“It’s a bird; it’s a plane; it’s… the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010!”

The “you like the health care law, you just don’t know you like it because you don’t understand it” condescension is reaching comic proportions:

The MIT economics whiz who crafted President Obama’s national health-care overhaul now plans to explain the complex and controversial plan to the masses — in one long comic book.

Jonathan Gruber, a nationally recognized health economist who devised the economic underpinnings of Obamacare (Gruber hates the term), said his three comic-loving kids encouraged him to use the hip format of the graphic novel — basically an expensive comic published in book form — to tell the story of the complicated plan to 300 million Americans.
[...]
Gruber is breaking down the president’s 2,400-page legislation into illustrated, bite-sized panels for non-wonks who either don’t understand or don’t like the national plan.

Send one to the Dems in Congress first. The condensed nature will mean it’ll take them a lot less time to not read it (John Conyers will see it if they tuck it inside the latest issue of Playboy).

How about we start here instead: The US Constitution comic book.

(h/t JWF)

Comments

27 Responses to “Finally! Obamacare: The Comic Book”

1. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2011 2:50 pm

Gruber plans to condense the H/C plan down to byte-sized panels…………will that be 1200 pages or 240 ?

Will the illustrations be in the "Fairy Princess" format where the benevolent King administers care of the beloved peasants in the castle courtyard……or the more likely war-time "battlefield" format showing the jack-booted IRS Agents checking papers and dumping wallets on sidewalks w/ "showers" in the background ??!

2. OK_Loyalist on February 8th, 2011 2:53 pm

This goes perfect with … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVFdAJRVm94

3. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2011 3:11 pm

Jib-Jab vids are too funny sometimes ! They really captured the image and actions of our "Skinny-Assed Flap-Eared Hero" ! Perfection achieved !

Now where is my Eye and Brain Bleach !? I saw Shrillary in there !

4. Tweets that mention Finally! Obamacare: The Comic Book : The Powers That Be -- Topsy.com on February 8th, 2011 3:12 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by H.R.H, Whitney-RavenMaven and Toddy Littman, Doug Powers. Doug Powers said: Finally! Obamacare: The comic book http://tinyurl.com/6xrxxhm [...]

5. Marshall_Will on February 8th, 2011 3:52 pm

OK!

Too funny! For all the visual treats ( and virtuoso singing ) my fave is the text msg. saying "Hope is Here!" Gotta' give it up to Jib Jab, thanks for sharing.

Yeah I have no idea what a "health economist" is or does but clearly not up to the task this one! Isn't this "re-mix" just another form of "Failure of Message" gobbledee-gook?

6. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2011 4:25 pm

"Isn`t this …. 'Failure of Message' …..?"

Long answer – YEEEEESSSSSS !

7. Clu Seatoe on February 8th, 2011 4:42 pm

…with islamic translations available in Michigan and Texas.

8. Rick on February 8th, 2011 4:47 pm

Tea Partiers must keep the Kryptonite handy…don’t know of anything that will stop the IRS.

9. The Watcher on February 8th, 2011 4:57 pm

'It’s pretty ballsy to call the guy who helped create that utter disaster an “economics whiz” isn’t it?'

Depends on your definition of 'whiz', I suppose. Or whether you're using it as a noun or a verb.

10. Marshall_Will on February 8th, 2011 4:58 pm

Rick,

I was reading "1776" ( David McCullogh) and one of the regiments of Washington's Army was so rag-tag they were forced to resort to "placing a sprig of green on their hats" for identification!

You know, since I haven't any kryptonite handy I thought a "sprig of green" in one's hat ( or bonnet for the gals ) was an absolutely wonderful way to recall those days of Glory! Oh.., and on a daily basis.

Most of us probably wouldn't find it terribly 'convenient' to come to work dressed as Lady Liberty but who could object to a sprig? Say! Why is it you wear that on your lapel/hat? Well… I'm glad you ASKED!

11. Marshall_Will on February 8th, 2011 5:46 pm

"noun or verb" ( lol! )

Arggghh… ( OT Warning!: )

Quick show of hands, just curious ( and venting ) In late Jan. Mrs. Will and I went to renew our Passports. She thought "no big, right?" while I was cringing every step of the way.

We followed the gubmint's instructions to the 't'. I'd done some research online ( like any good husband would ) and jumped thru the hoops appropriately. Photos to such and such a size, Form blab-bitty-blah AND… Form Letter Rejection!

They only state that there "might have been one or more of the problems listed below". Now, in 'my' case it exp. almost 8 yrs. ago so I 'should' have been instructed to use a diff. Form. In my WIFE'S case, they can NOT explain why it was rejected!? Just curious, do some see this as an artificial roadblock, Standard gov. SNAFU or… is this something 'else'? Open to suggestions!

12. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2011 8:33 pm

The lovely Mrs. Will is Philippino, right ? Isn`t / aren`t the Philippines largely / majority muslim now ? Could be in their reasoning for rejection….(?)

In your case M_W, the answer is obvious ! You are a regular commenter at "The Powers That Be" ! You obviously have extremist tendencies !

13. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2011 8:41 pm

>>BREAKING NEWS<<

Meanchelle has announced that her husband has quit smoking ! She said he has not smoked for a year !

I`m calling BS on this !!! Just last month it was announced by Baghdad Bob that BHO has not smoked for 9 months ! Is BB the only liar here, or is MO also lying ?!

14. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2011 8:48 pm

Timely !

15. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2011 8:49 pm

I vote, "verb" ! But keep in mind the "h" is silent !

16. James O'Neil on February 8th, 2011 9:40 pm

After seeing the comic book story, in the Boston Hearald, I was thinking ,that the pols dont't think the people have enough smarts to read the full report and need it to be shown in comic book format to be understood. What an insult to the American people.

17. OK_Loyalist on February 8th, 2011 10:18 pm

BTW, It's Day #8 of the Obama Administration operating in contempt of the FLA court decision on the constitutionality of Obowmaocare. Guess if Obowmao and company can ignore the law, so can everyone else.

No sense paying taxes anymore, Obowmao has set the precedence.

18. Nanny on February 8th, 2011 10:31 pm

The whole Obummer Health Scare Plan is a joke – so why not put it in comic book form. Sad thing about this – we, the taxpayers, will probably be paying for this nonsense. Screwed again!!!

19. Marshall_Will on February 8th, 2011 11:19 pm

SPG,

Right, she's Christian ( not that See Something, Say Something J-Nap Walmartitano would know the difference? ) Actually last I read the Muslims only make up about 3% of the Population there, and cause about 97% of the problems. ( MM has some truly horrifying links in her archives! )

Not that being a PTB regular 'couldn't' be a factor it's just all the overlapping/over-reaching gubmint nitwits that contradict the 'last' clepto-crat you JUST spoke with! They offer all kinds of excuses but as usual ( no real explanations! )

I would simply say, if any of Doug's readers anticipate a trip overseas.., start on your passport yesterday! Sheesh.., they're unreal.

20. SignPainterGuy on February 9th, 2011 12:16 am

I wish you luck and curse the bureaucracy with you !

21. OK_Loyalist on February 9th, 2011 12:31 am

My fav of that vid is the °O° version of the Batlight

22. The Watcher on February 9th, 2011 12:59 am

But, but, but…he's NOT smoking; he's 'burning incense in the temple of his body'. It's a religious thing, yannow.

23. SignPainterGuy on February 9th, 2011 1:36 am

Should have known ! He`s such a religious kinda guy !

24. SignPainterGuy on February 9th, 2011 1:33 pm

I nearly spit my coffee at the "light" ! Hah, haaah ! I saved it !

Tech question: How do you get the little circle "degrees" symbol ? I can`t underline either ! Halp me if ya can !

25. OK_Loyalist on February 9th, 2011 2:05 pm

In XP, Start Button | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Character Map. Set Font to "System" and Select character(s) you want and then Copy. I would guess both Vista & Win7 should have similar

Can't help with the underline nor italics though ….

26. OK_Loyalist on February 9th, 2011 2:21 pm

From now on it's ….. °O°bowMao

27. SignPainterGuy on February 9th, 2011 3:04 pm

I have Win7 – it`s there, thanks ! Experimentation !

"Moused" Flap-Ears is great !