Mr. Obama agreed when Mr. Stephanopoulos asked if he wanted Americans to know that “everybody in the country is going to have to sacrifice something, accept change for the greater good.”
“Everybody is going to have to give. Everybody is going to have to have some skin in the game,” Mr. Obama said during the interview, taped Saturday in Washington.
As usual, the “sacrifice for the greater good” involves the rest of us doing with less so we can pay millions for another extravagant Obama family vacation:
Nobody questions a president’s right or need to take take away from the White House, but an investigation by Hawaii Reporter has turned up some eye-opening information about the costs and other aspects of the Obama get-away.
Just consider these estimates on part of the costs of the latest Obama Hawaii trip:
* Mrs. Obamaâ€™s early flight to Hawaii: $63,000 (White House Dossier)
* Obamaâ€™s round trip flight to Hawaii: $1 million (GAO estimates)
* Housing in beachfront homes for Secret Service and Seals in Kailua ($1,200 a day for 14 days): $16,800
* Costs for White House staff staying at Moana Hotel: $134,400 ($400 per day for 24 staff) â€“ excluding meals and other room costs
* Police overtime: $250,000 (2009 costs reported by Honolulu Police Department)
* Ambulance: $10,000 (City Spokesperson)
TOTAL COST: $1,474,200
But that $1.47 million figure leaves out a number of signficant costs that simply could not be calculated by Hawaii Reporter:
* Rental of office building in Kailua on canal
* Security upgrades and additional phone lines.
* Costs for car rentals and fuel for White House staff staying at Moana Hotel (Secret Service imports most of the cars used here to escort the president).
* Surveillance before the president arrives.
* Travel costs for Secret Service and White House staff traveling ahead of the President.
The trip could have been done for less, and just as securely. But doing with less is for us little people.
And I don’t know if the cost includes some documents that the president signed while on vacation — documents that were flown in separately. I’m guessing those papers didn’t sit in coach on a regularly scheduled passenger flight, either.
I wouldn’t mind this much at all if we hadn’t recently gotten a finger-pointing lecture about “sacrifice” and how we’re all going to have to give up a little until the economy rebounds.
In other vacation news, as you can see, Michelle is interested in hearing Barack’s every word as usual:
Update: Dandapani in comments inspires this challenge: Guess what Michelle is listening to.
I’m going to guess that she’s listening to this because the SEIU is going to be paid $100 million to distribute it to every kid who goes to a public school as part of the “Let’s Move” campaign.