The New Hampshire primary is just over a year away and will be here before you know it. However, the action hasn’t even gotten underway as far as candidates officially positioning themselves, so take this for what it’s worth:

Former Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney holds a commanding lead in New Hampshire in the early stages of the race for the 2012 Republican Presidential nomination, according to a new survey commissioned by NH Journal and conducted by Magellan Strategies. The survey is the first statewide survey of Granite State Republicans and Republican-leaning independents in 2011.

Romney leads former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin by 23 points, with Romney earning 39% and Palin earning 16%. Mike Huckabee (10%), Newt Gingrich (8%), Texas Congressman Ron Paul (7%), former MN Gov. Tim Pawlenty (4%), Rick Santorum (3%) and MS Gov. Haley Barbour (1%) all trail significantly behind. Romney finished second to Sen. John McCain in the 2008 New Hampshire Republican Presidential primary.

None of the candidates in the survey have publicly announced their candidacy for president but all have said they are seriously considering a bid.

Any Romney fans here? I’ve never been able to get over the time he tried to out-Kennedy Ted Kennedy:

Teddy later sued Mitt for copyright infringement.

As for Gingrich, I don’t know if I’ll ever get past this sucker punch:

Huckabee? I’d be too afraid that his running mate would be Michelle Obama.

As it stands now, put me down for Sarah until convinced otherwise.

Update: I’ve heard from a couple of readers about problems with the comments. I’m looking into it but so far can’t find anything out of sorts, even though there obviously is something wrong. I’m guessing there’s a massive slowdown in the comments mechanism and at some point they’ll all show up, but I’m not sure yet. I’m getting the regular email report showing comments being submitted, but they’re not posting to the blog — except for my “test” comment. Strange.

Comments

9 Responses to “Romney Leads First New Hampshire GOP Primary Poll”

1. OK_Loyalist on January 7th, 2011 6:07 pm

May I suggest a bigger hammer … It ate my post

2. Marshall_Will on January 7th, 2011 6:30 pm

Interesting read over at Joyanna Adams breaking down the candidates ( linked lower left! )

We don't agree on everything but both thought Donald Trump would make an interesting choice? ( Who knows how to stage a comeback more than 'this' guy? ) And who 'needs' one more than us?

Joyanna also weighs a potential Malkin run! Again, we agreed and I think all us G.I's would be PROUD to call her Commander In Chief! ( as long as Doug was Chief of Staff? ) But not only is she infinitely more valuable defining the debate unrestrained, it would be better to vett a run after sculpting the country BACK on the rails and 'then' reconsider? ( I'd give anything to be "The Big 4-0" again? )

Joyanna also advocates Sarah… stop talking 'only' to the Tea Party and start talking to ALL of us if she's serious about this! Good read.

3. nannykins on January 7th, 2011 7:50 pm

I will give you the Nancy Pelosi excuse – it's Bush's fault!!!

4. Joyanna Adams on January 7th, 2011 11:33 pm

Okay, Will, where do I send the check? (just kidding…just kidding…)

Doug IS my mentor,..and if it wasn't for him, I would have never started putting my OPINIONS into the cyber-space of "CITIZENS" who are TIRED of being ignored by Washington…which as we all know, may not do any good, but is wonderful therapy!

So thanks to Doug, and to all who come and visit!

As for Mitt…I SWEAR…he looks just like Ken (Barbie's) in this video. I bet he played with dolls….

5. Clu Seatoe on January 8th, 2011 1:49 am

That Romney managed to secure the governorship of the bluest of the fifty states should suffice to dispel from the mind of even the most casual of political observers the very suspicion that there is so much as a modicum of conservatism in his political DNA.

–Jack Kerwick

6. J.A. Topfke on January 8th, 2011 8:14 pm

I agree with the blogger about Romney, Huckabee, Newt.

I like Palin, but I'm voting for Ron Paul. He might be the only candidate smart enough to get us out of this mess.

7. OK_Loyalist on January 8th, 2011 8:36 pm

If repealing ObowmaoCare is our goal, Mitt is not our man!

He belittled Ron Paul in what I considered an ill manner during the '08 debates. Ron Paul wasn't my dog in the hunt and he may be a little bit of an enigma, but thought Mitt could of conducted himself better.

While I like Palin and thought she should of been on the top of the '08 GOP ticket, I think she has now got way too much hanging over her head to be a serious contender. Her political handlers suck IMO. I also think she would be a BAD choice for VP again, she has NO legislative experience. After all, one main duty of the VP is President of the Senate. Sorry.

Typically, governors make better presidents than do legislators. I think Chris Christie may, I repeat, may, be a good choice. Although he may have to be drafted like Goldwater in '64, and he may not be the ideal "conservative" that most of us want, I think he has what it will be necessary to help Obowmao find his place in history as a "really really really bad one term President" knocking the Peanut Farmer out of the honors of a "really bad one term President".

I know one thing for sure, we, the right, need to get moving and getting moving now, for Obowmao hasn’t ever stopped campaigning nor will he until we stomp this Marxist destroyer into the manure pile where belongs.

8. Dandapani on January 9th, 2011 2:19 pm

RINO Romney, Preacher Huck, Nutty Newt: NOT!

9. bee on January 9th, 2011 11:43 pm

Re Palin: one look at these images of her cozying up to Henry Kissinger was enough to convince me she should stay in Alaska and work on her family-in-free fall.

(Besides, Kissinger should have stood trial years ago and now doing hard time, not be vetting candidates.)