I’d expect this at a “children’s theater” in Berkeley, but not as much in Montana.

By way of the WSJ’s James Taranto, here’s a letter to the editor in a local paper, the Missoulian:

Open letter to MCT director Curt Olds:

First I would like to compliment you and the entire staff of “The Mikado” on the beautiful sets, costuming and professional performance we experienced on Sunday, Jan. 23. However, I must call you on something that was inserted into the play which I am almost positive was not in the original book.

The comments made in such a cavalier and oh-so-humorous way were uncalled for. Now, I realize you play to a mostly liberal audience in Missoula and so, I am sure, felt comfortable in your calling for the beheading of Sarah Palin. I am painfully aware that most in the audience tittered with laughter and clapped because “no one would miss her” but there were some in your audience who took great offense to this “uncivil tone” about another human being.

We are in the midst of a crisis that took place in Tucson where many started pointing fingers at that horrible right wing with all their hatred and targeting and standing for the second amendment and on and on and on. So, here we are in a lovely play with beautiful voices serenading us and we have to hear that it is okay to call for the killing of Sarah Palin because we don’t like her and no one would miss her. Unbelievable.

As a professional you should be ashamed of yourself, the audience should be ashamed of themselves and I am ashamed of myself for not standing up and leaving at that very moment. I would like to see an apology from you not because I want to hinder free-speech but for the hypocrisy this so clearly shows.

Rory Page, Clinton

Sounds like there’s a children’s theater director who needs to help lead The Dreyfuss Initiative to promote civility in political discourse.

Comments

16 Responses to “Missoula Children’s Theater Runs With Call to Tone Down Political Rhetoric”

1. Tweets that mention Missoula Children’s Theater Runs With Call to Tone Down Political Rhetoric : The Powers That Be -- Topsy.com on January 29th, 2011 8:24 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nika Boris, Doug Powers. Doug Powers said: Children’s Theater Runs With Call to Tone Down Political Rhetoric http://tinyurl.com/4myfvjk [...]

2. SignPainterGuy on January 29th, 2011 8:29 pm

Looks like they mis-train, mis-inform and indoctrinate them early in Missoula, MT !

Good for Rory Page, Clinton ! Be sure to hold your breath for that apology !

Dreyfuss is a first-order Doofuss !

3. OK_Loyalist on January 29th, 2011 9:16 pm

Wonder what Dreyfus would of said if that reporter would of said "Wouldn't Obowmao in a parade in an open convertible driving by a book suppository in Texas really be the best thing for this country?"

4. Clu Seatoe on January 29th, 2011 9:25 pm

Some of the questions that I have not been able to get any cogent answers to from any of the psychotic Palin deranged individuals are:

“Do you even know why do you fear her so much?”

“When I discuss her with respect to politics, I don’t get a sense of the fear. What is it about her that creates such fear and dread within you?”

“Even if Sarah Palin went all the way to the position of the presidency of the United States, exactly what is it that you think she would have the power to make you do or prevent you from doing that makes you so fearful of her that you would want to put her to death?”

5. SignPainterGuy on January 29th, 2011 9:59 pm

Excellent questions all, Clu ! You`ll be sure an post the answers here as soon as you get them, right ?!

Wuul yeah, I`m holding my breath, aren`t you !?

6. SignPainterGuy on January 29th, 2011 10:05 pm

Ha, hah ! Doofuss would have launched into a screaming diatribe that would have gotten the station an FCC fine the likes of which we ain`t never seen !!

Lightnin` bolts would`a come out his a…… !!

7. OK_Loyalist on January 29th, 2011 11:27 pm

Oh, so it would be worth it

8. joyannaadams on January 30th, 2011 12:51 am

The biggest thing that scares them about Palin, in my opinion, is that she cannot be bought. She loves her life, and America, and since America WOULD vote for an intelligent woman, they simply must destroy her.

The Rhino's have already picked their man…

As for the schools, sadly, it's no wonder our children do not learn. A lot of the teachers never learned how to think. And they get paid vast sums to keep on doing just that.

The last thing that came out of Berkely was acid, and look what that did to Grace Slick and Jane Fonda. (just kidding..Jane Fonda didn't need drugs, she trips over her mental self naturally. )

9. SignPainterGuy on January 30th, 2011 1:20 am

Lightnin` bolts can be highly entertaining !

10. OK_Loyalist on January 30th, 2011 1:40 am

Not sure where to slide this in at so … http://www.nickdip.com/site/news/here-is-a-clip-f

The Chris Mathews stuff around 4:20 is a hoot

11. E. Goldstein on January 30th, 2011 1:44 am

Since the D'Oyly Carte company was formed, it has been a tradition to insert modern political and social personalities into the verses of "If someday it might happen that a victim must be found". Personally, I've heard references to Reagan, Dukakis, and Trudeau. This is nothing new and, frankly, should be expected.

12. SignPainterGuy on January 30th, 2011 1:57 am

I saw the "nickdip…." and thought, Oh, no, OK`s fave hate object has his own website !

That was funny stuff – Hu`s on first – Dennis said Joe Biden is his comedy go-to guy when he`s blocked !
    If it weren`t for the gaffes, Bite Me would be totally worthless !

Slobbering Chrissy – "Cujo" and "Turner and Hooch" references –
    Good stuff ! I need a towel and a mop just listening to them !

13. OK_Loyalist on January 30th, 2011 2:13 am

How much opera do you think goes on in Montana ?

14. SignPainterGuy on January 30th, 2011 2:48 am

This is the first I`d heard of. Admittedly, when it comes to opera, I am intentionally deaf !

15. OK_Loyalist on January 30th, 2011 3:03 am

Here I thought they stuck to helping sheep over the fence. Learn something new everyday!

16. SignPainterGuy on January 30th, 2011 4:34 am

Two questions then;

Are they singing-dancing sheep ?

Do the sheep actually WANT to get over the fence ?