Okay, the big SOTU prom will be underway soon and, but here’s an interesting programming note: In direct competition to Obama’s speech, starting at 9 p.m. EST, Rush Limbaugh will be featured on The Haney Project on The Golf Channel.

There’s a SOTU drinking game here, but if you really want to get loaded, do a shot whenever Obama says “investment” instead of what it really means: “yet another massive spending program.”

I’ll be weighing in from time to time on this thread at Michelle M’s site as well. Feel free to add your comments here on the goings-on this evening, including what is sure to be the subsequent media-gasm over what will be alleged to be the resurrection of The One. Word has it that everybody who works with Chris Matthews is covered in plastic like they’re in the front row at a Gallagher concert just in case Tingles can’t “think about baseball” long enough.

Back with updates soon…

9:05 p.m.; Obama enters, followed by Cantor, McConnell, Reid, etc.

9:15 p.m.: Aw, so cute seeing all the members of Congress sitting with their dates.

9:22 p.m.: “Sputnik” (twice) … do two shots!

9:41 p.m.: Hey, you know what would make this speech even better? If the guy delivering it believed a word of it!

10:00 p.m.: O’s back into that back-and-forth “watching a tennis match” style teleprompter reading habit.

10:25 p.m.: Speech over. Scariest line of the night: “We do big things.” Not a lot there for people who want to see the government chill on the wild spending binges. What made it stranger was that it was said not long after Obama expressed the need to make government more affordable, competent and efficient.

Comments

33 Responses to “State of the Union Open Thread and Drinking Game”

1. OK_Loyalist on January 25th, 2011 11:27 pm

Oh Lord, in all of your magnificence we ask for TOTUS to malfunction, for he knows not what he says !

2. Tweets that mention State of the Union Open Thread and Drinking Game : The Powers That Be -- Topsy.com on January 25th, 2011 11:58 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by John Boyer, Doug Powers. Doug Powers said: State of the Union/Congressional Prom Night open thread http://tinyurl.com/6xoe7gd [...]

3. OK_Loyalist on January 26th, 2011 12:09 am

Coburn is as giddy as a school boy … He got the aisle to shake hands with the Zero. What a jerk !

4. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 12:29 am

STD`s CAN be transmitted by "casual" contact ! Was Coburn too giddy to call that "casual" ?!

5. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 12:35 am

No, BTW, I`m not watching The Won – I`m watching "Cat Woman" ! Halle Berry is many magnitudes more pleasing to the eyes and ears than The Reader of The TOTUS !!! So far, she hasn`t lied to me – I hate Lies !!

6. OK_Loyalist on January 26th, 2011 12:42 am

I turned it off after he started down the civility BS path, which was within 3 or 4 TOTUS pages

7. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 12:46 am

Doug`s update @ 9:22 – "Boenher looks like his Grandad watching a doc. on Woodstock!" Ha, Ha ! Is that "Ooh, I`m gonna gomit !" or more like "I ain`t never seen nothin` like that !" or "What the hell are they doin` ?"

8. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 12:48 am

MM linked to a leaked copy of the speech, I scanned it, nearly got sick, went back to her comments and here !

9. Doug on January 26th, 2011 12:55 am

That's okay, I watch so you don't have to!

Although Halle Berry in the cat outfit is a much better alternative than this!

10. OK_Loyalist on January 26th, 2011 12:59 am

Monica Crowley had a damn good point last weekend. Where and when is the next TEA party march on DC for the repeal of Obamacare. Obama isn't changing his agenda, he just changing how he is being seen.

11. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 1:01 am

Precisely what I`m waiting on – it hasn`t got there yet !

Great job at MM`s BTW !

12. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 1:16 am

Polishing a train wreck – way too late ! (cleaned it up – family friendly w/s)

13. Ken in Texas on January 26th, 2011 1:23 am

I'm playing the drinking game, Doug. I watched for 20 minutes, clutching my bottle of Cuervo Gold, and I have THIS to say! I AM NOT UNDER THE AFFLUENCE OF INCOHOL AS SOME THINKLE PEEP I AM!

14. OK_Loyalist on January 26th, 2011 1:25 am

1 Tequila … 2 Tequila … 3 Tequila … Floor !

15. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 1:27 am

When the time comes, step outside – you don`t have to aim to hit the yard !

16. OK_Loyalist on January 26th, 2011 1:44 am
  17. Ken in Texas on January 26th, 2011 2:02 am

I don't haf to shtep outside. we here haf toilets. And i'f been drinkin' this stuff sins I was 12. Akshully, my best frend is here and I gotta drive him hom..He's kinda drunk.

18. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 2:07 am

Wow, there really are good peeps in Texas ! Nothing like loyalty !

19. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 2:17 am

Fooaaaaauusster Brooo, hoooks ! Does a better drunk than most druuuun , huuunkksss do do dooo themmse selves !!

Never gets old ! Thanks, OK !

20. OK_Loyalist on January 26th, 2011 2:22 am

And Arnold is classic

21. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 2:34 am

Are all Air Force Lieutenants so talkative ? :-o

22. OK_Loyalist on January 26th, 2011 2:51 am
  23. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 3:32 am

It will no doubt be a tough fight, but it must be fought ! Repeal this pig in its entirety !

24. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 3:38 am

Also saw (Linked at Drudge) that AZ, TX and some other states are working on legislation to force Obama and ALL pres. and VP candidates to PROVE their citizenship before being allowed on the ballot in 2012 ! He heeee !

25. OK_Loyalist on January 26th, 2011 3:49 am

Think that is on the OK agenda as well. BTW I see your US Congresswoman has admitted she has a concealed carry permit and intends on packing at all public gatherings … Good for her

26. nannykins on January 26th, 2011 11:33 am

Didn't watch any of it – caught the last half of Rush' Haney Project. Saw some of NCIS and House Hunters International (hoping Alec Baldwin showed up on the show). Heard his "investments" shpeel this morning. What a complete farce! And yeah we do need another Tea Party in DC to show once again that we, the people, are pissed and we will hold their feet to the fire.

27. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 2:17 pm

Kay Hagan (D-NC) is packin` "unseen heat" ? Heath Shular made nat`l news and Doonesberry because he does, but KH ? Whoa !!

28. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 2:22 pm

"(hoping Alec Baldwin showed up on the show)", nannykins, nannykins, nannykins………you are a straaaaaange woman ! ;-)

29. nannykins on January 26th, 2011 3:05 pm

Whhhhhaaaaat – hoping Alec Baldwin showed up on House Hunters International is strange? That would be great news – that means he would be hunting for a home outside of the US!!!! And finally following thru on his threat to leave when Bush was elected!!! Or trying to avoid paying his NY tax bill.

30. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 3:51 pm

Where`d you see that – I`d like to read it !!??

31. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 3:58 pm

Oh, okay, sorry, didn`t sleep well last night ! (slides hand over head)

House Hunters "INTERNATIONAL" !! Got it….ya reckon all those folks would still be willing to help him pack ?

32. OK_Loyalist on January 26th, 2011 5:11 pm
  33. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2011 8:50 pm

That`s right, I did read that and forgot about it – she`s from way down east where the state gov. has always known was part of the state !

Traditionally, the state leg. and governors (dems) have seemed to think NC`s western border was about 100 miles east of me – and there`s another 100 (ish) miles more NC west of me ! Things are changing w/ the swing to R majority leg. for the first time in 103 yrs.

In 2004, after the remnants of hurricanes Francis and Ivan clobbered us two weekends apart, we had to sue the st. gov. to get disaster relief funds ! Our last governor is now a convicted felon, but somehow escaped prison ! (?) Blago cited him as his mentor in the pay to play game !