I saw the memorial in Tucson in bits and pieces so I can’t comment fully, but maybe one of you watched the whole thing and can give more details.

Nanny in comments from a previous post said it reminded her a bit of the Paul Wellstone memorial — and that’s the first thing that I thought of, except I don’t think even the Wellstone memorial had t-shirts:

When I saw that I was not unlike Barack Obama sans teleprompter: Pretty much speechless (although the Prez is maybe more comfortable with the subject of t-shirts and funerals than some). I half expected somebody with a hot dog cannon to be driving around the arena in a golf cart firing dinner to the mourners.

Michelle Malkin called it “branding.” It was a bizarre thing for a memorial. Not only that, but the memorial logo (I never thought I’d use that term) read “Together We Thrive: Tucson and America.”

As slogans go, that might be a pretty good one for the local Chamber of Commerce. But because this was a memorial for victims of murders that took place in an area that the left’s new favorite Sheriff had just declared the “Mecca for prejudice and bigotry,” the “Travel & Tourism Board” style branding (of a place we’re supposed to be boycotting no less) seemed more than a little out of place for what should have been a somber and respectful occasion.

That said, it sounds like Obama might have once again let down his base a little by refusing to blame conservatives. However, the fact that he didn’t come out a couple of days ago to spray some water on this nearly out of control political inferno/witch hunt speaks volumes too.

Comments

14 Responses to “Passing Out T-Shirts at a Memorial for Murder Victims?”

1. OK_Loyalist on January 13th, 2011 2:20 am

"Together We Thrive" sounds an awful like "As The Collective"

Last time I saw something like this, was at a Southern Baptist funeral, they did an alter call

2. Doug on January 13th, 2011 2:43 am

Heh, yeah, that does kind of have a "Lean Forward" feel to it…

3. Clu Seatoe on January 13th, 2011 3:09 am

Rahm: Never let a good crisis go to waste.
    ********

Together we thrive. How does that work exactly?

You mean like Christina Green’s life is now thriving since coming together with Jared Lee Loughner’s life? And how is an idiodic pagan Indian prayer to some demon going to help anyone thrive?

What a ridiculous statement! Made even more so by the circumstances. I mean, it’s not 1702 and we’re not on the American Frontier east of the Hudson River Territory.

Talk about politicizing this whole tragedy. Mao and his female have no shame, no compassion for anyone but themselves. What a couple of phony, plastic hypocrites.

4. @NellieOApple on January 13th, 2011 3:33 am

How disgraceful and what an insult to the families of the bereaved?
    I despise these kind of people—they are all fake and horrible!
    And for those who were killed by a lunatic liberal-May God bless their soul and rest in peace.

5. nannykins on January 13th, 2011 11:44 am

My observations – the t-shirts were the idea of the university but of course O would not object to such a display as it fits with their never ending campaign. The university president should have reminded those in attendance prior to the event that this was a memorial – I was waiting for the beach balls to start flying around. Did not see the opening part of the medicine mans remarks but thought his prayer was very odd. I did think the president did a good job in his remarks except for the part about the congress woman opening her eyes. Made it sound like after his visit, HE healed her. I thought that info like that should be relayed by her doctors. I thought all of the cheering, hootin and hollarin was VERY inappropriate and not at all respectful to the dead or the survivors. It very much reminded me of the Paul Wellstone memorial. But typical democrat style – never let a tragedy get in the way of promoting your agenda.

6. Zilla on January 13th, 2011 1:23 pm

The only thing missing from the tasteless and inappropriate slogan on the T-Shirts (T-shirts!?! WTF) was the Obama "O" logo.
    They were doing shout outs! Nappy gets up there and growls "thank you, Tuscon!" like she thinks she's a freaking rock star, the koolaid fueled audience booed Governor Jan Brewer, the whole thing was a sick, ghoulish display of gross impropriety.

7. OK_Loyalist on January 13th, 2011 1:42 pm

Of course he healed her, he walks on water, don't cha' know? He's the one he's been waiting for!

8. SignPainterGuy on January 13th, 2011 2:21 pm

So, which one finally arrived, the Kenyan or the Hawaiian ?!

9. SignPainterGuy on January 13th, 2011 2:36 pm

The whole thing turned into a political event, even though the prez. avoided attacking the right when he ventured off-TOTUS ! I think another venue would have been better, somewhere away from "koolaid fueled" students…
    So much about it was more campaign than memorial service !

10. SignPainterGuy on January 13th, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks for the tech tip last night at Zilla`s place for getting back vanished comments ! It works sometimes !

11. Zilla on January 13th, 2011 7:04 pm

I read somewhere, MOTUS I think, that they even served BEER there, WTF?

12. Doug on January 13th, 2011 7:13 pm

That would explain why I saw a Brewer there. (sorry…)

That'll be the new excuse for the disrespectul tone. "They weren't booing the Arizona governor, they were chanting 'Coors'."

13. Zilla on January 14th, 2011 9:19 am

Teehee. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
    BTW I love puns, Piers Anthony's Xanth books are my favorite brain candy & they're about a whole world of puns.

14. maladroit on January 14th, 2011 12:11 pm

I was kinda pissed-off that none of the networks keyed on the university cheerleaders — I'll bet they had some great cheers at-the-ready, but they were ignored.

Rah, Rah, sis-boom bah!
    Gabby's healed by O-bahm-ma!

But Obama did serve-up a good speech — I actually spilled my popcorn when he called for a halt to all the vitriol in the MSM.