The knee-jerk PC continues to get comically out of hand:

CNN’s John King: “Before we go to break, I want to make a quick point. We were having a discussion about the Chicago mayoral race. My friend Andy Shaw used the term ‘in the crosshairs’ in talking about the candidates. We’re trying, we’re trying to get away from that language. Andy is a good friend, he’s covered politics for a long time, but we’re trying to get away from that kind of language.”

Video of John King apologizing as if his guest had just denied the holocaust or used a racial slur is here.

Fortunately, the offending term was uttered on CNN, meaning not many people heard it, and as a result fewer will be influenced to commit acts of unspeakable evil because of Andy Shaw’s reckless metaphor. If it had been said on Fox News, watch out!

At Hot Air, Allahpundit wonders: How did America survive through all the years CNN aired this program:

Comments

17 Responses to “CNN Apologizes for Guest Using Term ‘Crosshairs’; America Still Awaiting Apology for Parker/Spitzer”

1. OK_Loyalist on January 19th, 2011 2:01 am

At The Powers To Be, OK_Loyalists wonders: How did America survive through all the years before it needed fundamentally changed by this Marxist destroyer that corksuckers like Nick hold as deity? (Sorry, it's the full moon)

Marshall language patterns are so inbreed in our existence. The absurd starts with even thinking that you can stop it because it makes bad politics .

Most Marshall language has reasoning behind it, here is a few I have also found fun.

3 Squares A Day – English Nautical – Plates were square shaped with high sides so your food didn't slop out swaying here and fro and the Brit Navy guaranteed 3 meals (in your square) a day.

Son Of A Gun – English Nautical – When ship was in harbor so the crew didn't run off, the crew was allowed to have wife and kids take up with them aboard. Well occasionally if delivery became difficult, they would put her between a cannons and shoot a few blank rounds in hopes to speed up the process. If child was a boy under this process, they were sons of a gun.

And for the Northerners … Colder than the Balls On a Brass Monkey … any guesses ?

2. Clu Seatoe on January 19th, 2011 2:13 am

Trying to morph the English language back to the 1940’s or 1950’s is like one of Mao’s welfare recipients morphing back into a productive member of society instead of sitting on the sagging front porch with their swollen cankles hanging out behind the half-height chain link fence with the pit bull and the derelict cars rusting in the dirt in what used to be the front yard back in the 1940’s or 1950’s.

Y'all gonna be in a whole mess'a trouble you go mess'en wiff my welfare check.

3. Jim T. on January 19th, 2011 4:20 am

Found this on Strangecosmos.com – they don't have a source listed for it so take it with a grain of salt"

"In the heyday of sailing ships, all war ships and many freighters carried iron cannons. Those cannons fired round iron cannon balls. It was necessary to keep a good supply near the cannon. However, how to prevent them from rolling about the deck?
    The best storage method devised was a square-based pyramid with one ball on top, resting on four resting on nine, which rested on sixteen.. Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon. There was only one problem…how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding or rolling from under the others. The solution was a metal plate called a 'Monkey' with 16 round indentations. However, if this plate were made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make 'Brass Monkeys.'
    Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled. Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannonballs would come right off the monkey.. Thus, it was quite literally, 'Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.' "

4. OK_Loyalist on January 19th, 2011 4:22 am

Patriot !!!!

5. nannykins on January 19th, 2011 12:02 pm

One only has to look at Detroit to see how that social experiment worked out for them.

6. SignPainterGuy on January 19th, 2011 12:29 pm

If you`re speaking of Appalachia, you forgot the washing machine on the back porch and the couch on the front……Also, junk cars are placed on cinder-blocks, sans wheels (gotta buy beer) so they double as dog and chicken sheds !

7. Marshall_Will on January 19th, 2011 12:48 pm

I've heard similar nautical explanations for "Three Sheets ( sails! ) To The Wind" etc. Having been Navy, I've always found this aspect of our history absolutely fascinsating!

Some years back I did an informal survey of Merriam-Webster and when you take out obscure medical terms and ref's, along w/ nautical jargon.., the dictionary gets a lot, LOT thinner!

A good friend ( retired Navy and well-versed historian ) insists this country went off the rails when we abandoned our maritime traditions and… decided it was easier and more profitable to sub-contract that out?

8. Marshall_Will on January 19th, 2011 12:50 pm

Clu,

Why the attitude? I have a buddy that lives in Moreno Valley, CA and when visiting I always LOVE to tour "The Meth Country" and Pit Bull Farms!

9. Michelle Malkin » Idiocracy: Can CNN’s John King please apologize for his lameness? on January 19th, 2011 1:10 pm

[...] (h/t Allahpundit), and who works for the network that made “Crossfire” famous (see Doug Powers for an iconic screenshot), is now interrupting his show for real-time p.c. language self-policing of [...]

10. nannykins on January 19th, 2011 1:11 pm

Wow, seems that one of the "victims" of the Tuscon massacre, Eric Fuller, isn't who he seems to be. A name change, conviction for sodomy and now his "wounds" are being questioned. Followed a couple links from Brent Bozell's column at Newsbusters. No wonder the Westboro Liberal Media didn't follow up on this death threat to the Tea Party activist. The guy is as whacko as the shooter.

11. Idiocracy: Can CNN’s John King please apologize for his lameness? | Conservatives for America on January 19th, 2011 1:31 pm

12. Marshall_Will on January 19th, 2011 1:53 pm

nannykins,

As he has Oregon ties, we discussed it somewhat on our local Victoria Taft Blog. At one point, he felt the gov. should PAY for his sexual-predator defense! Yeah, he's just that twisted.

Didn't realize his 'wounds' were being called into question. His 'gait' as displayed on O'Reilly last night strikes me as being oddly suspicious now that you've mentioned it? I'll have to check w/ Brent ( good man btw )

This just keeps getting weirder ( if that's 'possible'? )

13. Rich S. on January 19th, 2011 1:54 pm

It's not actually true, but it is fun.

14. Sister_Mary on January 19th, 2011 6:39 pm

Good thing Camden, NJ and Detroit, MI have been run by Republicans the last 30 yrs or someone may begin to talk ;)

15. Welcome to Namby Pamby Land! « The Daley Gator on January 19th, 2011 8:57 pm

[...] we really getting this wussified in America? Seriously The knee-jerk PC continues to get comically out of hand: CNN’s John King: [...]

16. JFG on January 20th, 2011 8:42 am

Back in the mid-1990s, I had cause to study metaphors in politics. I did a great deal of research at the Library of Congress, and one of the items I found was an essay in the Washington Post (Feb 1992/1993?) by Meg Greenfield entitled "Bam, Crash, Kersplat!" It was a snapshot of violent metaphors in politics at the time, and I recommend it.

As for creating more "threat" statutes, a look at 18 USC sec 871 might prove interesting. Great dissent in Watts v U.S. by Justice Thurgood Marshall. See also law review articles. One of first people to be convicted said, "Wilson is a wooden headed son-of-a-bitch, and he belongs in hell, and if I had the power to put him there, I would." To my mind, that was a moral judgment, not a threat to the president. Still, the guy was one of the first to go to prison. The legislative history is also interesting. The discussion of money for tuberculosis was too important for so few members present, so they moved on to one more little hazard on the road of life. Given that Wilson was moving towards war, despite campaign promises, one member of congress noted the statute might come in handy.

Prior to the U.S. Navy, my language was extremely tame. Nowadays, few things shock me and I'm not easily offended. One of the things that attracted me to politics, I think, was the professional wrestling aspect of it. There was something cathartic about it. You could rant under protection of the U.S. Constitution. It was colorful, emotional, but it was safe. As for metaphorical language (see Jon Stewart's bit one night where he wrapped an artichoke in bacon and shoved it up someone's ass), a lot of my thinking is analogical, and I imagine I'm not the only one. To limit my available symbols is to limit my ability to express, and I do some of my best thinking when thinking out loud.

The inmates are running the asylum as far as I'm concerned. (Metaphorically speaking, of course, and provided that metaphor is sufficiently ubiquitous and empty of flavor as to be socially acceptable.)

17. Idiocracy: Can CNN’s John King please apologize for his lameness? | Ace Campaign on January 20th, 2011 9:29 am