Scroll to the bottom of the post for update(s)…

Horrible news from Arizona:

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head by a gunman at a public event in Tucson on Saturday. There are conflicting reports about whether she was killed.

The Pima County, Ariz., sheriff’s office told member station KJZZ the 40-year-old Democrat was killed. At least nine other people, including members of her staff, were injured.

Giffords, who was re-elected to a third term in November, was hosting a “Congress on Your Corner” event at a Safeway in northwest Tucson when a gunman ran up and started shooting, according to Peter Michaels, news director of Arizona Public Media.

The suspect fired indiscriminately from about four feet away, Michaels said. A congressional official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity that the attack was carried out with an automatic weapon.

The suspect ran off and was tackled by a bystander. He was taken into custody. Witnesses described him as in his late teens or early 20s..

Prayers for Rep. Giffords and her family, which includes two children, and of course the other victims and their families.

Early reports said that Giffords and six others were killed, but within a half hour or so those were scaled back a bit — the latest reports say that up to 12 people were severely wounded. The last I read was that Giffords was still alive and in surgery.

Here’s a picture from her swearing in on January 5th:

John Boehner’s statement is here.

A little more information on Giffords from the page about her at Wikipedia:

Gabrielle Giffords (born June 8, 1970) is the U.S. Representative for Arizona’s 8th congressional district. She is a member of the Democratic Party.

She is the only member of the U.S. Congress whose spouse, astronaut Mark E. Kelly, is an active duty member of the U.S. military.

Giffords is known as a strong proponent of solar energy as well as for her work to secure the border with Mexico.

Yes, I’m aware of what the left of center blogs & other media are assuming, even in the absence of any other information. It’s unfortunate that, to a great degree, who will be “blamed” will have little to do with the facts. Hopefully most people will ultimately blame the murderous psycho who pulled the trigger.

Update: Politico:

The police have named a suspect in the shooting of Gabriel Giffords, Jared Loughner. A person under that name has a YouTube account that includes suggestions of anti-government political views.

“You don’t have to accept the federalist laws,” the video above says; It also insists on the gold and silver standard, talks of revolution, and suggests that the government is imposing “mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar.”

His linked MySpace page, no longer available, included statements about the gold standard and about SWAT teams paying for their equipment with illegal currency.

Among his long list of favorite books in his YouTube profile are Mein Kampf, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha.

Loughner also “favorited” just one video on YouTube, which shows the burning of an American flag and is accompanied by an anti-government screed. A sample from that screed:

If there’s no flag in the constitution then the flag in the film is unknown.
There’s no flag in the constitution.
Therefore, the flag in the film is unknown.
Burn every new and old flag that you see.
Burn your flag!

Update II: Giffords condition is looking more “optimistic.” But five are confirmed dead, among them a nine year old child.

Drudge has a lot more links and up to the minute info here.

Update III: Sounds like the guy isn’t as much left or right but rather mentally ill.

It’s also being reported in some circles that he had been in the US military. That’s not true. The Army says he tried to join in 2008 but was turned down. They can’t say why due to confidentiality laws.

Update IV: A girl who went to college with Loughner (who doesn’t exactly appear to be a right-winger herself) wrote a Tweet that’s going to get her pounded by those whose script on this is already written in spite of the facts.

Also… seriously, what kind of responsible officer of the law is this assclown of a Sheriff to be making a statement like this before anybody really knows anything about anything?

“When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous,” the sheriff said. “And unfortunately, Arizona I think has become the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry.”

Wow, he’s finished with the investigation already. That was fast!

Comments

22 Responses to “Terrible Day: US Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, Many Others, Shot in Arizona; Update: Murderer Identified

1. OK_Loyalist on January 8th, 2011 6:55 pm

Prayers to her and her family.

You really said the condemnation of the trigger man well.

Biting my lip on my opinion until we get more news.

2. SignPainterGuy on January 8th, 2011 7:12 pm

My prayers for a speedy recovery and for her family as well as all the others involved ! I too am biting my lip, withholding comment on the shooter, preferring to pray for him instead !

Thanks Doug !

3. Nanny on January 8th, 2011 7:16 pm

Biting my tongue as well – especially since the news reports are so wild and unconfirmed. Until we get the facts – my thoughts and prayers are with the victims.

4. OK_Loyalist on January 8th, 2011 8:48 pm

"A fan of Marx and Hitler who promoted American flag burning. I’d call that a little more than “anti-government” — he sounds plain anti-American."

As you said in your original condemnation a psycho !

At this time, I'm going to go ahead and say what I was biting my lip on … I smell a leftist!

5. Doug on January 8th, 2011 8:59 pm

OK_L, Giffords voted against Pelosi for Speaker and caught some flak from libs. Judging from this screen-cap from a Kos post that has now been deleted, the left might be wise to bite their tongues, refrain from the usual bogus blame-game and admit the guy is just plain crazy (scroll down a bit in the post):

6. OK_Loyalist on January 8th, 2011 9:17 pm

I agree he's a wacko. That being said, I've never known a conservative to be a fan of Marx or Hilter. For that matter, I've never known a ultra right wing radical to be a fan of Marx. Hence my leftist statement.

7. SignPainterGuy on January 8th, 2011 10:11 pm

Mrs. Giffords was anti-Pelosi and pro-secure southern border……had she also committed the unforgivable sin (to liberals) of being pro-life ?

She sounds "old" democrat to me !

8. Mike S. on January 8th, 2011 11:57 pm

I'll go out on a limb and say this was completely apolitical. This nutbag was just out to kill people, and it didn't matter whether they were D's or R's. And if the Army rejected his attempt to enlist because he was just too whacked out and dangerous to be allowed to carry a rifle, maybe the confidentiality laws need to be tweeked to allow the disclosure of information of this kind to the authorities.

9. SignPainterGuy on January 9th, 2011 12:11 am

Certainly to the proper authorities ! And family as well ! And referred to the health dept.

I know from personal experience, these individuals can be dangerous ! They have rights to privacy but the public must be protected from dangerous wackos !

10. Clu Seatoe on January 9th, 2011 2:42 am

Sheriff: "When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government.”

That's not even a complete or properly constructed sentence and who know what it really means?
    ****

Sheriff: “The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous."

I agree! But I also must say most of it is your fault for not doing your job! Don’t think you get a free pass?

Your part of the desert is one of the most out of control areas in this country with people who have no business in our country freely moving themselves and their contraband in and out at will. Causing all manner of mayhem.

11. Clu Seatoe on January 9th, 2011 2:45 am

Part Two

Sheriff: "And unfortunately, Arizona, I think, has become the capital.”

So that’s what you think? Well, Sheriff, I think that you should think about not making any more political statements.
    ****

Sheriff: “We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry."

12. OK_Loyalist on January 9th, 2011 3:09 am

"No, Sheriff, mecca is the mecca for prejudice and bigotry. I’d like to say that I’m offended by you making such a bigoted remark — but I’m not. "

Very good indeed

13. SignPainterGuy on January 9th, 2011 3:17 am

OK_L, o/t, I signed up w/ Intense Debate Fri. nite. Some part of a previous comment shows in the comment box when I leave and then return to the site, even after backspace erasing. Is there a setting I`m missing or something ?

14. OK_Loyalist on January 9th, 2011 3:50 am

Not that I know of, I get same junk too.

15. SignPainterGuy on January 9th, 2011 4:00 am

The sheriff is no investigator – he should be no more than a Daily Kos or Huff-Po blogger !

16. SignPainterGuy on January 9th, 2011 4:10 am

As I clicked to reply just now, I noticed that it shows the last reply I made to Mike S. When I click to make an independent comment, it shows the last ind. comment – or at least the first paragraph. I checked the web site, nothing obvious there , too strange !

17. Doug on January 9th, 2011 12:05 pm

Yep, same thing just happened to me. ID is freaking out on us!

18. SignPainterGuy on January 9th, 2011 2:35 pm

Same at Zilla of the Resistance and Potluck; it`s for sure an ID thing !

19. OK_Loyalist on January 9th, 2011 2:47 pm

To my knowledge, it has always done this. I've neve figured out the scoring thingy.

20. SignPainterGuy on January 9th, 2011 3:27 pm

Oh, joy !! Backspace will get a good workout !

My comment rating goes up 1 per comment now; I assume eventually it will slow down ! Yours hasn`t changed for some time and I saw you have posted over 400 times – fuzzy math ?

21. Azygos on January 9th, 2011 8:24 pm

Dupnik is so disliked that two of the Sheriff's of adjoining counties refuse to even speak to him.

22. SignPainterGuy on January 9th, 2011 9:50 pm

It sounds to me , it`s time for a good old fashion "sheriff firing" !!