When I heard that the first planes were doing target strikes on Baghdad at about 7 p.m. January 16, 1991 I was leaving a movie theater and the news had just broken on the radio. We sat in the car for at least a half hour listening and then later watched the CNN coverage of the Baghdad fireworks live from a hotel room in that city.

Have 20 years already gone by since Operation Desert Storm? (not to be confused with Michelle Obama’s “Operation Dessert Storm” which is still underway)

Below is video from NBC featuring the key players in the White House 20 years ago. It might re-open the debate that occurred at the time concerning stopping short of Baghdad and getting rid of Hussein right then, but you’ll hear “that wasn’t the objective” more than once in this interview.

And while we’re at it, a big salute to all the veterans of Operation Desert Storm:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

(h/t HAP)

Comments

14 Responses to “Operation Desert Storm: 20 Years Later”

1. Marshall_Will on January 21st, 2011 2:10 pm

How good of Brian Williams to keep The Left Narrative alive by asserting first and foremost that Gulf I ( as he and Jeneane Garafalo had suspected all along! ) was "all about oil"!

The contempt for Williams on these men's faces is altogether too obvious. As well it should be. Personally, I was just waiting for my old unit, the 939th Air Rescue Wing to get called up. Hate to admit it ( but I was crushed when we weren't ) In the rear with the gear as they say.

2. nannykins on January 21st, 2011 2:25 pm

I was bowling and the entire alley stopped and went to the bar to watch the shock and awe. Rushed home to catch the rest and watched all night long. Yeah, Marshall, you are right – taking all that oil from those Kuwaitees – really helped out the US. Ugh, Brian Williams needs to go meditate somewhere with Michael Moore and Garafalo needs to go "hole up" with Rosie O'Donnell where ever the hell she hides her fat ass these days.

3. Marshall_Will on January 21st, 2011 2:46 pm

"really helped out the US"

Right, I recall not long after that gas was free and the oil companies were -still- raking it in!

Ed Morrisey notes on Hot Air "Whatever happened to the anti-war movement" and Ed always makes it worth your time. One of his posters notes further "Whatever happened to Code Pink?" Hmm… good question.

Did other posters find that endlessly frustrating? Just knowing the whole protest 'movement' was disingenuous and financed? I can't decide if they were useful idiots the Dem's could discard after re-taking the WH or just trying to re-live the 60's?

4. Rick on January 21st, 2011 4:51 pm

dessert storm…lol.

ODS was a stunning military success.How little America and the “global community” knew back then about Islam’s beliefs and practices. Perhaps one day soon,we will go to war over “oil”.Anwar and the Gulf of Mexico might be the places to start!

MW-The Vandy area is still great.However,pointy-headed elite liberals are in much abundance.

5. Marshall_Will on January 21st, 2011 5:00 pm

"beliefs and practices"

Ain't THAT the truth! How little indeed.

Pointy heads aside, my wife and I have never ruled that area out on our "short list" of potential retirement havens. Every once in awhile, Money Mag. Forbes etc. will run an article on "Conservative Retirement Community Strongholds!" ( or words to that effect )

By vocation, we may 'have' to put up w/ PH's during our working years ( but who would do that of their own volition in retirement? ) Thanks for the heads up. Saves me RT airfare and a car rental. NEXT!

6. Rick on January 21st, 2011 5:28 pm

MW-

-search Williamson County,cites of Franklin,Brentwood and Spring Hill.

-Sumner County,city of Hendersonville.

-Wilson County,city of Mt.Juliet

=Nashville-zip codes 37215,205,221 and 212.

sorry to veer off-topic.

7. Marshall_Will on January 21st, 2011 5:54 pm

Rick,

As long as Doug doesn't mind, I don't mind. In fact, when it comes to nailing these topics down ( there's nothing like "on-site intel"! )

So thank you and I will check into them! It all started for me when my cousin ( born & raised in West Chicago, IL ) moved to N. Arkansas when she and her hubby bought an RV Resort. She explained that back in the 70's some real estate promoter touted it heavily as a "golfing haven" to Chicagoans.

Even though they've long stopped coming.., the legacy is well established. So you're surrounded by -very- nice year round weather and… people that walk, talk and think pretty much like 'you' do!

I realize some might say seeking that kind of an anomaly is "insular" or even "provincial"! But mind you ( none of these people are paying your bills? ) One of the most beneficial aspects of blogging is getting the kind of information you're just not going to get from the local real estate "cheerleaders". IMHO

8. SignPainterGuy on January 21st, 2011 9:42 pm

My Sister and BnL are looking at a cabin on 17 acres on the shore of Lake Barkley next to a natural upwelling spring in Western KY as their retirement dream spot ! Everything about it looks nice, he showed me the online tour, including the 2 1/2 hrs less drive time for me ! Closer for both their Sons, too !

9. Ken in Texas on January 22nd, 2011 1:54 am

Wow. 20 years since Desert Storm? I happen to have had the privilege to participate in that quarrel. My PATRIOT unit was assigned to provide air cover for the 2d Armored Division, so we invaded with the tanks; "Tip of the spear", so to speak. Except for having to back out of a couple of major mine-fields and blowing some tires on them, it was a cake-walk. The worst part was sitting in the desert, in Saudi Arabia, being told ten times a day, that we could expect 40,000 to 60,000 casualties, the first day, due to the use of chemical weapons. Very comforting, and a real morale booster! I even wrote my wife a "farewell" letter on the eve of the invasion; she still has it, and when I finally returned home, she had "worried" off 34 pounds,which she could ill afford to lose. We had one major fire-fight, but if y'all want a real hero, look at the wives who's husbands are in danger.

10. SignPainterGuy on January 22nd, 2011 2:34 am

Then I would say, Ken, give your lovely hero wife a great big hug and kiss from all of us at TPTB !

Yeah, I remember the various predictions of casualties that thankfully never materialized ! I was never more proud of our superior military !

11. Richard S. Lowry on January 22nd, 2011 9:13 am

Read the entire incredible story of Operation Desert Storm in "The Gulf War Chronicles."

PS If it was about oil, how come we are paying $3 a gallon now?

12. Ken in Texas on January 22nd, 2011 2:16 pm

I will surely do that. It takes a very special woman to be a military wife, and the Army recognizes it. When I was presented with my retirement certificate, she got one, too!

13. SignPainterGuy on January 22nd, 2011 2:39 pm

EXCELLENT ! Well deserved indeed ! I had no idea any branch of the military did that ! Good news !

Patriot missles – fascinating technology ! I remember one story describing the difficulty of knocking down a scud – like driving down the road, picking out a blade of grass under a mailbox 20 miles down the road, and actually hitting it with a rifle bullet !

Again, thank you AND your wife for a job very well done !

14. Ken in Texas on January 23rd, 2011 1:46 am

Here's the amazing thing, Guy; my unit was deployed from Germany and Raytheon had TWO WEEKS to install the new technology that enabled PATRIOT to intercept SCUD's. They did it, and during the wait time in Saudi, we played around with our radars and discovered a PATRIOT missile even had the ability to intercept an artillery round. If that punk-ass Republican Guard had any idea what was comin' at 'em, they'd have run a lot quicker than they did.