Semi-conservative radio host Michael Medved had an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal a couple of days ago in which he defended President Obama from those who believe he’s dragging the country down the financial septic tank intentionally.

Here’s just a snippet:

On his radio show last July 2, the most influential conservative commentator of them all reaffirmed his frequent charge that the president seeks economic suffering “on purpose.” Rush Limbaugh explained: “I think we face something we’ve never faced before in the country—and that is, we’re now governed by people who do not like the country.” In his view, this hostility to the United States relates to a grudge connected to Mr. Obama’s black identity. “There’s no question that payback is what this administration is all about, presiding over the decline of the United States of America, and doing so happily.”

Regardless of the questionable pop psychology of this analysis, as a political strategy it qualifies as almost perfectly imbecilic.

Let’s assume for a moment that Limbaugh’s “pop psychology” analysis is correct (since at the moment it’s not easy for anybody except perhaps Austan Goolsbee to argue that the nation is economically ascending rather than declining): Gladly presiding over and perpetuating a decline is not politically imbecilic. As a strategy it’s tried-and-true. People made to be dependent upon government will naturally vote for those politicians who pledge to keep throwing them just barely enough trough scraps on which to eek out an existence.

Does Medved think voters such as the infamous Peggy the Moocher are turned off by the fact that wild spending is driving America into an almost unrecoverable financial death spiral, or that she couldn’t care less because “it’s the entitlement, stupid”? Using Medved’s “ruining something on purpose would be dumb because they’ll turn on you” logic, Detroit should be a hotbed of conservative politics by now.

Michael Medved must think the president is an idiot. Is solving the problem of record deficits with more record deficits and ending unsustainable spending via unsustainable spending destined to do anything except weaken America? Obama either has other designs, or he’s the new poster politician for the definition of insanity and is a total dim-wit. I don’t believe the latter to be the case, but Medved must (yes, I’m defending Obama’s intellect — I can be bipartisan when the truth calls).

For the most part, any “grudge” against Obama is connected to his past statements. Would somebody look forward to the opportunity to “fundamentally transform” something they already like? And how is the casual observer supposed to view somebody who remained a member of a church whose longtime pastor said things like “God damn America”? As a flag-waiving old-school America-lover?

It’s really a matter of definitions. To Obama and his like-minded progressives, creating a gigantic dependency class along with insane spending shams, health care takeovers, “green” boondoggles and scratching union backs with taxpayer money strengthens America — their vision of America — the one they’re working to “fundamentally transform.” To more conservative types, this is a detriment to the country, is weakening America, and Michael Medved thinks it’s just an accident.

But as Bill Clinton might say, “It depends on what your definition of ‘weaken’ is.”

Comments

14 Responses to “Michael Medved: Hey Palin & Limbaugh, Obama Isn’t Trying to ‘Weaken America’”

1. Marshall_Will on February 16th, 2011 6:18 pm

"Would somebody look forward to the opportunity to “fundamentally transform” something they already like?"

….?

Uh… I don't really have an answer for that Doug, but it's a good question!? LOL. Reminds of the one scene from the series "Coach" where his TV reporter GF Christine comes out of the bedroom wearing this 'really' nice negligee` and Coach blurts out ( in his typical inarticulate fashion )

"I LOVE that on you Christine. Now take it off!!!"

2. Clu Seatoe on February 16th, 2011 7:38 pm

Is Medved privy to some information that the rest of the public isn’t? Does Medved have the o’combo to the o’files that holds the data that gave him the idea that Mao, at some point in his life “liked” America?

Sorry, Medved, insufficient data to support such a ridiculous hypothesis with all proof from the last two plus years to the contrary. I absolutely agree with every word of Limbaugh’s statement as do tens of millions of others.

And that includes Peggy the Moocher and millions just like her as attested to by her words and her exuberance.

Hey, Medved, step out of your man cave and absorb some reality.

3. nannykins on February 16th, 2011 7:58 pm

The thing that has really stood out since the immaculation of O'Dummer is the number of liberals who defend him. They don't defend his policies – they defend him because of his color – all so they can call the opposition RAAAAACCCIIIISSSSSTTTT. It is completely repugnant to me.

I have said it before and I will say it again. I don't hate him – I hate his idealogy, his theory and his agenda. That is not racist because I felt the same way about Clinton and Carter – especially Carter – he was an all out failure.

4. SignPainterGuy on February 16th, 2011 8:52 pm

As I said yesterday, Mr Medved seems to think Zero isn`t trying to destroy America because no past prez has………..sorry, but I`m going with the more than 2 years of evidence that says that Zero IS an America Hater and wants to bring her down !

I too don`t care about Obumble`s race, marital status, age and wouldn`t care if he were some as yet unknown 3rd gender; I hate what he stands for, not him !

5. Marshall_Will on February 16th, 2011 8:55 pm

"Is Medved privy to…"

Must be so because apparently I'm completely in the dark. There's nothing wrong with trying to place the horrific events of the last 3 years into some sort of historic 'context'. I take no exception to that and it was somewhat refreshing to talk about Presidents-past ( if only to get a brief media-prieve from the 'current' one? )

But all one need do is peruse the Archives [here] at Michelle's Place, Hot Air etc. to witness first hand how REAL journalist have chronicled ( in painstaking detail! ) how President Obama has done everything within his over-reaching power to dismantle and derail this country at every turn.

COULD be.., Michael is having us on a bit mate. We'd been fed a steady diet of "The Shrub is a fricken idiot!" ( and still somehow wiley enough to pull off 9/11 as an inside job! ) for 'how' many years? Hell, I've had Libs say that cr@p in the same breath! So this may not be over. Let's see.

6. Marshall_Will on February 16th, 2011 9:33 pm

Well right, like none of us have ever had a Black boss, co-worker, Drill Sgt./teacher or gov. employee in a position of authority over us before?

In fact, I'd say in most cases, if you haven't, either you're very new to the workforce or live in N. Idaho or something. Dude is 'Black' ( not an alien )

If Michael is looking for anyone that's demeaned the Office ( start at 1600 Penn. Ave. )

7. Doug Powers tries to give Michael Medved a clue « The Daley Gator on February 16th, 2011 10:42 pm

[...] Powers delves into Medved’s belief that President Obama is NOT trying to weaken America! Semi-conservative radio host Michael Medved [...]

8. SignPainterGuy on February 17th, 2011 3:27 am

I was playing with black / colored / negro kids well before the civil rights movement, before integration, still have black friends from the first days of school int., worked with numerous black folk (don`t remember any direct bosses but plenty of co-workers), thoroughly enjoyed waiting on them at the local hardware store ! Most of the animosity between races passed me by and I didn`t try to catch it ! IOW, I got along fine with anyone who wanted to be "gotten along with" and wasn`t looking for trouble ! I do recognize trouble-makers and I know they come in every color and race and socio-economic package – I like to avoid them !

9. TheZooKeeper on February 17th, 2011 12:43 pm

Hey Mikey, stick to movie reviews.

10. Marshall_Will on February 17th, 2011 12:51 pm

SPG,

Great observations, and a great childhood. What is incredible is that the Elitist Left packaged/promoted BO as "something entirely 'new', something 'you' have never SEEN before!?"

Excuse me? Yes, as incredible as it may seem to the EL, nearly 'all' of us have met/worked with Blacks that had a command of English and didn't talk like stereotypical PIMPS! Sheesh.

And this from an EL that lived in -all WHITE- gated communities, went to private schools and belonged to pvt. clubs! Their only interaction w/ minorities being at fundraisers and as 'employees'. Telling 'us' in the middle/lower middle class we had to be more open minded? Oy vey.

11. SignPainterGuy on February 17th, 2011 2:59 pm

Yeah, when he hates a movie, I usually like it !

12. SignPainterGuy on February 17th, 2011 3:04 pm

It`s nice to be important, but it`s more important to be nice !

13. Obamao on February 17th, 2011 9:34 pm

Medved is a loon. The only thing he is knowledgeable about is the location of every drug dealer in the US. He needs to wake up.

14. Michael Medved Does Not Speak for Me! | The Lonely Conservative on March 9th, 2011 3:30 am

[...] isn’t the first time Mr. Medved has shown up on my radar, but it is the first time I’ve taken the time to comment. I’m starting to wonder if [...]