver ? I thought I did well to squeak by two yrs of French in school !

14. OK_Loyalist on December 16th, 2010 10:31 pm

Happy Boston Tea Party Day All !!!

On December 16, 1773, after officials in Boston refused to return three shiploads of taxed tea to Britain, a group of colonists boarded the ships and destroyed the tea by throwing it into Boston Harbor

15. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2010 10:54 pm

Right back at ya ! I saw that this morning and promptly forgot about it diggin` into the other news !

Tea Partiers have been rabble-rousers for a long time, for shame !

16. Marshall_Will on December 16th, 2010 10:56 pm

OK_Loyalist,

Back at ya'! We really should begin marking that w/ more occasion. More fanfare.

Speaking of finding your center, great article by Ed Morrisey on "Where is the Democratic pro-growth message?" on Hot Air. "focusing on redistributive policies and social engineering to impose thier concept of fairness on Americans"

Gosh Ed, ya' think? But it really is a sober assessment of just the corner they've painted themselves into! The reason it caught my eye is that, when was the last time we've heard anything remotely pro-growth out of these people? I mean seriously?

17. OK_Loyalist on December 16th, 2010 11:04 pm

Great News folks…. just heard this on the news. The Senate is dropping the Spending Bill for a temporary trimmed down bill. Praise God !!!!!

18. OK_Loyalist on December 16th, 2010 11:12 pm
  19. Cindy on December 16th, 2010 11:12 pm

Pass the barf bags. Ol' John (Back-Stabber) McPain is up. Shut the heck up and go play cards in Sun City. Every time Sean Hannity (RINO) has him on his show, thus helping him get elected again, I turn the channel.

20. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2010 11:30 pm

In spite of the fact that the courts have ruled repeatedly that the FCC has no authority to regulate the internet (plus the fact that the i-net is doing just fine w/o regs.) the FCC is planning to vote on Internet Neutrality on Dec. 21 while congress is away for the holiday and the courts are closed ! These sneaky bastages have no respect for the constitution or the rule of law !

It`s been an up and down day !

21. OK_Loyalist on December 17th, 2010 12:04 am

"It`s been an up and down day ! "

It sure has. I see House is back at the Tax bill. I pray it fails.

22. SignPainterGuy on December 17th, 2010 12:07 am

It just occured to me, Obama said that not passing this spending bill could end his presidency ! Is it wrong of me to hope he`s right !??

I just touched myself all over and I don`t feel guilty !

23. SignPainterGuy on December 17th, 2010 1:54 am

So do I, my friend, so do I ! And all the rest of their CRAPWEASEL legislation !

24. OK_Loyalist on December 17th, 2010 2:06 am

Watching C-SPAN on the tax bill, Doug you have to look at this. Pelosi, Wiener, Schakowsky and Frwank all chaired by Levin.

I swear Nan was smashed and was writing financial symbols in the air with her finger. Schakowsky pointed out the filthy rich like the Koch family of industry and backer of the Tea Party, the Walton family of Walmart, the family from Campbell's Soup, of course she forgets the Heinz family. Frank thundered in his charming way that it was Bush that got us into this mess.

25. tommy mc donnell on December 17th, 2010 2:13 am

the election is over and its right back to business as usual for congress. with a 13% approval rating they still don't care what the majority of americans want. that includes members of both parties. if this doesn't show the american people that the national committees of both parties put people up for office who care zero about the wishes of the people nothing will. the american worker, both democrat and republican need to oust the people running both parties. they need to be replaced with people who will run candidates that will do what the people want not what the party wants.