Ouch! This is like submitting to a pity-date with the ugly liberal chick at school and getting turned down just hours before the prom:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Tuesday rebuffed Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s (R-Va.) invitation to sit together at the State of the Union address, informing the Republican lawmaker — via Twitter — that she had already accepted an invitation from another colleague from across the aisle, Rep. Roscoe Bartlett (R-Md.).

Here’s Pelosi’s turndown:

This whole DC prom situation is fairly nauseating, but what I wouldn’t give to be a beer goggles salesman at this little soiree tonight.

What do you all think about inviting victims of the Tucson shooting (and some of their relatives) to sit in the First Lady’s box tonight?

The 50 or more members of Congress participating in this “bipartisan seating” love-fest (and they called reading the Constitution on the House floor a “stunt”?) have already virtually admitted the shootings were politically motivated, so some Republicans have played completely into the left’s hands on this. I won’t be surprised to see Lisa Murkowski in a “Together We Thrive” t-shirt before the night is through.

Later I’ll start another thread for anybody who wants to drop by and comment on and/or mock the proceedings.

(h/t HAP)

Comments

20 Responses to “Cantor Asks Pelosi to the SOTU Prom, Gets Totally Turned Down”

1. Joe Redfield on January 25th, 2011 7:11 pm

I call for an investigation of Rep. Bartlett, who , as of now, is the leading contender for RINO of The Year.

2. SignPainterGuy on January 25th, 2011 7:15 pm

This whole prom date / hand holding thing is disgusting and counter-productive ! The dems are still acting like they won the election and too many wimpy R`s are acting like that`s true ! This is precisely the time to show that we are distinct from the dems and oppose Obeyme at most every turn! Sitting together does nothing but camouflage that distinction !

3. Clu Seatoe on January 25th, 2011 7:47 pm

I don’t believe Pelosi for a second.

In fact, I don’t even think she wrote that tweet. She hasn’t thanked anyone for anything since God make dirt; I don’t believe she has any friends at all and I believe that by this point in her life she is incapable of feeling any pleasure whatsoever.

4. Zilla on January 25th, 2011 8:00 pm

I am really sick of the gutless Republicans! I only remain registered to the party so I can vote as many of those weak kneed SOBs out as I can in the primaries!
    Gutless Old Pansies!

5. Zilla on January 25th, 2011 8:03 pm

What the heck is wrong with the stupid Republicans? Did they not get the election results? Did they not get the memo that leftist crackpost druggie mental case Loughner didn't become a killer over so-called right wing rhetoric? WTF? I have been a registered Republican all of my voting life, but the past few years have given me just cause to truly hate the GOP.

6. Clu Seatoe on January 25th, 2011 8:09 pm

The idea that anyone in Congress would object to the reading of the Constitution of The United States on the first day of each new Congressional year is like someone objecting to the a Bible reading by the Pope each Christmas Eve.

…and that individual should be immediately shunned by and ejected from the Congress and barred from returning and his place given to another who thinks better of, and has more respect for America.

7. SignPainterGuy on January 25th, 2011 8:22 pm

Sounds like a proper "Litmus Test" !

8. Marshall_Will on January 25th, 2011 8:26 pm

Zilla,

No doubt I share that sentiment, and I haven't forgotten MM's wretch-inducing video of Cantor Sucking.Up to P' BO at his first post-inaug. press conf!

But at my own extreme peril, I'm willing to play devil's advocate here. Most of Doug's posters are hard-boiled MidWesterners ( myself included ) Yet we've all had friends over the years that are -true- Southern Gents. Why they're gentlemenly EVEN when it's awkward. EVEN when it's humbling. EVEN when it's the 'last' thing you want to do!

Eric knew ( or at least strongly suspected ) he'd be snubbed. And subbed HARD. But a SG still has to do what he has to do. I get frustrated when Swamp-creatures and The Professional Left flatly -refuse- to acknowledge Sarah Palin or the whole Alaskan Lifestyle. Is it, is it just possible 'we' are being equally unfair w/ Mr. Cantor here? Just curious, ducks!

9. SignPainterGuy on January 25th, 2011 9:12 pm

"Southern Gents -even when …..", Why thank you lad, so good of you to notice ! ;-) My ex might argue and my ex-boss / buddy`s wife as well !! Aiy-ee !

I`m not willing to give up on the party, but I`ve had it w/ the Rockin`-fellers and the current party leadership. (I guess I should excuse our new chairman) Some are doing great things, others are being boneheads – it`s a mixed bag that has me encouraged and disappointed at the same time ! GEE WHIZZ !!

10. SignPainterGuy on January 25th, 2011 9:20 pm

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT !! P`BO is making an all channel covered speech and for a change, he`s NOT pre-empting NCIS !! Perhaps wonders may stop ceasing afterall – at least once !

11. Marshall_Will on January 25th, 2011 9:43 pm

SPG,

A good friend of mine went to Hampden & Sydney in VA. Trust me, he's no fool. I think another big part of that is; ( a Southern Gent knows when there's no winning! )

So if you can't win in a social setting, why appear outwardly frustrated ta' boot?? Just be gracious as always ( write in your little black book, and save it for a later day! ) I've seen Steve very pleasantly -remind- people years later… that he offered kindly? 'You'… refused.

12. Nanny on January 25th, 2011 10:05 pm

The Republicans that are falling for this date night are being had. What a bunch of damn idiots!!! No – they did not "get" the election. Maybe for a day or so but once they got to DC and the RINO's got their claws in them they folded like a damn deck chair on the Titanic. Sad to say but looks like we need to start all over again with someone who DOES GET IT!!! No sucking up to liberals – PERIOD!!!

And while I am at it – would someone please tell Rick Santorum to just go away! I do not believe in abortion but he is starting on that holier than thou track on every radio program and TV show. I very much disagreed with him and Hannity during the Terry Shiavo fiasco. And now he is injecting himself into the abortion issue again at a time when our focus needs to be on jobs, the economy, security, less government and ridding ourselves of this socialist utopia foisted upon us. His tirades are going to chase voters away from the pressing issues we need to deal with.

13. OK_Loyalist on January 25th, 2011 10:14 pm

Most of the Republicans in DC are some gullible morons.

Dr. Tom Coburn has proven to his constituents of Oklahoma that he just doesn't GET IT! This is the 3rd time he has twisted. 1st it was TARP, then saying "Nancy Pelosi is a nice person" and now falling for the left's trickery of diluting the right's win.

14. Tweets that mention Cantor Asks Pelosi to the SOTU Prom, Gets Totally Turned Down : The Powers That Be -- Topsy.com on January 25th, 2011 10:17 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Colin Copland, Doug Powers. Doug Powers said: Cantor Asks Pelosi to the SOTU Prom, Gets Totally Turned Down http://tinyurl.com/694mqsh [...]

15. Marshall_Will on January 25th, 2011 10:28 pm

OK,

Be that as it may… ( we'd trade you for our's in Oregon in a heartbeat! )

MM says Doug will perform as Master Of Ceremonies for the "action and inaction" this evening so I hope he got his tux back from the cleaners and has corsage in hand! ( WTH, should be worth a few laughs anyway? )

Not… to be the GOP Apologist In Chief today, but I wonder if this isn't good politics? What do we want them to do? Spill champagne all down the front of Nan's dress and tell all the other guys 'not' to date her cuzz she doesn't "put out"? Put GBH in her chaperone's drink? C'mon.

Granted, this whole affair even creeps ME out.., but let's see where this leads?

16. OK_Loyalist on January 25th, 2011 10:42 pm

Right now most importantly, we want/need Obamacare repealed. Until that happens they need to tell them to kiss our ass on anything.

17. OK_Loyalist on January 25th, 2011 10:52 pm

The trickery is to calm us, the populace, down. The TEA party is working. We MUST turn it up !!!!

18. SignPainterGuy on January 25th, 2011 11:04 pm

"….diluting the right`s win." excellent terminology !

19. OK_Loyalist on January 25th, 2011 11:16 pm

Straight from "The Great One" just a minute ago … "We need to be exposing our adversaries"

20. Zilla on January 26th, 2011 2:05 pm

I'm not calming down, and I won't let anyone in my vicinity become placated by the CRAPTASTIC's deception either. They only want to trick the opposition into laying down so it's easier to continue steamrolling over We the People.