Imagine my level of pride when I happened to have Saturday Night Live on last night just before bed and saw a cold-open skit featuring as a character my terrific blog partner Michelle Malkin.

The skit itself was weak and way too predictable (occasionally SNL bucks the liberal trend, but this time they continued to parrot the left-wing narrative on the subject). They should have consulted Michelle herself, because I guarantee she could have written this funnier.

What would have made a “Fox News trying to be more tolerant of the views of liberals” funnier would have been a juxtaposition with MSNBC doing the same thing in reverse — Ed Schultz forced to include and tolerate conservative opinion. That’s where I’d have placed Michelle Malkin’s character — possibly including a “scanners” style ending. After all, Ed Schultz is the one who admittedly refuses to have conservatives on his show, so that’s where “the new tone” approach would have been funnier. But maybe writing comedy about MSNBC is too challenging because writing a parody about something that is unintentionally hilarious in real life isn’t an easy thing to do.

But sadly, I don’t get to make those decisions:

Comments

12 Responses to “You Know You’ve Made it When…”

1. SignPainterGuy on January 16th, 2011 2:55 pm

Doug, your "juxstaposition" idea would be a vast improvement over this waste of screen time…..Greta`s "right, left, center mouth droop" and Carville`s "don`t interrupt me" bits got a chuckle, but the other characters were a near total miss and the script – vid/voice out of cinq reminded me of the crappy old Chinese kung-fu movies ! I quit watching SNL nearly 30 yrs ago for a reason !

One stipulation for your idea to work, you would have to lead the writing staff ! And, MM`s character would have to be asian !

2. Doug on January 16th, 2011 3:08 pm

My recent pet peeve about SNL (which I don't watch much but catch occasionally) is that they have the worst person possible playing Barack Obama. I've seen some great impressions of him from other comedians and every time SNL tries it the skit misses the mark just because the impression is so incredibly lame.

Oh, and I switch the video source… NBC just put up the clip to embed.

3. OK_Loyalist on January 16th, 2011 3:20 pm

They, NBC, actually were gentle on Michelle compared to other things that has been said about her. The comedy was weak at best.

Last week with Jim Carey was good. I too don't watch, happen to catch it on Hulu.

4. J.A. Topfke on January 16th, 2011 4:07 pm

You were right: this skit was weak.

5. OK_Loyalist on January 16th, 2011 5:22 pm

I'll tell you one I found funny yesterday. In Doug's "Call for Bipartisan Seating at the State of the Union" article at MM's in the comment section.

"On January 16th, 2011 at 4:00 am, tpitman said:

Who are the poor bastards who’ll have to sit on either side of Boxer? Are they all gonna show up in those lame “Together We Thrive” shirts? Maybe some “No Labels” shirts? Maybe Obama has some of those lab coats left over from the healthcare news conferences he can hand out just to make it even more confusing, and fake.
    Honestly, what must the world think when they see these people coming up with crap like this?
    I have to say, it won’t be the same without Nancy bouncing up and down out of her chair everytime Obama exhales. Boehner will probably be sitting there all muckle-mouthed with tears steaming down his cheeks, or sobbing uncontrollably on Joe Biden’s shoulder."

muckle-mouthed ROFL

Sorry can't find it in YouTube

6. Soul on January 16th, 2011 7:46 pm

Eh, I kind of got a kick out of the vegan part.

7. Nanny on January 16th, 2011 7:50 pm

As usual no more good acts or people on SNL. If they were not so hell bent on crucifying the right – they might find some funnies.

8. jfthomlinson on January 16th, 2011 9:40 pm

jeesus what a juvenile crew….it's been 2o years since i quit watching this clown car in slow motion train wreck called SNL ….and i'll be damned, if these fools haven't done the impossible…they've gotten worse….!

9. Barb Chansky on January 17th, 2011 12:56 am

Sorry, Doug, my nerves could only tolerate about half a minute of this idiocy; definitely looking forward to this bunch of brave dissenters making fun of their own network..

10. Jimbo on January 17th, 2011 2:55 am

That Carville was as creepy as the real thing. No one is lovely enough to play Michelle, but nice try.

11. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2011 4:21 am

+1 !

12. Marshall_Will on January 18th, 2011 2:03 pm

With all due respect I'll have to differ w/ Doug on this one ( virtually ANYONE could have written a funnier script that that? )

Remember though, the reason it all seems so inane to Doug's posters is that unlike SNL's "core demographic", PTB posters aren't coked up out their minds by the time the show comes on and that's a good part of the reason it just doesn't seem all that damned 'funny' to us?

Particularly tasteless was the attack on Greta. She can't help her appearance any more than Michelle can change her Asian heritage or 'I' can change being a Chicago Polksi. What better way to dismiss someone's intellect? Besides, given all the unwarranted attacks by the Left over the last decade+ isn't it really incumbent on THEM to make the first move toward 'civility'?