I’m thrilled that this is the first time in over 60 years that there are no Kennedys in Washington. Hopefully the family uses their time to learn what it’s like to give away their own money for a change instead of the sort of public-sector philanthropy Ted liked to practice.

Some members of the Kennedy family aren’t so happy about a Camelot-free America though.

From Newsbusters:

On ABC’s World News Saturday, correspondent John Hendren filed a report marking this year as the first time since 1947 that no members of the Kennedy family will hold public office in Washington, D.C. The piece began:

JOHN HENDREN: The sun has set on the Kennedy era. When Congress reconvenes next week, it will be the first time in 64 years that there has not been a Kennedy in office.

KATHLEEN KENNEDY TOWNSEND, DAUGHTER OF ROBERT F. KENNEDY: I think it’s sad. I think that we need a Kennedy.

It’s the “birthright” attitude that I always found annoying.

But the reporter helped give Kathleen some hope:

HENDREN: There are still dozens of young Kennedys who could pick up the torch, so it’s possible this is a gap and not the end of an era.

FORMER SENATOR TED KENNEDY (D-MA): The work begins anew, the hope rises again, and the dream lives on.

HENDREN: John Hendren, ABC News, Capitol Hill.

Look, there’s a Kennedy picking up the torch now! Oh wait, nevermind, that’s just a Flaming Sambuca.

More liberal letdown news: Not to pile on the bad news for Democrats, but the clock is ticking for when the Speaker.Gov website erases Stretch from Speaker cyberspace and puts up Boehner’s new site. Probably around midnight tomorrow night/Wednesday morning.

Comments

17 Responses to “Camelot No More: A Kennedy Laments a Government That Contains No Kennedys”

1. Marshall_Will on January 3rd, 2011 2:05 pm

Wow! Given I was born in 1959, this is a 'first' for me. This will be enough to send some practitioners of "public-sector philanthropy" right over the edge. The only thing more pathetic than having to endure an aging boomer wax poetic about The Beatles is having to hear about what a "positive influence" Camelot has been on America?

More times than not, The 60's, Civil Rights movement, Fab Four ( and various Ken-Clan mbrs. ) are mentioned in the same breath.

2. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2011 2:30 pm

JFK was the only Kennedy I could cough up any respect for – he was a war hero, he committed the anti-liberal sin of lowering taxes and exhibitted real patriotism (a hanging offense now) by standing up to the Russians and Castro……… since then, something really nasty happened at Cape Cahd ! Genetic ? Bottle-bourne ?

Good riddance to Camelot !

3. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2011 2:31 pm

BTW, M_W, Happy New Year and welcome back ! Where ya been ? Missed you on the New Year blog !

4. Joyanna Adams on January 3rd, 2011 2:59 pm

What is Lady Gaga going to do?

5. Marshall_Will on January 3rd, 2011 3:18 pm

Hey thanks and same to you! I was busy making my New Years resolutions. The first one may come as a bit of a shocker:

1) Not Recycling any-damned-more!

I realize that sounds over-the-top ( especially coming from Ecotopia-friendly Oregon ) but I've kind of had it. I'm encouraging all my conservative friends to do the same, here's why. Furthering the Lib. Agenda has hinged almost entirely on fear of being ostracized! Well, in order to show them they no longer have any leverage over me ( I'm "self-ostracizing"! )

Go ahead. Don't like me. You've already run the economy into the ground w/ your social-justice agenda and promised every step of the way if we "gave in on this one little thing?" ( you'd all go away quietly ) Every time we bought into your "but all the cool kids are doing it!" all we got was compromised further. Want me to go BACK to Recycling like a good little conservative? Well then 'I' need something in return. Sorry, you brought it on yourselves.

6. Clu Seatoe on January 3rd, 2011 3:29 pm

I’m very surprised that even all these years later the media still hasn’t made the connection between the death of Joseph Kennedy and the end of the IRA/British conflict — or maybe they have and are just sitting on it. Oh, the IRA is still around but at this point, essentially all they’re doing is squirting the Brits in the eyes with their water pistols.

SPG-
    The only time I’ve heard the term “patriotism” come from Mao’s current residence, it’s been connected with eating your vegetables and paying your taxes. And “standing up to” foreign governments and leaders? Forget about it. The mouse-man runs behind the shield of the "czar" when that comes up for discussion.

7. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2011 3:42 pm

Ooooh, that`s sooooo "over the top" !

As a city resident, I have three recycling options; seperate it as per town regs and place it on the curb w/ other tras and the town will pick it all up – carry it to one of 10 county recycling sub-stations or the county`s central facility (the latter two require somewhat less seperating). The funny thing is, it ALL winds up on the central facility`s floor, dumped all together into a hopper that spits it onto a conveyor belt where "community sevice awardees" hand seperate it again ! Only gov. could think this process is in any way efficient !

BUT, the county gets paid at both ends of the process and still whines that they`re not making enough money ! (???????) Aaaah, fun times !

8. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2011 4:05 pm

I haven`t thought about the Kennedy-IRA/Brit conflict connection in yrs. Possibly the "biting the hand…" scenario ? The "New" media is changing things…

No "patriotism" from this admin. for sure, none-at-all !

9. Marshall_Will on January 3rd, 2011 4:10 pm

"community service awardees" lol

Hey, at least they're doing 'something'? I figure, since conservatives were completely slandered for "holding the country hostage" during the non-debate Bush Tax 'Cuts' debate.., what the hell?

Two truths here, at one time, I was gung ho about it. At our little condo-complex I pretty much took charge, assuming all the libber' than thou residents would eagerly follow my lead! LOL. Yeah, right.

The other truth is that ( I kind of staged my own little protest even before the mids ) Like Joyanna Adams, Nobody knows, Nobody cares and I got tired of being the "recycling fairy". ( Like all drifty libs ) they figure stuff just magically 'appears'.

10. Marshall_Will on January 3rd, 2011 4:14 pm

Oh, so the inference there is that old Joe was 'funding' it? New to me, link? Just curious.

11. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2011 4:32 pm

Actual-factual links ? I`m out`a luck there, but some yrs ago it was "rumored" that Joe was sending arms and money to the IRA……along with all the other corruption practiced by the Kennedy clan thru the yrs ! Rumors ?! Nasty little things !

HELP us Clu !! Doug !! Anyone !!?

12. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2011 4:34 pm

Add a nice lampshade to her wardrobe ?!

13. Clu Seatoe on January 3rd, 2011 6:03 pm

Google "Joe Kennedy and The IRA". Follow the links and you'll find more than you'll have time to read.

14. OK_Loyalist on January 3rd, 2011 10:05 pm

Over the holidays I heard a JFK speech on the economy of his day. If you didn't know his voice, you would of sworn it was someone like Goldwater or Reagan. I think even JFK would spin in his grave if he knew how the Democratic party has been hijacked by the communists, including that murdering sot that was his brother.

15. OK_Loyalist on January 3rd, 2011 11:55 pm

Why is it, you two remind me of … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_7C0QGkiVo

LOL

The story … not Arlo

16. SignPainterGuy on January 4th, 2011 1:03 am

I have wondered how things would be different had JFK been allowed to continue his term(s)…..something to think about…and how would he have reacted to Teddy`s little swim !?

To say the very least, I didn`t think of it as the demonrat party !

17. SignPainterGuy on January 4th, 2011 1:17 am

Well now I`m curious….why?