Why are Russian immigrants moving toward the GOP and away from the left/libs? Because they’ve seen this movie before and didn’t like the ending:

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Many Russian immigrants to the “red borough” of Staten Island are flocking to the Republican Party, saying that the national Democrats’ “socialistic” policies remind them too much of the top-down oligarchy they fled in their native land.
[...]
The Big Brother approach reminds Fridman too much of what he left behind in the former Soviet Union.

“It’s the same rule like it was there,” said Fridman, who estimates there are around 55,000 Russian immigrants here.

Michael Petrov of the Digital Edge data management firm in Bloomfield, said that he objects to the “micro-managing of the economy” he’s seen from city as well as federal officials.

“Government is affecting small business more and more,” said Petrov, who came to the United States in 1994. “It’s the same as what’s happening in Russia.”

How do you say “Tea Party” in Russian?

(h/t The Blaze)

Comments

12 Responses to “Russian Immigrants Saying Do Svidaniya to the Dems”

1. Marshall_Will on December 27th, 2010 3:17 pm

Most encouraging, thank you Mr. Powers.

This may come in handy. Here in Oregon we have a considerable Russian Community ( mostly Orthodox Jews, religious refugees ) Because of their devout nature, it's difficult for them to hold down a 9 to 5 and they're nearly all self-employed.

While I'm certain those that 'do' vote are conservatives, I believe the vast majority hold that the future is in God's hands. Now, in the end, that's entirely -true- but I'd be curious to get your take on how best to engage them ( appropriately! ) without the appearance of a conflict w/ their beliefs?

You couldn't ASK for nicer neighbors! Always respectful, helpful and concerned. The wine they make is not to be believed. In ways though, they're hopelessly isolated and don't believe in marrying outside of the church. Arranged marriages are very common, often w/ very young girls. Anyone w/ insight, please feel free to share.

2. joetote on December 27th, 2010 3:51 pm

Something I wrote back in August as to a close friend of mine and on this very subject.

"A good friend of mine here in Vegas is from the old Soviet Union. He was lucky to get out years ago and loves his new country dearly. When we talk about this, he always asks the same thing. “Can’t we as a country see what we are doing to ourselves? Can’t we learn from past history? Could it be that we as a country now do not believe in our own principles?

He asks this and states as follows. “I lived the horror in Russia. I’ve seen what Marxist Socialism can do to a people. I have seen it rob the will to succeed and in fact the will to live! When I lived there, the U.S. was the beacon of hope. Now, I fear that the “I wants” of our country have lost track of that.”

He went on to say that the leadership he is witnessing now is every bit as deplorable as where he came from. He sees the beginning of the same lies, the same anti-free speech rhetoric and the same despite for free will now, in this country, as he did then. Funny, isn’t it? A lecture from someone from another country who loves our country more then her native born citizens! In all reality, it’s a harsh indictment on this Anti-American administration and it’s sheer ignorance of our basic principles.

3. Marshall_Will on December 27th, 2010 5:02 pm

joe,

More aggravating 'still' is, my wife was born & raised in the Philippines. It never fails to absolutely -insult- her how many Americans take opportunity here for granted!

How virtually anyone w/ a modicum of chutzpah can improve their station in life with little more than modest but consistent effort. But why 'bother' when you'll never be Steve Jobs or Bill Gates ANY way!?

What democrats 'really' provide to the perma-dissatisfied ( and ever-growing base ) is, the vehicle by which Social Justice will make everything alright that your poor deprived parents couldn't provide you as a birthright! What says "It's not 'your' fault you're mediocre" more than Redistribution?

4. OK_Loyalist on December 27th, 2010 5:15 pm

?????? ???, ????????

5. joetote on December 27th, 2010 5:33 pm

Marshall,

i wish it was that simple, but it's not. Not only do so many people have their hands out or are "owed" in their minds, but we now have two or three generations of younger folks who have been indoctrinated by the education system, not only politically, but also by the very lack of an education they now get. Our young are being taught they are not good enough and have to rely on Big Brother! I know as a fact they are not being taught the basic tenets this great country was founded on. How do we get them to look beyond their sheltered worlld when they can't even read?

6. Marshall_Will on December 27th, 2010 6:00 pm

"when they can't even read" LOL!

'I' trace this back to Clinton and… "The Peace Dividend". Of course we could go back to LBJ's Great Society and even FDR but you're right! Left-leaning minds don't typically go back that far.

So, in modern times, Clinton geared everyone toward the notion that what $'s formerly went into Defense could now be liberally distributed to everything from colleges to midnight basketball! ( Remember 'that' one? )

To a man, virtually -all- of my liberal friends accept this as an irrefutable TRUTH! After all.., it 'is' OUR money, right? That's the basis, the starting point for their 'every' argument! In fact, it's all they need to 'know'.

7. Marshall_Will on December 27th, 2010 6:01 pm

Ahem, I said I was learning Hebrew ( not Russian! )

Translaaaation?

8. OK_Loyalist on December 27th, 2010 6:18 pm

"How do you say “Tea Party” in Russian?"

9. SignPainterGuy on December 28th, 2010 12:31 pm

It seems to me the time is now for word from Moscow ! The Tea Party should recruit some of these Russian imigrants who`ve seen socialism and communism first hand and recognize the path the dems have us on for what it is to speak out and remind the American people of what brought them here and what Americans stand to lose !

10. Mandyagape on December 28th, 2010 7:52 pm

Where in Oregon? Most of the Russians in SE Portland are Christians of conservative groups. I've often wondered why I haven't heard more from them on politics. Some of what you may be seeing as far as isolation is concerned is that they may have encountered the spiritual danger to their kids that can come with integration and are trying to fight it by fighting integration? There is also the learned helpessness of having been sidelines from any government participation due to their religious beliefs in the USSR; they haven't had experience in being part of the solution.

11. Mandyagape on December 28th, 2010 7:55 pm

_________ Tea Society (my Russki yazik is rusty and my dictionary is at home- what's the first word?)

12. OK_Loyalist on December 28th, 2010 11:21 pm