Have you seen the video of the woman who was walking through a mall while texting and fell into a fountain (vid below). I saw it the other day and the first thing I thought of was “when’s she going to get a lawyer?”

The answer is “right now”:

All laughing aside, Marrero says she’s mortified by the incident and gets uncomfortable when talking about it.

“My issue is I don‘t think security was professional because they didn’t send anyone to check on me until 20 minutes later and I had already left,” she said Wednesday. “Instead of laughing, they should have said, ‘Is she OK?’ and been down there right away to check on me,” she said.

Since her accident, Marrero has recruited an attorney, James M. Polyak, to “conduct an investigation into what happened.”

And without a doubt her attorney’s “investigation” will determine that the mall was not at fault for his client’s stupidity.

Not only that, but she works at the mall. You think she’d know where the fountain is by now. If she wins any settlement or a court award, this will be the “hot coffee in the lap” of the texting age.

In my opinion, if she wanted some money for her stupidity, she had a chance to pick up some loose change when she was in the fountain, but blew it:

Update: If the mall is responsible for this person falling into the fountain, and if Sarah Palin is responsible for the Tucson shootings, then hey, why not blame Michelle Obama for increased pedestrian deaths? Turnabout is fair play.

Comments

28 Responses to “Of Course: Texting Woman/YouTube Sensation Who Fell Into Mall Fountain Gets a Lawyer”

1. Marshall_Will on January 20th, 2011 12:19 pm

"they should have said, 'Is she OK?' "

Well… apparently! You got up without aid, barely broke your stride and were GONE within seconds? It's not like she was flailing about w/ a broken hip gasping for air.

Note to Security Dept: Don't videotape -yourselves- commenting on someone else's mishap ( however stoopid that individual might be! )

? Did I actually see Richard Dreyfus morph into a conservative this morning on F & F? Just what PTB readers need, a lecture on 'civics' from this guy! Oh well, assuming his 'Initiative.org' is sincere… welcome aboard! All is forgiven.

2. Pasadena Phil on January 20th, 2011 2:20 pm

She should have been arrested for attempted robbery.

3. Marshall_Will on January 20th, 2011 2:34 pm

Lol, right, and don't forget to sue the pants off the cell phone mfr. as well!

Looked like a staged 'accident' to me, particularly that Ms. Marrero managed to hit such a "sweet spot" in the fountain. For that matter, it may as well have been a wall/tree chipper?

Reminds me of "Anna Ayala" and the fingertip she found in a bowl of Wendy's chilli. Busted!

4. ReaganiteGOPer on January 20th, 2011 2:53 pm

Shameless, greedy idiot

5. Marshall_Will on January 20th, 2011 3:05 pm

Well I'm no Tanya Reiman but as a sales person, I've learned to read people's body language pretty well. It's almost as if she's -accelerating- the closer she gets to the 'obstacle'!

As if to 'ensure' the perfect spectacle. Anything less than a full-clip and your center of gravity won't allow to be carried over. I'm sure the designers THOUGHT about that.

What I meant by "sweet spot" was that it strikes me if most were to make that error ( it wouldn't be by 'much'? ) You don't walk out to your driveway and try to start your neighbor's car by accident? I can see 'clipping' the CORNER of the fountain ( but a full YARD in!? ) Fake. Faker. Go back far enough in the video archives and you'll find her "casing" the scene. IMHO

6. nannykins on January 20th, 2011 3:49 pm

I am just flumoxed at the stupidity of some people. Hope she keeps that attorney on retainer for all things stupid that happen to her. Feel sorry for her nail technicians because they are probably in her "crosshairs" for the broken nail experienced during this fall.

7. Tekov Yahoser on January 20th, 2011 4:04 pm

Exhibit "A" for "Loser Pays" in Tort cases!

8. guest on January 20th, 2011 4:27 pm

Somebody smart out there help me out.
    How do we reign in "Big Law"? Don't we, as a society have enough laws and lawyers?
    How do we stop lawyers from getting involved in every single aspect of our lives?
    Can someone smart out there (who isn't a lawyer) come up with a plan to loosen the stranglehold lawyers have on our society? It seems to me they write the laws and are above the laws they write.
    Just a thought.

9. Marshall_Will on January 20th, 2011 4:36 pm

"come up with a plan"

Guest ( and welcome aboard by the way! ) I think Glen Beck said it best when he shares; "If we want to change America ( we have to change ourselves! )"

You're exactly right, passing MORE Laws ( to limit the -use- of Laws ) isn't going to help!? Good questions you raise. In addition to changing 'ourselves' ( we need to get rid of quite a few judges TOO ) if you know what I mean? They're the ones that entertain the frvilous.

10. nannykins on January 20th, 2011 5:23 pm

Start an email chain to every lawyer in the US. Tell them there will be a conference in the middle of the Mackinac Bridge. When they get there tell them that just over the side of the bridge is a !00% sure fire pay out lawsuit as Sarah Palin and her family are in a boat fishing and there appears to be sheen coming from the back of the boat. When the first one jumps the rest will follow. It's a good start

11. nannykins on January 20th, 2011 5:27 pm

Hey we can kill two birds with one stone. When the MSM gets a whiff that the lawyers are jumping over the edge and it involves Sarah Palin they too will take the liberal leap of faith with them.

12. Marshall_Will on January 20th, 2011 5:43 pm

nannykins,

LOL! Yep, gotta' start somewhere!

Actually we used to vacation there when I was a kid. Visiting the old fort there and everything was very interesting. I'd hate to see it become 'toxic' w/ the refuse of a mil. or so Lawyers?

I recall there was a wax display of a native-Indian grabbing one of the settlements maidens w/ her dress being partially undone. It was kind of shocking for an 8-year old to see and I'm sure they've long since been told by the PC popo to take it down.

13. nannykins on January 20th, 2011 7:12 pm

Been there many times – especially when the kids were little – lots of field trips. I am sure they took that display down as soon as someone complained. It is still a fascinating place to visit – especially the island but it has gotten really expensive. So we just let the "fudgies" stay, play and pay now. We actually have a place about 20 miles south of there on Burt Lake. More peaceful and less "fudgies".

14. SignPainterGuy on January 20th, 2011 8:49 pm

"fudgies", heh, had to look that one up in the Urban Dictionary……the description was "Mackinac" specific ! My 300+ lb. buddy and his nearly as large wife took a Caribbean cruise one year and then a Seattle to Anchorage cruise the next yr. Returning from the latter one, he said he`d do that again but never go on another Caribbean cruise in part because of all the 300+lb. tourists ! Oh, priceless !

15. Marshall_Will on January 20th, 2011 8:59 pm

I'll have to get up to speed on Burt Lake. I noticed as the credits rolled after "Somewhere In Time" that The Grand Hotel there is where it was filmed. Very cool setting.

My favorite memories of MI are cutting school and going to the Warren Dunes State Park! If you're from Chicago you pass thru three states in about 15 mins.

Why was I whincing while looking up "fudgies"? Thank God!

16. Marshall_Will on January 20th, 2011 9:17 pm

Update! ( Busted )

Ms. Marrero is facing Court and 5 Felony Charges. Theft By Deception blah, blah. ( She'll make some lucky a guy a fine wife! ) As long as he's willing to cover her lawyers?

17. SignPainterGuy on January 20th, 2011 9:18 pm

Perhaps I missed it, but I saw no one around "Miss Graceful" even act like they noticed her ! I can imagine her saying, "Dammit, by the time I get a new cell phone, I`ll forget what I was texting !" (Among other things unprintable here) I think this fits – "The likelihood of being seen doing something stupid is in direct proportion to the stupidity of your action !" Thanks to the amused security staff, millions are getting to see it !

From my personal experience with a Paranoid Schizophrenic, I can tell you, anything can set off a violent episode, or nothing can provoke one, or something in between ! No one is to blame for "Tucson" but the shooter himself (except to some degree the mental health system and Sheriff Stupidnik) ! However, there is a connection between increased numbers of pedestrians (to be involved in accidents) and MO`s call to "get off our butts and move" ! Of course, the Lame Stream Westboro Liberal Media will continue to fail to make that connection !

18. Nanny on January 20th, 2011 9:59 pm

Burt Lake is on the Inland Waterway Route. You can start in NW Northern Michigan on Crooked Lake, go thru the Crooked River to Burt Lake, to the Indian River, to Mullet Lake, to the Cheboygan River and end up in Lake Huron on the NE side of Northern Michigan. It is quite the trip and experience. Especially the river routes – it is like our version of Mardi Gras – only it starts in May and goes all summer long until fall colors come out or it starts snowing – whichever comes first!

And my sister lives in St. Joseph which is not far from the 3 state route you speak of. New Buffalo is filled with Chicago folks. I do believe Mike Ditka and Michael Jordan have homes on Lake Michigan in that same area.

19. Nanny on January 20th, 2011 10:01 pm

Yeah "fudgies" could mean a lot of things but in far northern Michigan – they are the tourists – who frequent the famous fudge and candy shops in the area. And it is REALLY good fudge too!

20. Nanny on January 20th, 2011 10:05 pm

After their complete failure of their jobs in the Tuscon massacre – I could care less that there is even "journalists" left in this country. Complete disgrace – especially when I heard about the weirdo "victim" Eric Fuller who threatened the Tea Party guy. Not one word about what a creep this liberal whack job is. So yeah, the Westboro Liberal Media can kiss my a$$.

21. SignPainterGuy on January 20th, 2011 11:45 pm

When we worked races in MI, one of the racer-wives would bring us a tub of that fudge for the crew. After we had each had a bite, the boss`s wife would hide the rest to eat herself ! Yes, some of the best fudge anywhere !

We had lots of good food there, but hands down, the fish is best ! You guys spoiled me ! I miss it so ! I grew up with deep fried fish in cornmeal batter – I want to throw rocks at that yuk now !

22. SignPainterGuy on January 21st, 2011 12:00 am

What was it, yesterday when the added details of Eric Fuller were revealed ?! Amazing, but not really surprising ! I heard it on FOX radio news and read on-line – nothing from WLM !

23. OK_Loyalist on January 21st, 2011 12:13 am

Just when you thought the gene pool was thin enough …DOH !

24. SignPainterGuy on January 21st, 2011 12:36 am

Where did you see that, M_W ? I`ve looked at all my usual haunts and can`t find it ! Court and 5 felony charges for "diving while doofy " ? Or previous mis-deeds ?

25. nannykins on January 21st, 2011 2:30 pm

No cornmeal for us – pure pan fried lake perch, blue gills and walleye – nothing sweeter than fresh caught fish sizzling in butter in a cast iron pan. With a nice cold Coors Lite!

26. SignPainterGuy on January 21st, 2011 3:55 pm

I`m surprised you didn`t mention pike ! I had a mixed grill of walleye and pike in Plymouth,WI that nearly floated me away – Oh, yes maam !! Plank grilled fish w/ various coatings is great as well – deep frying is so dependent on the batter and the chef`s fastidiousness !

Coors ? I thought Blue Ribbon and Miller were Great Lakes faves ?! Along w/ a plethora of craft beers !

I prefer bourbon and coke w/ a meal – beer right after work or before a meal but for some reason food ruins the taste of beer for me !

27. nannykins on January 21st, 2011 4:35 pm

Ah pike are fun to catch but I am not a fan. I just use a little flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder for the pan fish. A little butter and veg. oil and you are good to go.

I grew up on Pabst Blue Ribbon – my dad drove for them for 38 years but then my hubby got in the beer business when Coors made the trek east so I have just stuck with that – especially when at the lake or on the boat and it has to absolutely COLD. It is a Manhattan for me after work and while cooking dinner then I have a sherry or dessert wine during and after dinner. When the pocket book allows I go for a nice sip of Grand Marnia, warmed, in a brandy snifter. I think I need to go home and have a fish dinner and a drink!!!

28. SignPainterGuy on January 21st, 2011 4:52 pm

Crappie are preferred here to blue gill, larger, thicker and far fewer bones w/ similar flavor – plus they school and come to lights at night – the "washtub full" is a frequent reality ! Walleye are becoming more common in the deeper-cooler lakes here, goodie !

I may have to load up and drive to MI, I`m gettin` really hungry !