My eldest son, who is now 15, was diagnosed with autism many years ago, and subsequently my wife and I ran into people who asked about immunizations, etc., because of the Andrew Wakefield “study.”

I’m a skeptical person, and as a result don’t follow panic-driven marching orders very well. When they told us that eating eggs was going to kill us, I kept eating eggs (now they say they’re healthy), and when they said my lawnmower was causing the polar ice caps to melt, I kept mowing my lawn (AGW has been proven to be a BS operation run by hucksters). So, true to my nature, I greeted the Wakefield report in a similar way.

The study of Wakefield’s study has been going on for quite some time, but now the final pieces of his alleged link between autism and MMR shots have been completely discredited and the alleged research found to be fraudulent (sorry Jim & Jenny).

From the Associated Press:

The first study to link a childhood vaccine to autism was based on doctored information about the children involved, according to a new report on the widely discredited research.

The conclusions of the 1998 paper by Andrew Wakefield and colleagues was renounced by 10 of its 13 authors and later retracted by the medical journal Lancet, where it was published. Still, the suggestion the MMR shot was connected to autism spooked parents worldwide and immunization rates for measles, mumps and rubella have never fully recovered.

A new examination found, by comparing the reported diagnoses in the paper to hospital records, that Wakefield and colleagues altered facts about patients in their study.

I was as shocked as you to find out that this bogus “study” was funded by lawyers hoping to make a killing suing the pants off Big Pharma.

Al Gore should hire Wakefield to cook the climatological books for him, because now there’s nowhere to run with this except to blame autism on global warming — as I’m sure the AGW crowd will do very soon (if they’re not already).

Comments

16 Responses to “Autism & Immunizations: More ‘Settled Science’ Goes Down in Flames”

1. SignPainterGuy on January 6th, 2011 4:09 pm

Please know that your son and all your family are in my prayers ! March on with confidence, my friend !

Of course, Gorbal warming is at fault ! Another 1/2" of it fell here last night !

2. Doug on January 6th, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks! He's a freshman in high school and at the top of his class intellectually — he's at senior-level mathematics already — so fortunately he isn't stricken to a life-crippling degree. He was diagnosed on the line between Aspergers and autism, falling just inside the autistic line — but if you met him you'd just think he was a shy kid. We've worked with him a lot and that helps.

Otherwise he's normal, very smart and better at sports than me — which I guess isn't hard to do.

3. Nick on January 6th, 2011 4:48 pm

Doug,

While I certainly wish you the best with the health of your son can more than empathize with the frustration you must have felt over the years as people questioned you about immunizations, I don't think there is any correlation here between this bogus study and the scientific case for or against global warming.

Not everything has implications in the political or ideological world. This is what it is.

Wishing you and your family the best of health.

Nick

4. Tweets that mention Autism & Immunizations: More ‘Settled Science’ Goes Down in Flames : The Powers That Be -- Topsy.com on January 6th, 2011 4:48 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Bruce. Bruce said: RT @ThePowersThatBe: Autism & Immunizations: More ‘Settled Science’ Goes Down in Flames http://tinyurl.com/29cew5l [...]

5. SignPainterGuy on January 6th, 2011 4:51 pm

Good news indeed ! My daughter did EVERYTHING sooner and better than I !

6. SignPainterGuy on January 6th, 2011 4:54 pm

STOP THE PRESSES !!! Nick has a decent side !!! Who knew ?!

7. Doug on January 6th, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks much, Nick…

BTW, I never said the autism thing had anything to do with the case for or against global warming — all I said was that Andrew Wakefield has proven himself fully qualified for a job greasing skids over at Al Gore's bullshit factory.

8. Jimbo on January 6th, 2011 5:39 pm

I think it is important to say that just because the Wakefield study is bogus doesn't mean that all immunizations are completely exempt from harming children neurologically. The MMR is just one among a battery of shots given. So many other aspects of immunizations go unreasearched because of political correctness and other bias. Here's just one example among many: what about human DNA from aborted fetuses in vaccines causing harm? You've not going to hear about that much because of our love affair with abortion.

When considering these questions, our only motive must be the unbiased scientific accuracy directed toward the health and wholeness of every precious child. To find such a motivation these days is rare.

Congratulations on your efforts and the accomplishments of your son! You inspire those who are just new on this road…

9. Doug on January 6th, 2011 5:57 pm

Agreed. Where there's a Wakefield study finding false conclusions against immunizations, there can be an equivalent flawed study drawing false conclusions saying certain immunizations are completely safe.

10. Nick on January 6th, 2011 6:07 pm

For the most part (exceptions being hard core criminals) I think we all have good sides, and we all have a lot more in common than we realize.

For example, Doug and I are both parents, and I am sure he loves his children as much as I do mine. Of that I have no doubt. We can debate and argue politics all day long, but that doesn't make him or me any less human.

11. Marshall_Will on January 6th, 2011 6:21 pm

"stricken to a life-crippling degree" lol ( is that what they call it? )

With any luck Doug, as you grow older, Lord willing he'll take care of 'you'. God bless.

Being a healthy skeptic myself, and setting aside Ms. McCarthy's hubba-hubba for a minute.., I had my doubts as well. Then there's the whole Cost/Benefit Analysis thing: Picking your evil as it were? I don't know anyone that had Polio i.e. I read FDR had it when I was in school. So it's easy for us to mistakenly believe it's just a big empty drill.

Being a Freshman GUY.., isn't all that easy ISTR? I mean the upper-classman have worn out their welcome w/ all the girls their age and are now preying on the gals in YOUR class! I remember, it's tough. I just wish SuperBad came out when I was fresh? It would've helped a lot.

12. SignPainterGuy on January 6th, 2011 6:22 pm

NO DOUBT ! Happy New Year to you and yours !!

13. SignPainterGuy on January 6th, 2011 6:23 pm

When the "wash water" is so dirty, thick and chunky, it`s easy to throw the baby out with it !

14. Marshall_Will on January 6th, 2011 6:54 pm

SPG,

Good point! With as much JS as there is floating around out there.., not sure how to categorize this one? Should it come under "Unbridled Hysteria" or "Challenge Everything!"

I'm leaning now the latter? Good liberals can't just stand by and "do nothing" while shots ( that kids have been lining up for since the 1930's btw? ) go unchallenged!

Given they've taken to task every-single-aspect of your child's school day from the Pledge of Allegiance to the lunch line to Heather Has Two Mommies.., why not rolling up their sleeve and getting a lollipop? Look, I don't have the answers for this stuff. None. And it IS becoming infinitely more common. Very regrettably so. But where's the Control Group? Where's the Base Line? Hello..?

15. nannykins on January 6th, 2011 7:58 pm

God Bless your family Doug. I have family with disabilities and although there are some challanges that seem daunting we go on with our daily lives and know that God will give us the strength to go forward.

16. Soul on January 7th, 2011 10:45 am

It does appear that there is a lot of junk science out there. It seems to come down to who do you believe. I suppose the best that can be done is try to find those that are having success.

Best to your son.